My HD-DVD thoughts
Sep 12, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a Toshiba X-A2 HD-DVD player. The player was a birthday present and helped me pass the time while my arm healed.

I bought the XA2 because it supposedly has a better upscaling chip while also supporting 5.1 discrete analog outputs. My receiver does not support HDMI, so discrete is the only way for me to get lossless audio. At this time I have only used optical for 5.1 compressed sound. Having only one usable arm makes it tough to run cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

The player itself is nice, if not great. My main beef with the player is the lack of mature features. For example, my Sony DVP-NS90V is an excellent upscaling 1080i DVD player. One of the awesome features is the ability to remember the position of the last 5 DVDs played. If I'm watching a movie, pause it, let my kids watch something, then later put my DVD back in, the movie picks up from where I stopped it. It will do this for the last five disks played. Awesome! The HD-DVD player doesn't do this for even one disk. Some movies allow me to record bookmarks which is useful, so there is that, but it's only on some movies.

The talk of slow startup and disk loading is true, but I quickly learned to turn on the player first and this becomes a non-issue for me.

The player, though second gen, does have quircks. It locks up on me once, forcing a reboot which resolved the problem. Still, my player shouldn't hang. It hasn't happened since, but now I expect it to.

Upscaling DVDs to 1080i is supposed to fantastic on this player. Honestly I like the upscaling on my Sony better. The Toshiba player upscales well, but everything looks softer than it does from the Sony. This is not a huge issue - it's something I noticed, but everyone else in my house did not. I tend to be a bit of a PITA when it comes to stuff like that though.

The menus on HD are cool in that they overlay the video so you don't have to stop the movie to change settings and such.

So far I've watched a few movies in HD. They are:

Serentiy
Batman Begins
The Mummy
Van Helsing

I own a Sony XBR50 SXRD television and have HD cable, so I'm no stranger to HD movies. The video quality is breathtaking. The ships are *so* crisp in Serenity that for the first time I thought they looked fake. They're *TOO* good.
smily_headphones1.gif
The picture quality is as amazing as expected. No complaints there.

I discovered some things I didn't expect in my viewing.

HD-DVD and Blueray discs are freakin' expensive! Bestbuy sells the cheapest HD-DVD discs for $25. They're closer to $20 on Amazon. The real stinker is that many of the hot discs (300, Hot Fuzz) only come in combo discs. Here some marketing genius decided that we the sheep would happily pay $35 for a disc that has both HD-DVD and DVD on it. What's better is that fact that these movies, while available on DVD-only, are not available on HD-DVD-only! This infuriates me to the point that I joined Netflix. To Hell with them all.
smily_headphones1.gif

One of the big reasons for me to get into widescreen and HD is that I insist on watching movies in their originally intended aspect ratios. Nothing tweaks me like pan and scan. I love watching super-wide movies in their original glory.

Watching movies in HD, on cable, is awesome, but guess what - they're usually cropped! A Movie filmed in 2.35:1, shown on cable, is often cropped to 16:9! I'm still not getting the whole picture, and that tweaks me. When watching from disc, you get the whole movie.

So this player was $500. I paid for the better player because I wanted discrete audio out (the lesser Toshibas don't have that feature). Was it worth it?

I'd have to say no. Now that being said, I haven't heard lossless audio yet, so maybe the heavens will open and I'll be floored by delicious sound. You never know.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I were to do it again, I'd buy a Woo WA6 instead.
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think that at this point in time, if you're looking for HD, opt for the less expensive players unless your nuts - like me.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 32
I have the A1 player, so it is a first gen. regarding upscaling I have done tests with HQV and I have found that it is really good.. almost on par with my Oppo 971, but it will only upscale unprotected DVDs via components, so unless you have it connected via HDMI you are only getting 480p.

Regarding the uncompressed audio I did find a huge difference. I noticed you have a Yamaha as well, I must warn you that our receiver does not compensate for the 10 dbs needed on the LF channel via analogs, so you will have to set up your speaker balance levels on the player at least having in mind that LFE should be higher than the others in order to get the same volume. The Onkyo receiver I had didn't have this issue, and Yamaha has no solution for it even when using the serial configuration via a computer. It works perfectly fine via HDMI though.

