my macbooks was stolen! help me find a new laptop to fill the void!
Apr 3, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 30
like a jacka** i left it on the plane. ATA airlines. i checked with lost and found and no-one turned it in. NEWSFLASH. Ata officially filed bankruptcy and closed down today. that's the edited story. i left out the part that i have a desktop pc and all the programs for that too, like the adobe stuff, so i can get a pc if needed.---i was looking at asus yes, as well as the lenovo stuff. still undecided. price range is 1500 or under, i dont mind buying used. i was checking out some deals on laptopcloseout.com

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like a jacka** i left it on the plane. ATA airlines. i checked with lost and found and no-one turned it in. NEWSFLASH. Ata officially filed bankruptcy and closed down today. that's the edited story. i left out the part that i have a desktop pc and all the programs for that too, like the adobe stuff, so i can get a pc if needed.---i was looking at asus yes, as well as the lenovo stuff. still undecided. price range is 1500 or under, i dont mind buying used. i was checking out some deals on laptopcloseout.com

Maybe the airline stole your laptop, and in order to cover up their track they filed bankruptcy to destroy the clues....

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 30
well the lady did say over the phone "black macbook, let me see" then came back and said "yeah i have a black macbook" thenasked for my login info. then after i wouldnt give it to her she said she didnt have a black macbook. thank good ata is dead.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 30
Just buy another MacBook...
wink.gif

They are cheap, and its pretty clear that you like them.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the lady did say over the phone "black macbook, let me see" then came back and said "yeah i have a black macbook" thenasked for my login info. then after i wouldnt give it to her she said she didnt have a black macbook. thank good ata is dead.

I don't get it...you were that close to getting in back, then you just ditched that idea all together? I mean, I totally understand not telling her your login stuff, but couldn't you have gone down there and snatched it back yourself?

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 30
i would wait for the new 45nm C2D's to hit laptops before buying one... which would be around 2nd/3rd quarter... if you can wait...

Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.60GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.40GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.10GHz

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it...you were that close to getting in back, then you just ditched that idea all together? I mean, I totally understand not telling her your login stuff, but couldn't you have gone down there and snatched it back yourself?

I don't get it either, if it was me, I won't leave until I get to see that black macbook she's talking about. It's either I see that black macbook and confirm it whether it's mine or I'm calling the police.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 30
You should at least write them a letter informing them that the Macbook they found is likely yours. The reason you want to do this is so it can be considered as an involuntary bailment (i.e. they're holding your property) rather than found property. A bailment won't be considered part of their assets in bankruptcy, so you'll have a chance to get it back. Send a copy both to their lost and found and to their legal department. Try to include the serial number. If you registered your Macbook's warranty when you first got it, the serial number is available on Apple's website.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #26 of 30
I have a T61 that's technically a work computer. When I got it set up I was saddened to see that the LCD was far inferior to the FlexView screen on the old T42 we have. I've since learned that it can't even be profiled correctly with any of the calibration hardware I've tried, which makes it very difficult to use for photo editing. The small ThinkPads have screens with ridiculously low contrast ratios, so they'd be even worse. Apparently Lenovo eliminated the FlexView (S-IPS?) panels with the T61.

Build quality is also not as good. It's got the metal hinges, great keyboard, etc. of course, but the case has loose plastic and flexes easily. If I sit the laptop on my lap with my legs apart, the right speaker buzzes like crazy because the body is flexing slightly and touching something inside. Also, the hard drive is noisy as hell.

I would not have purchased this as my personal laptop. As it turns out, it doesn't even function well for the work application, since the Ricoh cardbus adapter it uses has such low bandwidth it's essentially useless if you want to use an external PCI adapter box.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 30
it seems like you accidentally abandoned the laptop due to neglect, so it wasn't stolen. luckily, the airline seems to have recovered your laptop and is holding it, but you aren't putting in much effort to check and retrieve it. to be honest, it doesn't sound like you're handling the situation very well...

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 30
After having pc's for 7 years and a mac for almost 2 yrs i can tell you
this you will not be as happy without another mac or getting yours back
and if you do go back to a pc try to get it with xp till they work out
vista's bugs if they ever do seems like windows 7 will be out before then.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #29 of 30
Sounds like the Lost and Found did have your laptop. With your log-in info, she probably would have checked if it worked and then given it to you.
Whats the harm of telling the person your user name anyway. As long as you get your $1800 machine.

If you have everything password locked, would anyone else be able to use the computer anyway?

I would imagine an airplane to be a hard place to steal a laptop anyway. Most passer-byers would see it and mention something, or at least notice someone from another seat reach over and grab it. That how i see it at least, I'm not as clever as a thief might be.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #30 of 30
If you set the master password in filevault no one but you can get in
the home folder and if for some reason you forgot it ,a trip to the Apple
store is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back