My guide to making foobar pretty (usable).
Aug 9, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #121 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by wjat
someone on a different forum i visit posted this pre-configured version of fubar with a bunch of plugins already on it. the guy had gotten it off of a reliable private torrent, heres what they said about it:

nevermind

Did this have a link to the installer?

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #122 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I have a few questions.

1. What do I have to add into the track info panel's formatting string so that it will follow my cursor all the time? Now it only shows info of the track which is playing.

double-click the panel

Quote:

I would also like foobar to follow cursor all the time. So if I have one track playing on playlist A then if I select other track from playlist B I would like it to play next. Now it plays the next track on playlist A.

Playback > Playback follows cursor

Quote:

2. Where can I get custom buttons for 0.9.3?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=35270

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #123 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by wjat
someone on a different forum i visit posted this pre-configured version of fubar with a bunch of plugins already on it. the guy had gotten it off of a reliable private torrent, heres what they said about it:

nevermind

Can you pls post the link to the installer?

and ontopic: why the hell is so hard to customize foobar??
mad.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #124 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost

mad.gif

Because all the things you customize are made by 3rd party developers, for fun.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #125 of 255
Thanks for the tips acedriver. I think my 0.9.3 config is pretty much done now. Of course I didn't make it myself from the beginning. I used these instructions and configs and modified it to match my preferences.

Aug 14, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #126 of 255
Hi all. I used the instructions on the first page and things are looking fantastic! Just one thing I wanted to sort out:

I have a primary Music folder, which in turn has folders for each artist and subfolders with albums. For example:

Music
Music\Anna Nalick
Music\Anna Nalick\Anna Nalick - Wreck Of The Day
Music\Anna Nalick\Anna Nalick - Wreck Of The Day\Filename

I want the playlist tree to sort it like this too but cannot get it to do so. The only time I can see them sorted like this is if I go to Media Library --> Album View and sort by Directory Structure. But I can only save it as an fpl and the playlist tree want fps files. Is there any way to get the playlist tree like that?

Thanks,
X

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #127 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon
Hi all. I used the instructions on the first page and things are looking fantastic! Just one thing I wanted to sort out:

I have a primary Music folder, which in turn has folders for each artist and subfolders with albums. For example:

Music
Music\Anna Nalick
Music\Anna Nalick\Anna Nalick - Wreck Of The Day
Music\Anna Nalick\Anna Nalick - Wreck Of The Day\Filename

I want the playlist tree to sort it like this too but cannot get it to do so. The only time I can see them sorted like this is if I go to Media Library --> Album View and sort by Directory Structure. But I can only save it as an fpl and the playlist tree want fps files. Is there any way to get the playlist tree like that?

Thanks,
X

The playlist tree doesn't sort at all or it sorts it another way?

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #128 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
The playlist tree doesn't sort at all or it sorts it another way?

Nope it lists them per-artist or per-artist-per-album. That wreaks havoc when it come to the numerous various artist and liveset albums I have.

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #129 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon
Nope it lists them per-artist or per-artist-per-album. That wreaks havoc when it come to the numerous various artist and liveset albums I have.

To have a tree made based on your file structure you're going to need to use a custom query and have some consistency in how your albums are organized.

To add a custom query:
  1. Click Library Meny->Playlist Tree->Root->New Query
  2. Check Sort by display name after populating
  3. Change Format (*see below)
  4. Change Label to something meaningful
  5. Click OK

*I have my files organized like so: "Artist\Year. Album\##. Title". My files are 2 folders deep so I would use the format: $directory(%path%,2)|$directory(%path%)|%filename%

You seem to have your files two folders deep too, try that out.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #130 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost

mad.gif

Yeah i can't believe it. After spending about 2 hours trying to configure Foobar, I want kill myslef, but first, kill everyone involved in Foobar. It's really as if everyone is trying to do their best to make it as difficult as possible to customize foobar. I just wanted to give Foobar a chance, but it's such an incredibly huge pain in the arse to customize. Everyone is horrible at explaining how to do it, and it's like they don't want you to know how to customize it. Foobar is bar far the most un-user friendly program of all time. It's just astonishing how complicated it is to try and customize it.

