My little Italian Greyhound died yesterday.
May 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Salvatore and I had been best friends and roommates for the past 14 years. I got him and my MinPin Fritz for company after my marriage ended, and the both of them had essentially become my family. Sal had been slowly deteriorating from liver disease for the past 2 years, and yet had been holding up pretty well until late last Sunday when he took a turn for the worse. I thought I was going to lose him a year and a half ago, but after a short hospital stay he made a near full recovery, so yesterday afternoon when I took him to the vet, I guess I was hoping the same thing would happen. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and the doctor suggested it was time. He left Sal and I in the room together for 5 minutes so I could say my goodbyes. As the doctor came back into the room Sal mustered up enough strength to raise and turn his head to look at me. Looking at his gentle, trusting, little face for that last time nearly killed me. I can't believe how empty the house feels this morning without him. Rest in peace little buddy.

SalvatoreWebMed.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

May 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 39
I feel you pain man, hope you can find some comfort in memories, I know I do

Takes time though ...sucks dogs don't have the same lifespan as parrots or humans..

Wish you all the best.

May 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 39
That's so sad to hear. I've lost two pets as well over the years. The most wonderful thing is though that you gave him a happy life and even helped him live longer. He lived that extra one and a half years because you loved him, more than anything and I'm sure he knew that when it had to come to an end, it was with love that you let him go painlessly. His spirit will live on.

May 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 39
Really sorry to hear!
frown.gif

Sadly we outlive most of our pets, and some day its time to say goodbye.

At least it seems like you have some great memories, so use them for what they are worth. All the best!

May 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 39
I felt so sad when I read this
frown.gif

It's absolutely heartbreaking when our pets die. They have such unique personalities and become so much a part of the family that it's just unbearable when they're no longer here. But try and take comfort from the fact you gave Sal a great life and you made him very happy. You loved him, cared for him, and kept him safe, and all his lovely memories are because of you. Focus on that during the sad times and give yourself time to grieve. Be kind to yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 39
My consolences for the loss of such a dear family member, Mike.

May 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 39
So sorry, man. The passing of someone so loved and unconditionally loyal is totally heatbreaking. Had 3 pets pass in my lifetime and it hasn't been easy for the family. Hang on in there. The memories will stay.

May 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 39
Very, very sorry to hear that. It sucks to lose your pet. I wish you all the best. Just remember him, seems you really liked him.
frown.gif

May 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 39
My sincerest sypathy.

11 months ago I had to say my last goodbye to my beloved Maizie, our third dog. Just last night I commented to my wife how I still miss her. She was 13 when it was time. Simply amazing what an important part of our lives they are.

May all your memories of Sal be good ones. He will always be part of the fabric that is your life and love.

May 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 39
So sorry for your loss, Sal looks like he was really special...a friend sent this to me when my Molly died...it would be nice if it happens this way...

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over…. together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back