Regarding my sources at home I found it surprising that the Toshiba HD-A1 was one of my best sources, plea<se try it out with your CDs. I believe the DACs inside it are quite good, specially since they need to handle the PCM resulting from Tru HD tracks.

I hope you enjoy the audio from HD movies as much as I did.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the excellent post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the A1 player, so it is a first gen. regarding upscaling I have done tests with HQV and I have found that it is really good.. almost on par with my Oppo 971, but it will only upscale unprotected DVDs via components, so unless you have it connected via HDMI you are only getting 480p.

HDMI here. I know about the component upscaling issues from lots of reading. My Sony is HDMI and I just unplugged the Sony and plugged in the Toshiba. No cables to run with one arm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Regarding the uncompressed audio I did find a huge difference.

Really? Now I'm intrigued! I'm assuming you have an HDMI capable receiver? The A1 doesn't have discrete out does it?

When you say "huge", are we talking jaw-dropping huge, or "I'm an audiophile - I can tell the difference" huge?

Quote:

I noticed you have a Yamaha as well, I must warn you that our receiver does not compensate for the 10 dbs needed on the LF channel via analogs, so you will have to set up your speaker balance levels on the player at least having in mind that LFE should be higher than the others in order to get the same volume. The Onkyo receiver I had didn't have this issue, and Yamaha has no solution for it even when using the serial configuration via a computer. It works perfectly fine via HDMI though.

Yeah I'd read about this issue as well, though I haven't experienced it myself having not yet used the analog out.

Quote:

Regarding my sources at home I found it surprising that the Toshiba HD-A1 was one of my best sources, plea<se try it out with your CDs. I believe the DACs inside it are quite good, specially since they need to handle the PCM resulting from Tru HD tracks.

Neat observation - I will do that.

Quote:

I hope you enjoy the audio from HD movies as much as I did.

You've definately got my curiosity piqued. Thanks!

GAD

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sector001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do high def DVD's...either HD DVD or Bluray have letter box display?

Do you mean true letterbox (like Laserdisc) or anamorphic wide screen? I don't believe they have a true letterbox display mode, but I can check the manual if you'd like.

GAD

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the excellent post!

HDMI here. I know about the component upscaling issues from lots of reading. My Sony is HDMI and I just unplugged the Sony and plugged in the Toshiba. No cables to run with one arm.
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the native resolution of your TV? Maybe that has some effect on the results you are perceiving.

Quote:

Really? Now I'm intrigued! I'm assuming you have an HDMI capable receiver? The A1 doesn't have discrete out does it?

When you say "huge", are we talking jaw-dropping huge, or "I'm an audiophile - I can tell the difference" huge?

I do have an HDMI capable receiver, but I am using the analog outs. Long story short, the AI does have analogs and does have HDMI, but cannot do HDMI audio only. It needs to have the video in there as well, and it doesn't output through components at the same time. My TV is a Tube Loewe 38" 1080i @ 100 Hz (Which I love due to colors and blacks), so until I find a new TV I am stuck with analogs for the A1.

It is huge if you pay attention. In particular I notice a big difference on LFE. I have my subwoofer calibrated as flat as possible with the help of a BFD for my room's acoustics and it is a big difference when it comes to tight bass with good resolution. If I use regular DVD or the optical out I get a lot of distortion and resonance in that field.

Regarding music in movies, there is also a big difference. It is like listening to a CD instead of a movie if you get what I mean.

Now if I take an average person into my room and they listen, they certainly are impressed by the sound, but they believe it is because the speakers and not because of the source. If I do AB with the same DVD, they do notice a big difference in audio. But it all depends, as with hi-fi gear like an amp or a good set of headphones. If you don't look for that extra sound, you probably don't need it. But since you already have it, it is just a matter of waiting until you are better and testing it with some RCAs. From the movies you have I only have listened to Batman Begins though, but I'd expect the Mummy and Van Helsing to have lossless audio.

