My latest 2 SACD purchases...AWESOME
Dec 2, 2003 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LanceTX24

Head-Fier
1. Vivaldi: Four Seasons Stern / Oistrakh / Ormandy

Isaac Stern is excellent, as always. My favorite track...10
F Minor, OP. 8, NO. 4 "Winter" Allegro non molto

2. Roxy Music Avalon

WOW! Such rich music...so much going on and all incredible.

Just thought I would share...later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lance

Dec 2, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
While we are on the subject, I wonder whether anyone has listened to the Gil Shaham/Orpheus Chamber 's recording and what do they think

I own this version myself. Although I have not heard many others, I have enjoyed this one very, very much.

My favorite track is always "Winter - Concerto in F minor - Largo (#11)".

Recommended!

Dec 2, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 15
OMG! Ok, perhaps that is extreme but OMG!

Listening to the Concerto for two Violins on the same SACD as mentioned above. INCREDIBLE. I literally cannot keep a smile off my face. Beautiful, symmetric synergistic violin playing by Stern and Oistrakh.

The SACD brings out so much that I never heard in the Redbook version. For a while I kept looking around thinking something was sounding around me until I realized it was the bow movements and breathing. Incredible....Thank you Head-Fi for opening my ears to such robust clarity that is SACD!

Lance

PS. The Concerto for Two Violins was originally recorded December 31, 1959 in New York. DSD is breathtaking.
600smile.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 15
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jpelg

I own this version myself. Although I have not heard many others, I have enjoyed this one very, very much.

My favorite track is always "Winter - Concerto in F minor - Largo (#11)".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, in this "Winter" track Shaham performed with an intensity and feeling that is so different from other renditions that I have heard. In a way it reminds me of how Jacqueline duPre gives a unique performance on the Haydn concerto that is different from other performances. The included video clip in the package on the Winter track is also a nice bonus.

Cheers,
W

Dec 2, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Yup, Avalon is a fantastic SACD. One of the best sounding in my collection, a real reference disc. Of course I shelled out for the import version not knowing it was coming out domestically but still worth it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 15
MarkL,

Actually it was an earlier post by you about Avalon that made me recognize it when I saw it in SACD at the store. I knew it would be good by what you had said earlier and I was not disappointed.

BTW, I have really enjoyed reading your post here. Very informative and I can live a little vicariously through your
modded 555 ...someday...someday soon I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Lance

(Listening to SACD Blonde on Blonde {Visions of Johanna} as I type this...would have picked it up eventually but due to a comment you made a while back went out and got it...thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif
My wallet hates you!

Dec 2, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

thanks again My wallet hates you!

He he. Maybe you should put me on your "Ignore" list. Cheers.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back