My HD-DVD thoughts
Sep 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 32
Sigh - watching "Accepted" (pretty enjoyable actually) when the player locked up. It sat for a couple of seconds then went dark and displayed "Cannot play disc - error #3de443".

I think it needs to go back.

GAD

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #18 of 32
Make sure to update your firmware, you can download the ISO's if you can't get the ethernet working properly.

As far as HD-DVD, I have nothing but good things to say about it. Pick up Corpse Bride or Hot Fuzz, absolutely STUNNING!@!!

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as HD-DVD, I have nothing but good things to say about it. Pick up Corpse Bride or Hot Fuzz, absolutely STUNNING!@!!

+1 on Hot Fuzz definately a must own for HD-DVD haven't seen the corpse bride HD-DVD yet

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Make sure to update your firmware, you can download the ISO's if you can't get the ethernet working properly.

First thing I did out of the box!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Corpse Bride is a stunning movie indeed. Haven't seen Hot Fuzz because it's $35. If I keep the player I'll add it to my Netflix queue.

GAD

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't seen Hot Fuzz because it's $35.

$28 at amazon i got it at a local wal-mart for $26 or 27 before my discount

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 32
yes the combo disc idea is pure dumb... if you have an HD-DVD player you wouldn't bother with the DVD side and right now with a "format war" future prrofing your collection is stupid and most people would rather just pay the ~$15 for the DVD version

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's still ridiculous. They need to let the whole "combo-disc" thing go IMHO. $20 is the magic number for me. But then, I'm cranky today.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Netflix has HD titles ya know! Since there's more and more HD starting to come out.....I am thinking about biting the bullet and getting a Toshiba A20 next month. Eventually I'd like to upgrade my reciever to HDMI as well....but I've been in wait and see mode with this upcoming technology. It's still an investment since there are so few HD titles that I'd want to own. But Blade Runner Ultimate edition, Apollo 13, T2, etc might be reason enough for me to jump on the small but growing bandwagon. Then all new movies I rent from Netflix can be HD discs. I think as far as the Blu-Ray vs HD DVD war....if one survives, it's going to be based solely on movie titles. Paramount siding with HD DVD certainly is going to make it an interesting holiday season for HD!

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #26 of 32
^Please, leave now.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #27 of 32
Watched The Kingdom on HD-DVD a few days ago and was very impressed with the picture quality. I wish I had a plasma display to fully enjoy rich blacks and no motion artifacts, but nonetheless, a great experience for someone who enjoys movies very much. I think the upconverting quality from the HD-A3 is quite good, and better than the Sony upscaling DVD player I still have, which is sitting in its' original packaging since it stopped working. I'm just waiting for at least one of the higher-end manufacturers like Denon to come out with a hybrid player that'll play both hi-def formats very well at a moderate price.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
300 is a great one but because of the way its shot it looks grainy until you get a close shot of Spartans and you can see how clear the helmets & shields look.

I don't think it's how it was shot - I believe that is deliberate digital aftereffects. To give it the 'retro aged film' look.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 32
Now that HD DVD is dead, it appears that I once again chose the wrong format. I was Betamax freak and rode that ship to the bottom for the real fact that it was better in all areas that VHS. I decided not to do that again. Toshiba was selling their players far cheaper than Sony and with history as a guide, I thought Sony would again hold onto the "we are better, lets hold the price" mentality. Microsoft chose HD, so this should have helped?? This time, at least, Sony wasn't requiring any royalty for the use of their technology as they did with Beta.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgun5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microsoft chose HD, so this should have helped?? This time, at least, Sony wasn't requiring any royalty for the use of their technology as they did with Beta.

Microsoft has no stake in HD-DVD, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back