Hydrogen audio is the place to get all the answers, but they won't send an activation email of course, just like every forum. Even if they did, i wouldn't be able to post for 5 days there because of some idiotic rule of not being able to use a free email provider, including Gmail.

Sep 11, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #131 of 255
i agree with you in regards to the difficulties of foobar but up to a point. if you follow the op's instructions that started this thread you can get something useable pretty quickly. that's what i did and i was going within 15 minutes. if you want to get fancy like some of the screenshots you see then it does become pretty involved. but what do you expect from open source? i like it because it has minimal system overhead and provides easy kernel streaming via asio.

i got into customizing foobar and did have some long boughts with it trying to configure it. i got into some of the coding but stopped when i realized i really didn't need to make it so fancy. so i built myself a relatively stripped down interface that does all that i need and saved myself a bunch of headaches.

yes, you can drive yourself crazy with foobar but you don't need to i guess is my point.

sorry it didn't work out for you.

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #132 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by fustercluck
Yeah i can't believe it. After spending about 2 hours trying to configure Foobar, I want kill myslef, but first, kill everyone involved in Foobar. It's really as if everyone is trying to do their best to make it as difficult as possible to customize foobar. I just wanted to give Foobar a chance, but it's such an incredibly huge pain in the arse to customize. Everyone is horrible at explaining how to do it, and it's like they don't want you to know how to customize it. Foobar is bar far the most un-user friendly program of all time. It's just astonishing how complicated it is to try and customize it.

Like you, I decided that life is too short for such a waste of time.

I'm using J. River Media Center 11 to rip CDs(securely), tag music files and play music. It FULLY supports using tags such as Composer and Conductor, allows custom tags, and provides a flexible database including database only fields (not associated with tags.) It costs $ 40 but for me, it is worth the cost.

It is straightforward to define the browser panes you want (to select a specific Artist or Album) and to define more than one such view scheme.

I'm sure that Foobar2000 is fine for people who get over the hurdle. I don't see the need for the hurdle.

Bill

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #133 of 255
I actually like the pretty much default Columns UI. Artist, Title, Album, Bitrate, Length, and Year, and then the playlists on the side. Set the background to alternating dark greys, and it's good to go. It doesn't look the prettiest but it has all the functionality and it's practical.

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #134 of 255
Foobar is an aquired taste to be sure.

This is a hobby, and I enjoy poking about, reading folks impressions, trying some snippets of code here and there. It is amazing to me the detail different users go to to obtain a particular look or function.

Foobar is all done by folks for free, and it allows many configurations, and addons, all which change over time.

I also like it because it is a low footprint music player that will play music behind pretty much anything else I want to do on the computer.

I just pretty much the stuff at the beginning here, Columns UI, Explorer, Track Info, Album art, and I play with the different color schemes, either imported, or made up by me. Got some new buttons a couple of days ago. Messy to learn the use, but they are pretty.

If you like to tinker, its great. If you want a set it up once, and let it run, it will do that, perhaps not so pretty, but it will work with just the one download.

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #135 of 255
oh lord i'm scared.

itunes 7 just totally FUBARed my tunes. total stutter. i think it's quicktime's fault. so instead i'm running ASIO out of foobar2000. it works, but the GUI is horrible. i looked at that "tie the backend of itunes to foobar" program, but of course it's for itunes 6 since itunes 7 just came out, and it won't work. how will i live? it's so easy to just rip, make playlists, put stuff on the ipod, all through itunes, i don't wanna make it harder on myself!

the REAL answer of course is to get quicktime up and running on my comp. but it totally stutters on vids and music, but all other programs play vids an music just fine. argh. i tried all the fixes suggested everywhere on the web, no go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back