I was also wondering about placing a headphone amp in between the A1 and teh Yamaha for teh subwoofer... hmmm....

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 32
I have the HDA2 that I got for about $350 two or three months after release. I'm pretty happy with it, no major hang-ups other than the slow start complaints. Once in a great while it wont recognize a disc (CD, DVD, HD-DVD) and I'll have to open and close or shut it off an on again but it always corrects itself.

As far as movies I have seen nothing that matches The Matrix in PQ... simply amazing! 300 is a great one but because of the way its shot it looks grainy until you get a close shot of Spartans and you can see how clear the helmets & shields look.

I'm not a bandwagon guy, it's all about the titles for me so I'd like to grab a Blu-ray player for King Arthur, POTC and some other favorites that are BRD only. I'm waiting for a good one to be out at around $350 with full 1080p and minor complaints. I was considering the BDP-S300 but I'm still on the fence.

BTW - Nice TV! I have 52" XBR3 and love it!

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 32
I picked up the A2 a few weeks ago- I'm very happy with it- I am quickly becoming an HD junkie. The purchase also spurred me to rejoin Netflix. The only gripe I have- other than the price of discs- is with the discs themselves. I have had lockups on 3 out of the 5 discs I have owned/watched. Luckily washing them with soap and water- as suggested on a few forums- works like a charm, but it's still kind of a silly annoyance on a new technology like this. Otherwise I love HD movies, TV, football- it can all be in HD as far as I am concerned. Patiently waiting for the flurry of new DirecTV channels coming my way
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Do you mean true letterbox (like Laserdisc) or anamorphic wide screen? I don't believe they have a true letterbox display mode, but I can check the manual if you'd like.

GAD

just letter box in general...some of my High Def TV channels is widescreen, but not letterboxed.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

I bought the XA2 because it supposedly has a better upscaling chip while also supporting 5.1 discrete analog outputs.

Upscaling DVDs to 1080i is supposed to fantastic on this player. Honestly I like the upscaling on my Sony better.

That's unfortunate to hear. I have the Sony DVP-NS75H and I'm very happy with its upscaling capability. How does the XA2 handle DVDs in the 4:3 aspect ratio? One of the reasons I chose the Sony over an Oppo is because the Oppo automatically stretches out 4:3 video while the Sony will upscale it in its native resolution.

Quote:

Watching movies in HD, on cable, is awesome, but guess what - they're usually cropped! A Movie filmed in 2.35:1, shown on cable, is often cropped to 16:9!

This is something I discovered a few months ago. Occasionally a movie will be shown in 2:35:1 aspect but most of the time they're cropped, at least on the major cable channels. My cable provider (Cablevision) recently added the HD Voom channels to their line up and the films are usually shown in their correct aspect ratio.

Although HD DVD is appealing to me, until the whole format war is settled and prices start to come down, I'll be sticking with standard DVDs.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sector001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just letter box in general...some of my High Def TV channels is widescreen, but not letterboxed.

I talk about that in the original post. All HD-DVD movies I've seen are in their proper native format.

GAD

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's unfortunate to hear. I have the Sony DVP-NS75H and I'm very happy with its upscaling capability. How does the XA2 handle DVDs in the 4:3 aspect ratio? One of the reasons I chose the Sony over an Oppo is because the Oppo automatically stretches out 4:3 video while the Sony will upscale it in its native resolution.

The oppo should be configurable. The only DVDs I watch in 4:3 are TV shows like Futurama. They look great - no "full frame" or stretching.

I will literally not watch a movie unless it's in it's original aspect ration. Call me a purist - my wife calls me a PITA.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 32
I do have an Oppo and it upscales it correctly if you configure it as 16:9. The HD-DVD, ate least the A1, also does this correctly. The PS3 doesn't for instance... not even on blu ray special features.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 32
Yep... I always get it stretched to fill my 16:9 display. It even changes resolutions midway to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back