My Horror story with the ER6i
Nov 8, 2005 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

geforcewong

100+ Head-Fier
My ER6i headphones just came in today and I wanted to try them out. I wetted the tip as the instructions said, and lifted my ear and plugged my ears with the IEM. Music sounded pretty good, listened for about 10 minutes and decided to take them out. That's when it got scary. On my right ear, the thing was in so deep my fat fingers couldnt pull the IEM out. I finally managed to get it off by pulling on the cord(which is supposedly a big no no but I had no choice). When I tried taking out the left one by twisting the headphone and slowly wiggling it, the IEM came out but the Tri-Flange was stuck in my ear!!! It was pretty deep and I couldnt get it with my fingers so I ended up having my mom get them out with some tweezers
frown.gif
. Right now I'm too scared to put them back on...perhaps I should try the foam tips???

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 29
Try the foam tips, it may work better for you. The foam surrounds the actual hard plastic tube which tunnels sound into your head, and is wayyyyyy more better in staying on the stem. Although I don't have the problem where I can't grip the body of the ER-6i to pull them out, I have on a few occasions have a triflage stuck up my ear. No biggie though, since I have no problems taking them out.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 29
maybe I stuck it in too deep? But yea I tried the foam tips and I like them a lot but it looks like the foam tips will wear out eventually which will cause me to have to spend more money on foam tips.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 29
Maybe you shouldn't wet the tips 'cos you might be sticking them too deep due to the lubrication.
icon10.gif
I use flange tips on my UM2s and depending on how convenient it is, I either screw them into the ear or pull up the tip of my ear and screw the flange in. Always be careful when taking them out though, you don't want to tug too hard but pull smoothly with even pressure, or unscrew them out slowly.

I tried a pair of e3c using the soft grey sleeves and one of them got stuck cos I forgot I was wearing IEMs and pulled too quickly on the earphone. Nothing a pair of tweezers can't solve, but it was a nervous and sweaty twenty minutes of trying with fingers.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 29
I suggest 2 things:

not wetting the tips (pretty gross- bacteria + ears = no)
twisting the canalphone back and forth slightly while removing

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 29
I swear I saw almost the exact same post a few months ago. Don't stick it in too far, the key is a good seal. I find that even if the flange is at the outer edge of your ear, as long as the seal is good you should be fine. So don't just push it really hard in, try to work on getting a good seal instead. To start out, try pulled your ears upward to stretch your ear canal and sticking the IEM in and then letting go of your ears.

Wetting the tips would make it easier to get a seal, but I find that water will cause it to seal very tightly and you often have trouble removing it. So I don't recommend wetting it.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 29
Before attempting to remove the ER-6i, you can break the seal by pulling down and out on your earlobe. That and a twisting motion seems to do the trick for me.
etysmile.gif

BW

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 29
Call Ety customer service. I have found them very nice, competent people. Etymotics has available via their Customer Service - variations of the standard tips. It sounds, in your case, that you will probably want either the "large" sized tripple flange or the large double flange tips (there are also small versions of each) - they will undoubtedly offer to send you a pair of both for you to try at no cost. .......I found, under normal circumstances that the best sound is with the flanged tips and not foamies .....they are, in my opinion, best used for flying or possibly trains - extremely noisy situations.
etysmile.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 29
In regard to wetting the tips..........there are lots of things better than using water..,or spit. A few examples are - Otic Ease, KY Jelly (or its' alternative brands), contact lens wetting solutions....... They will all have dried out by the time you normally will have removed the Ety's......... It also sounds as if he needs a larger-sized tip (note: he had trouble grasping Ety body for removal). Call Ety Customer Service - they have good competent people there, and will undoubtedly offer samples of more appropriately-sized tips for him to try - without cost! Also, you will find that sometimes one of the flanges will collapse (resulting in muffled sound in that ear). So it helps if you, upon initial insertion, pull the Ety ever so slightly outwards to preclude such collapse. But, not soo much as to impair the seal (yes, you will learn to do it effectively). It is worth the time to adapt to your Etymotics - they are simply provide the best portable sound short of getting Sensaphonics

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 29
I had the same problem with the ERis. I preferred using the triple flange tips, but had real trouble getting them out. Then I tried the Shure tips. The stalk is longer (I trimmed it flush with the last flange). That little bit of extra stalk made all the difference.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 29
Hmm so the triple flange that came with my ER6i is the medium sized one and not large? I guess I should try out that customer hotline, although I can't believe they'll just send me larger tips for free
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 29
Haha, at least I'm not the only one with that experience
icon10.gif
!!! One of the silicon tips on my ER-6i are loose, so I don't use them anymore since I had one similar experience, but luckily, they weren't imbedded that deeply so I could take them back out. Now I use foam tips. They provide a better seal and I find they're also easier to pull out, but not easier to put in.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 29
Are you pulling up on your ear as you wiggle the earphones out? Stretching your ear in this way increases the size of the canal for easier removal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back