My headphones are crackling sometimes.
Oct 24, 2011 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

da9da9

New Head-Fier
My headphones are crackling sometimes. It is ultrasone hfi580 and it crackles playing music, movie or something using computer. I think some cracking noises are because of bad soundcard or bad recording condition. those noises comes from certain point of music and movie. So I can hear the noises if I play the point back again. But, the others aren't heard although I play back again. It is rare but it is. and i think , it also do comes from left side of the headphones, it  usually comes from right side. it sounds like electric spark. actually i exchanged it once and this is the new one. i dont sure but it hadnt come form old one. i wonder if my headphones are okay or not.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 14
High volumes only? 

Any particular pitch range? (e.g. only heavy bass/explosions, etc.)

Are you using any eq settings?

Are you running other programs at the same time? 

Have you tried them from a different source to see if it happens when not using the computer as source?

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
High volumes only? 

Any particular pitch range? (e.g. only heavy bass/explosions, etc.)

Are you using any eq settings?

Are you running other programs at the same time? 

Have you tried them from a different source to see if it happens when not using the computer as source?

first of all, i usually dont hear music or something in high volume. i try not to listen in high volume.

and...particular pitch range.. hmm.. im not sure but it seems bass.

i dont using eq settings and i am not running any other spacial programs at the same time

when i used the headphones for cdp, i had heard weird sound. so i played flac from computer and i heard same noise same point.

sometimes it wasnt but at that time, i can hear the noise from it only for cdp at the same point.

i'm not sure...but, i think i expreienced same case from cdp.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 14
Is it persistent and shows up on many recordings? or just that one? 

Maybe it's a problem with that recording - not your headphones/system.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 14
many of the sources and recordings makes that noises. i mean it seems persistent. it makes me crazy :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 14
do you have speakers, or another pair of headphones you can try or borrow - to see if the noises show in that situation as well? 

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 14
I have sennhieser px200 and i can hear the noises but sometimes i can't although i heard the noise from hfi580. in that cases, if i try to hear the noises again by using hfi580 again, the noises are gone.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 14
That sounds more like a problems somewhere in your source/amplifier set up - rather than in your headphones. 

Hard to really troubleshoot from here though. Sorry. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 14
I wish I had a good soundcard. than i can check my headphones. :frowning2:

Dont be sorry. Thank you very much for your helping! It helps alot. :)

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 14
Do you have access to a digital to analog converter (DAC)?  This would bypass the internal audio components...

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 14
How common is it for crackling to show up in recordings? I ask because I also occasionally hear crackling sounds coming from my AD900s that I also hear on a pair of KNS-8400s during the same part of the song. Not likely that both headphones have messed up drivers, and also it's unlikely to be my soundcard as I am using a DAC (FiiO E7). What else could it be other than the recording?

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the response, Uncle Erik. I tried using the headphone out on my laptop and indeed the crackling disappeared, so it's certainly the E7 that's causing the crackling.

Since the AD900s are supposed to be easily driven, is the issue more related to the E7 not getting enough power from my laptop's USB port, rather than the headphones having too high a power requirement? I don't know too much about electronics so this is a rather haphazard supposition...

Is there any way to get around this issue (other than abandoning my E7)?

[edited for clarity]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back