My friend wants to sell me HD650 Sennheisers for 150 dollars... I feel bad, should I do this?
May 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Wyllowdaemon

New Head-Fier
From what I have researched this is a very good deal.  I have tested them and they work perfectly and only need new foam inserts in the actual headphone pads.  I kinda feel like I am stealing, should I do this?  The only reason he is selling them is that he really needs cash at the moment.  The logical part of me says "this is a steal do this!'  and the emotional side feels bad and guilty, would you buy them?  If I do I am *not* planning on selling them for a profit, I would keep them and use them.  Here are some pictures so you guys can let me know if these are in decent shape.  The sound is ok as far as I can see and the cord is intact.  The one dark picture is my attempt to show a tear in the inner foam insert.  I am looking for a way just to replace that part because all new pads they want 60 dollars for.  I am on a limited budget, I work as a CNA at a hospital, and I NEVER could afford these on my budget normally.  I really appreciate any input you could give.  Right now I have a pair of Shure SE215 IEM's a pair of Sennheiser HD500 fusion headphones from years ago and a pair of travel AKG 518LE travel headphones.  This would be a significant upgrade for me.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/susiehelton/IMG_00591.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/susiehelton/IMG_00581.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/susiehelton/IMG_00601.jpg

May 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 17
I don't think buying them at that price would be wrong, since he REALLY needs that cash badly for whatever reason. Whatever he needs the cash for, he must want it badly if he's willing to sacrifice that headphone. You could always do a favour for him on top or something if you feel that bad about it. 

May 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 17
Not sure if serious?......anyway.....

Why would you feel bad if your friend is offering to sell his/her HD650's for $150? Sure it's a damn good steal of a price, but consider being in his place, he/her must need the money badly due to financial or personal issues. There is no reason why you should feel bad about it, nor is there anything morally wrong with it. If your friend changes his/her mind in the future and want's to buy the headphones back from you, then it's no harm done.

May 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 17
If he's your friend, get them off him for $200 since they usually go for at least $250 used in that condition. 

May 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 17
Good suggestions.  I think I will offer him 200.  I'll feel better if I do that.  Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get the foam inserts other than buying a whole new set of pads?

May 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 17
Could buy some Beyer ones and cut them to the appropriate size. they are like $3 iirc (just the foam bits)

May 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Hello!

If you are his friend, I agree with them, $200. If you know he is really in need for cash for GOOD or necessary things, and you think he need more than $200, if I am you, I will buy it for $210-$230 if you can afford to.

Billson :)

May 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 17
If you are a true friend and he is having a financial difficulty, offer him more like the people above have said.  You don't want to take advantage of him, because one day you may find yourself in a similar situation and you'd appreciate a friend being kind to you too.  I think you need to have a dialogue with him something along the lines of hey I want to buy your headphones from you, and I know you need the money, but we both know they're worth more than that.  Come up with an agreed and fair price.  It's a matter of opinion, but in my mind this is the right thing to do.

May 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 17
If you feel bad about it, I'll be happy to take the deal 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 17
just give him your credit card. what are friends for. 
how old are u by the way...u need to clear this with your folks?
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 17
No I do not need permission from my folks, I'm nearly 40, I was just concerned with not being a ****** regarding the situation. I'm not an audiophile expert (not that I wouldn't love to be mind you) and I know "fair market value" is a fuzzy area regarding electronics. I just wanted to do the right thing by the guy. We've worked out an arrangement and I feel better about the situation.

May 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 17
Just tell him he can buy them back, when he can.

Then they are just a loaner pair....

Or, help him sell them on here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back