biggrin.gif

Remember - I blame you for my Grado obsession (and s1rrah too
tongue.gif
).

I am only the messenger.

(sick mod bro!)

wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 23
Very nice! I'm (almost) inspired to learn how to use a lathe and do this to my SR80s. Is it all one piece of wood, or glued together? Did you just make some sort of wood 'tube' to go around the plastic driver casing, or did you pull the driver out of the plastic casing (or are the 225s totally different than my 80s?)

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlysleeping /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice! I'm (almost) inspired to learn how to use a lathe and do this to my SR80s. Is it all one piece of wood, or glued together? Did you just make some sort of wood 'tube' to go around the plastic driver casing, or did you pull the driver out of the plastic casing (or are the 225s totally different than my 80s?)

Two pieces of wood. You would take off the top half of the driver housing and replace it with the wood. The bottom half (where the driver sits) stays the same.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Shaka Laka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious to know more about the hd414 pads as I've seen some are yellow. How do they sound. I have bowls and flats.

I'll be doing a 3-way pad review very soon, but for now I can say that the HD414 sound is dependant on whether you reverse them or not. If you reverse, they sound quite similar to bowls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very cool mod dude!
biggrin.gif

One of these days I would love to get my sr225 woodied...

Go for it! It's more than worth the effort if you have no problem doing it yourself.

Otherwise, if you can wait a few months I will be more than willing to help
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlysleeping /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two pieces of wood. You would take off the top half of the driver housing and replace it with the wood. The bottom half (where the driver sits) stays the same.

I used a lathe, but only to smooth out the cups with sandpaper after they had been cut using a drill press/scroll saw/band saw combination.

Kyle is correct - it is two pieces, the chamber portion and the lip. The mesh sits in between the 2 pieces; all three were glued together. The bottom half of the stock cup that contains the driver remained the same, mostly because I was too afraid of handling the driver with the risk of damaging it. Maybe a future project for myself?

~~~

Thanks for the complements, as always
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 23
Oh, those look like classics. Great job! Dye also looks great. I think if you want them more lighter brown they will look "dirty" or bland.

btw, me too liked taped bowls (when they were brand new) with 225's. Improved bass but otherwise didn't degrade SQ. Taping also didn't squeeze them so much, so the drivers didn't touch my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back