My first tube headphone amp
Nov 22, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
My Woo 3 shipped with JAN/Philips 6922's and a GE 6AS7GA. Have heard that a pair of NOS 6DJ8's in place of 6922's would sound much better. Can you point me to a source for the Amperex NOS tubes you mention for $50 a pair? Thanks.

A very nice modern tube is the Electro Harmonix (get the Gold series with gold pins, if available):

http://www.thetubestore.com/6dj86922types.html

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Have you seen the frequency response charts comparing the HD650 and SA5000 provided by Akwok on various threads? Good smooth midrange on both with no midrange emphasis.

Oh god, don't get me started on those frequency response graphs.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

The SA5000 sounds bright and lean with certain sources and SS amp combos.

Exactly my point.
wink.gif
Quote:

I don't judge a component by listening to it at a meet. I want to listen to something different for hours, in separate listening sessions, over time, preferably in my home.

While I think that owning or extended audition of a component is preferred, I don't agree that meet impressions are useless.

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
unless Mr Woo now ships something better than those dreadful Sovteks, make tube rolling a high priority.

Not all Sovteks are bad. This is from the link I posted above:

Sovtek 6H30PI
This unusual 6922 variant (sometimes called the 6N30 or 6N30P) is used in the BAT VK-50SE pre-amp by Balanced Audio Technologies... more
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.

SO-6H30$19.95 Matched & Balanced Triodes

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
unless Mr Woo now ships something better than those dreadful Sovteks, make tube rolling a high priority. Invest $40-50 in a pair of decent 6922/ECC88 signal tubes (some NOS Amperex and Mullards from the 60s can be found for that money) and you will be amazed by how sweet the Woo can sound. Then replace the power tube as recommended in the Woo3 Modified thread and you will get a tight and powerful bass too!

The only amp I heard which sounded instantly and unquestionably better than my tube-rolled Woo 3 is the wonderful balanced amp (I think it was a prototype based on the Supra) that Singlepower's Michail brought to the San Jose meet. And that is going to cost much more than a Woo 3...

Here here... tube rolling the Woo greatly increases it's sound quality. My favorite output tube is the Tung Sol 5998 (about $18), and for cheaper input tubes you can try some late 60's early '70's Sylvania 6dj8's, or some grey glass GE 6922's, or some Siemans 6922's, or some used Amperex's 6922's.

Nov 26, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #35 of 35
Found NOS GE 6DJ8 and 5998 for $46 shipped. Still looking for the Siemens and Tung-Sols, can anybody point me to a good source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back