My impression of Edifier S3000 Pro
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

antonpinchuk

New Head-Fier
I watched many YouTube sound tests where Edifier was compared with AirPulse side-by-side. They told that S3000 has a musical character comparing to monitor speakers. By the fact I have the feeling that the scene is just digitally faked.

Embedded DAC spoils all the details, either in USB ASIO and Bluetooth connection modes. With external DAC it works much better. But still sounds cheap and digital.

Architecture

Edifier S3000 Pro has both balanced inputs on the master speaker, I assume that it has stereo DAC inside. Then the left channel analog signal is converted back to digital to transmit to the slave speaker where it's again passing through conversion to analog. While testing my own S3000 I have a strong feeling that the left slave speaker sounds less detail than the master one.

On other hand, in Airpulse A300Pro each speaker has it's own mono DAC and amp (each speaker has it's own balanced input). This architecture is making digital signal transmitted to a slave speaker without change and converted there on mono DAC, making minimal loss even in non-pro mode. The only issue with Airpulse is AUX input, that, like Edifier, has noticeable double conversion problem.

Another issue of S3000 Pro is that it does not have a "pure direct" mode. The balanced signal always goes through volume/presets control, which is not implemented well. I found that it loses quality on lower volume while using speaker's embedded control, that does not happen while controlling volume with external preamp. So I turn the speaker's volume to maximum, but still it does not make it "pure direct", as well as it produces a slight white noise.

Build and drivers

Unlike the digital stuffing, the mechanical part and assembly is implemented well. The membrane tweeters and mid bass drivers have a potential. Based on videos I saw they use foam and wrap internal wires to reduce distortions. I have no complains here.

My sound test videos:

Conclusion

I'm disappointed in this speakers. Wrong architecture and probably cheap components for that price. The marketing targeted to impress unexperienced consumers and even fool some "experts". Significant sound detail loss while using digital inputs, more or less acceptable with external DAC.

Externally look solid and mechanically perfect (for their price range), but electrical and digital implementation is spoiling everything.

Average consumers are happy. Audiophiles, just pass by, don't buy. I personally decided to keep them. But I'm looking the way to do some tuning, implementing "pure direct" mode, and probably make them wired. Welcome to advise.

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Update:

I want to use Edifier S3000 Pro as monitors connecting external DAC with preamp to XLR input. But it does not have pure direct mode.

It has 4 digital EQ presets but by default they all turned off when you turn on the device, and when I turn on the preset there is no way to turn it back, only restart device.The first mode is "monitor" that just brings highs lower, but I figured out that default mode (without presets) sounds more detail (just highest are to loud), I hope digital EQ is bypassed in that mode.

Another issue is that when you turn device on, it uses ~85% of maximum volume, even when was turned off on 100%. I compared sound and that default mode looked more detail and natural for me.

I ended up to not change any volume/preset after turning on assuming this will be the closest to "pure" mode. But I could not find any proves that default mode is that one.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Had those good one month ago. Close to the wall on the desk so placement was far from ideal... Used usb input.
: Bass was great and much better than 99.9% of headphones
: Mids very poor with all presets except Dynamic
: Highs poor and lack air with all presets except Dynamic
: Soundstage is decent with dynamic preset and poor with other presets
: Imaging is highly depends on ear height and the distance between listener and the speakers.

All in all fantastic speakers for movies, gaming, less demanding music genres like metal, rock, edm, some pop.
There are similar quality speakers at this price range, but all of them have pathetic bass response whitout sub.

Step up from these would be Airpulse a300pro, but better still Genelec speakers + glm + sub or Neumann speakers + Ma1 + sub or something similar.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I have replaced Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus with TOPPING D70. The last one sounds better and capable to play DSD. However it is still a huge gap with Airpulse.

I made a video comparing Airpulse A300Pro with and without TOPPING D70.

I still aimed to upgrade my Edifier, but can't find any info, so will try to investigate myself how to upgrade. My plan is to enforce power supply and implement direct XLR input switch.

As well as I plan to upgrade both of my DACs

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 5
After i auditioned some high end active speakers i noticed how much they wipe the floor with most passive speakers regardless of amp or dacs or cables used in passives.
Kii 3, dutch and dutch 8, Neumann upper models, Genelec ones just wipe the floor with any headphones regardless of dacs and amps those dont use any fancy dacs or amps.
I would just get studio speakers, dac/preamp and sub if needed if i were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back