My MacBook Air Headphone Out Sucks... options?
Oct 8, 2008 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, so my new MBA is lovely but it sounds like garbage through the headphone jack. It's especially disappointing because my old PowerBook G4 had one of the cleanest hp-out's that I've heard from a stock computer. Anyways, what are good options for me to improve my computer's sound?

I've been considering the D2, D3, or Lyrix DAC/amps. Are there any other options out there that I should be considering?

My budget is ~$200, although the cheaper, the better. I will be using Shure E500's.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Using mine with a Predator and it sounds really great but it is not my primary rig.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't really have that many options seeing how you only have one usb port. I wonder how a usb dac would be with a hub..

Jeez, someone's a little sour about the MBA? I'm not looking for people to evaluate my computer, just my music options
dt880smile.png

I barely use even the one usb port. Everything is wireless, except the occasional iPod sync.

As for the Predator... way out of my price range!

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm not sour on the MBA. I'm just suggesting that you might have already used the usb port for something else and thus usb is not an option, and that using a usb hub might not yield good results. I really don't know about that one.

But, mini3 is good.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, someone's a little sour about the MBA? I'm not looking for people to evaluate my computer, just my music options
dt880smile.png

I barely use even the one usb port. Everything is wireless, except the occasional iPod sync.

As for the Predator... way out of my price range!

well then D2 Boa is perfect for u.

its $165.

i am using it for my laptop> FooBar>ASIO4ALL

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 10
I assume the MBA headphone out is a dual analog/optical so I'd say you keep on eye on Audiogon and eBay for vintage DACs. You can find some amazing deals for $200. This is if portability is not a concern.

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 10
Does the HP out have optical built in? If so you could grab a D1 and do some opamp rolling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back