My heart is in pieces :(
Mar 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Tigress

Head-Fier
As I write this on a borrowed friend computer...my heart is in pieces and I am in tears.

I have now lost all of my data in a physical crash of a harddrive. the disk only click nothing more

For the last five years I have been taking picture of my loved ones friends and family, movies, writing poems and documents...

and all of that had been lost...lost
frown.gif

I never know harddrives can fail. I am no computer wizardress and I have no idea that I had to backup the files. if only someone have told me..if only I knew

I tried to contact agencies to recover data but they are asking a lot of money, which who I don't have. over 700$..I might have to take a loan if the bank give me the money

every time i think of what I have lost I depresse...

please everyone backup your data before it is too late.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 98
Very sad
frown.gif
hopefully the disk is recoverable, yeah, it's expensive, but the work has to be done meticulously, in a clean room.

For the future at least, look to use a few sites like flickr and deviantart and post all your content, once you get in the habit of it, your files will always be online. Also for assignments and stuff, I make a point of emailing the files to myself regularly, sometimes having a backup can be life saving even if your computer hasn't died.

My drive image is already couple of months old, so I'll be sure to back up again soon!

edit: If you are seriously looking at using professional recovery services, I wouldn't power it up again. There can be tricks to get the drive working long enough to copy the data off, but this is obviously a risky proposition. Best of luck.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 98
sad to hear that... but its worth to recover your memories.. next time please get an external drive to back your files.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 98
Removable hard disks are cheap enough these days that everyone should have one for backup purposes. Sure, it's not the greatest backup solution, but it's better than none at all.

Photos are precious -- most people still don't realise this until it's too late.

Sorry about your situation.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 98
thank you guys you make me feel better...i appreciate your encouragements

i will do it for sure in the future. backup, backup, backup.

Quote:

Toss it in the freezer for the night, then try to plug it in again.

Will that make it wok? I am afraid to make it less repairable
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 98
I had a close call about a year ago. My macBook Pro just refused to wake up, and I was in panic. I then learned about transfer mode and managed to copy almost all data that was stored on the hard drive. Sure you can't do something similar?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 98
Tigeress

Were you in the middle of using the computer when the "crash" happened ? or did you find that out when you started the computer?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a close call about a year ago. My macBook Pro just refused to wake up, and I was in panic. I then learned about transfer mode and managed to copy almost all data that was stored on the hard drive. Sure you can't do something similar?

This is firewire & mac only, I don't think any pc bioses will let you do this. Regardless, a crashed drive shouldn't be powered on, you were rather lucky!

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 98
Especially if all you here is click, click, click, it maybe something wrong with the head of the drive that's malfunctioning. Something about freezing it will temporarily fix it, long enough to get all important stuff off of that drive. I've had 2 hard drives that did that, and was able to get all important stuff off by freezing it and then plugging them back in.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by d(((--)))b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tigeress

Were you in the middle of using the computer when the "crash" happened ? or did you find that out when you started the computer?

In the middle...it just made a loud click and then started clicking and clicking and clicking
frown.gif

now when I start my computer it clicks and it do not get detcted by the computer

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 98
Freezing over night will definitely bring the HDD below the manufacturers specs for operating temperatures, so this doesn't even sound like a good idea. Pay your money and have a professional look at it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 98
oh no... I suggest you keep it turned off... And search for companies who can guarantee they can recover your data...

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 98
Hard drive data retrieval is a very slow and painstaking process, that's why it costs so much. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back