My headphone journey is coming to a near end (for now)....
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 66
Those are nice!!! you guys won't let it go lol. It's all good. I ordered this stand:
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1611049331

and moved some headphones around for the amps I have. Now I have my following setups (see sig)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 66
The journey never stops,,,,, It just hits the occasional detour....

You're right. BUT....

Thing is I have some hi-fi speaker systems as well, and most of my music listening is through them. I am content with the headphone setup I have. Minus the Focal Clear which I'll eventually buy again, I can't find anything lacking (as a collective) about the headphones and amps I have. I use each for their strengths and not get hung up or focus on their shortcomings. And the amps I have I can't see why I would need to get anything else or add on for the same reason. If I only had 1 headphone I'd definitely be lacking something, but picking up a few that satisfy me in the area the other lacks, works out beautifully. Comfort was most important, thus I didn't get the Audeze planar or Hi-Fi man even though they sounded the best. They're just a little on the heavy side. And also kill my budget because i want the best they have to offer. Go big or go home.And their best headphones run North of $2,000. For that much money you can buy an exceptional pair of floor standing speakers that will be more gratifying than any pair of headphones you can throw at it. And it really goes against my principal, I can never bring myself to spending so much money on a single pair of headphones that could buy me a sublime pair of speakers. I frequent Audiogon a lot when I am in the market for something hi-fi and the deals you find there for used/demo stuff is bonkers. Kid you not I once found a flawless pair of Martin Logan Motion 20 for $550 shipped. And the guy had 300+ feedback and they all came in original packaging with nay a scuff mark or anything. I sold them a couple of months later to upgrade to the Motion 40.

When you start moving into the $3,000-$4,000 price range, which is what some of the manufacturers want for their headphones, the speakers win. And especially if you can find a flawless used pair. So putting a $6000 speaker pair within your $3,000-$4,000 range. Trust me, my friends think my headphones are the best they've ever heard, but the speakers is where they want to spend the most of the time listening. Honestly, they spend 10 minutes with my headphones but easily an hour with any of my speakers because they just want to listen to a lot of the tracks they love through the setup I have.

I love the folks here, they've been nothing but helpful and I'll still definitely be lurking or providing my feedback for the stuff I have, but my buying days I have to put my foot down on it.

PS: Oh I also was able to demo a copper vs a silver cable on the same exact $1300 headphone. Same brand of cable, same length, same connectors. One was pure silver, other copper. Could. Not. Tell. A. Difference. I swear, I played 3 tracks I listen to for every single speaker and headphone demo (MJ: Pretty Young Thing, Chris Jones: Long After You're Gone, Filous: Feel Good Inc.) and I could not discern between the fidelity, recording, clarity, soundstage. Maybe it's my hearing. Maybe the difference was there, but not in the way some folks describe it. I honestly could not tell.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 66
You're right. BUT....

Thing is I have some hi-fi speaker systems as well, and most of my music listening is through them.(snip).
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
There's your problem...... Right there.............................:triportsad:

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #25 of 66
Different strokes for different folks.

I have yet to hear a set of speakers sound as good as the best headphones I've ever heard.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #26 of 66
I remember reading this book years ago.

81VHNCSOEgL.jpg

Perhaps you need to step up to the next level.........

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 66
Different strokes for different folks.

I have yet to hear a set of speakers sound as good as the best headphones I've ever heard.

Not sure what speakers you've heard but there are plenty with the resolution the finest headphones can offer. I also love to feel my music and be surrounded by it. Sound stage is no contest speakers vs headphones. Neither is airy sound in my opinion. I love the headphones and their amps. But I find more emotionally connected with the music with speakers.

Here are a few speakers that are excellent overall. Especially for details

Bowers and Wilkins 803 series
Monitor Audio Gold 300/200
Focal be1038

And I've heard a tonne of music on these speakers at my local dealer (he's close so I go there to hang out sometimes) all running off a Peachtree Audio integrated amplifier. And they sound ridiculously awesome. So a $1500 amp plugged into $5000-$9000 speakers ($3000-$5000 used) and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back