My HD555s are broken?
Apr 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

naike

Head-Fier
Recently my right driver has started to distort sound.
I think I'll have to send them to Sennheiser for them to fix my headphones.

But has this ever happened to you?
It feels like the driver is damaged or something.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
After i did the 555/595 mod i noticed my left driver produced a bit of distortion during certain songs. It seems to have gone away now.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 10
Hopefully, you kept the foam pads to reinstall before sending them into Sennheiser, right?

Some people have mentioned distortion to be an issue after removing the foam.  Then again, they've indicated this has appeared on bass-heavy songs.  Plus, I'm not sure how hard they're pushing their headphones.  Hopefully, not to the point of damaging their hearing.

When I performed the 555 -> 595 update this past week, I did notice the internal wiring of the 555s was quite fragile.  It looks like they used 22 or 24 gauge wiring to connect to the driver on the opposite side of where the plug goes into the "L" headphone cup.  Hopefully, you didn't twist any of those wires up too much when you had your headphones apart.  

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 10
I haven't done the mod, I think it either has just come by itself, or the headphones have been damaged when I dropped them on the floor.
Either way, I think I'm going to RMA them, do you guys have any experience with sennheiser guarantee?
Also is the 555->595 mod really worth it?

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I haven't done the mod, I think it either has just come by itself, or the headphones have been damaged when I dropped them on the floor.
Either way, I think I'm going to RMA them, do you guys have any experience with sennheiser guarantee?

Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.  When I see the HD555 threads, I always assume that people were performing the mod.

I haven't dealt with Sennheiser support, only Grado.  Good luck in getting your situation resolved - I'm sure they'll be more than accomodating to resolve this for you.

Best of luck.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, I'll tell you guys how the support was.
Anyway, since the HD555s have been my "best" headphones until now, I was wondering how good they even are.
I'm still amazed by the sound they produce along with my Asus ST.
I was just wondering whether I should try RMAing the headphones, then sell them and buy better ones, my only concern is that is there anything better than the hd555s in its price range?
I remember getting them because they were almost as good as the 595 which are much more expensive?

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Can't believe people are recommending things without first asking what the 'distortion' is. I'd say it's most likely a hair on the driver.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

IMO it was worth it. Up until i did the mod the sound sounded too contained, afterwards it finally felt open.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

Really it depends on your taste, I got my 555's last week and performed the mod almost right away, things did sound more open and spacious, but the sound was unbalanced as it was severely lacking in midrange, so when people would talk in a movie you would hear the highest pitches in their voices and the lowest pitches but with very little midrange in between. What this does is it makes voices seem hollow, distant and midbass heavy (meaning even woman voices bad bass applied to their voices when they talked).

After being somewhat disappointed in the quality the mod gave me, I decided to put the foam pieces back in, and IMO the sound clarity is much better. You lose some of that openness and the lower bass seems less obvious, but what you get is better balanced sound.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Last week? Shouldn't you have waited for them to burn in a bit longer?
Anyway, I just opened my left headphone thing, and blew some air in (from a can of course), I also opened the screws to check if there was something wrong on the back. I didn't find any hair, except for 1 tiny tiny piece or hair (I think lol), but i highly doubt it was causing the distortion but who knows.
I'm now testing to see if I still hear distortion. If I do, I'm just going to send them to sennheiser, if I don't I might try that mod.
Edit: do you know any good test tracks or anything? I can't remember exactly where the distortion occurs.
I also just did that mod, and to be honest, I think I also find the mids rather weird, I'm not sure I like it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back