My first tube headphone amp
Nov 21, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
You can make the SA5ks sound fantastically NOT at all like that, an example is if you pair them with the M3 and the ad843 or opa637 opamps.

You can do the same thing to a degree with the tube amps by changing tubes. But I havent heard the SA5000 on anything ..... tubes or solid state ..... where I find them to sound radically different. I also have never personally heard the SA5000 sound rich and warm.
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 35
Originally Posted by Jazper: easy.. put the 8610s in it and couple it with the sa5000s and tell me then that it sounds warm, smooth and tubey

only words I'd apply with that combination would be cold, analytical, technical, extended highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
My tube amps sound like the second description with the addition of the SA5000!!
icon10.gif

Art: No wonder. The sony SA5000 is a very accurate headphone (faithful to, and totally revealing of, the signal it receives) that will easily reveal problems in your amp that other headphones will mask over (and sound better in being less acurate and revealing). lol

Most people dislike the Sony SA5000 because it reveals problem components in their system.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 35
[size=x-small]Coming Soon! My new SS amp![/size]

A high end batery powered pre-amp with a headphone output. It is a battery power buffer derived step-up transformer pre-amp. This latest second edition has 2 improvements: one is a cross-complementary transistor buffer driver instead of the old push-pull MOS buffer driver, the other is the single power design with 2 separate batteries inside. You play it with 1 9.6V battery while the other battery charges, on AC. A VU meter lets you know when to switch on the other battery and recharge the drained one.

input impedence 100kohm
gain 12db
bandwidth 3hz~150khz
thd(1khz) <=0.05%
s/n >=105db
power +/-9.6V 600mAH Ni-MH battery set*2
Useage time ~25Hr*2
battery life ~300 times recharge
recharger ~24V 100~300mA

Works best with headphones having 100 ohms or higher impedance though. I will use it mainly with my Etymotic 4S in my car.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 35
Ummm... colouration is not a bad thing and I'm not sure why everyone always takes it that way. It is inevitable that a component will impart its qualities and deficiencies on the final sound... and part of the confusion that comes from places like this is that different people are looking for different things. There is no 'magic mixture' that works for everyone and speaking in generalities tends to piss people off because of this.

A few things that I've noticed:

Solid state amps that use a discrete topology [gilmores designs, etc] tend to have great speed and extension. As you move towards more advanced amps of this type you can expect noticable gains in soundstaging and imaging.

Tube amps tend to have a natural or euphonic sound that is pleasant and enveloping. As you move towards more advanced amps of this type you start to loose some of the negative aspects of this [lack of clarity, poor imaging] and approach what solid state can do in this regard.

MOSFET's seem to take a bit from each... they tend to have good speed and attack, but are quite warm and could use a bit more refinement. I haven't heard a high end MOSFET amp as of yet... not even sure if there is one right now.

Hybrids are another story entirely. It's not like you can just say that a tube/mosfet amp combines all of their qualities together. The input stage and output stage perform completely different functions and can be designed in a variety of ways.

I'd also like to add that generalizing tube based amps as one type sonically is sort of like calling OPAMP based amps one type sonically. What tube are you using? What opamp? What circuit? The same goes for solid state... the dynalo and dynahi are superficially the same type of amp, but on a completely different scale.

Headphones are even worse. I've heard some pairs that are generally regarded as being 'neutral' on here and am quite confused. If a bland and sterile presentation, with a sucked out midrange and fatiguing highs is neutral, I want nothing of it! Then again, perhaps the person that is making these comments has a nice euphonic amp that is filling those headphones in right where they need it and hears a completely different thing.

Wow, that was kind of long winded... sorry if I got carried away.
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Ummm... colouration is not a bad thing and I'm not sure why everyone always takes it that way. It is inevitable that a component will impart its qualities and deficiencies on the final sound... and part of the confusion that comes from places like this is that different people are looking for different things. There is no 'magic mixture' that works for everyone and speaking in generalities tends to piss people off because of this.

Solid state amps that use a discrete topology [gilmores designs, etc] tend to have great speed and extension. As you move towards more advanced amps of this type you can expect noticable gains in soundstaging and imaging.

Tube amps tend to have a natural or euphonic sound that is pleasant and enveloping. As you move towards more advanced amps of this type you start to loose some of the negative aspects of this [lack of clarity, poor imaging] and approach what solid state can do in this regard.

MOSFET's seem to take a bit from each... they tend to have good speed and attack, but are quite warm and could use a bit more refinement. I haven't heard a high end MOSFET amp as of yet... not even sure if there is one right now.

Hybrids are another story entirely. It's not like you can just say that a tube/mosfet amp combines all of their qualities together. The input stage and output stage perform completely different functions and can be designed in a variety of ways.

I'd also like to add that generalizing tube based amps as one type sonically is sort of like calling OPAMP based amps one type sonically. What tube are you using? What opamp? What circuit? The same goes for solid state... the dynalo and dynahi are superficially the same type of amp, but on a completely different scale.

Headphones are even worse. I've heard some pairs that are generally regarded as being 'neutral' on here and am quite confused. If a bland and sterile presentation, with a sucked out midrange and fatiguing highs is neutral, I want nothing of it! Then again, perhaps the person that is making these comments has a nice euphonic amp that is filling those headphones in right where they need it and hears a completely different thing.

tongue.gif

Great post .... couldnt agree more!
cool.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

tongue.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself! In addition though, I find that many underestimate the importance of a great source. People usually claims that "My amp does this", "My headphones do that"; very true, yet I see no emphasis on the source at hand. For the most part headphones and amps have a fairly significant impact on sound but it's important to pair them with a good source in order for your amp and headphones to shine to the best of their ablility. Garbage in, garbage out, regardless of cans/amps. With the variety of sources, amps, and headphones out there it just goes to show how complex this hobby can get; thus, making it important to match your system based on your preferences, rather than throwing a bunch of expensive equipment together, or generalizing amps based on design (tube vs ss)!

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 35
Art: No wonder. The sony SA5000 is a very accurate headphone (faithful to, and totally revealing of, the signal it receives) that will easily reveal problems in your amp that other headphones will mask over (and sound better in being less acurate and revealing). lol

Most people dislike the Sony SA5000 because it reveals problem components in their system.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the sony sa5000 on several setups now .... tube and solid state .... and I find the problem is the headphone not the amps. The sony is not accurate IMO and has a balance that is nowhere close to natural sounding ..... using live music as a referance. The headphone is to tilted towards the treble and just sounds to thin and to zippy to me.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
or any other tube amp for that matter. I came up in the age of the transistor. Due to increasing peer preasure and feelings of being totally (tube) inadequate, I bought a Woo Audio 3 headphone amp. Got it yesterday and have put a few hours on it with my Senn 650's. All I can say is WOW! I can hear what I have been missing. Now we are getting somewhere. Why does it sound so much better than a SS amp? I recently spent an afternoon with a $2000 custom made tube headphone amp and was blown away. The little, relatively inexpensive Woo hangs right in there with it, 90+% anyway. Fit and finish are excellent. Right out of the box, the sound is excellent. Some burn in hours will undoubtly make it sound even better. I could not be happier. I am already plotting a tube roll order. This hobby is really a sickness.

unless Mr Woo now ships something better than those dreadful Sovteks, make tube rolling a high priority. Invest $40-50 in a pair of decent 6922/ECC88 signal tubes (some NOS Amperex and Mullards from the 60s can be found for that money) and you will be amazed by how sweet the Woo can sound. Then replace the power tube as recommended in the Woo3 Modified thread and you will get a tight and powerful bass too!

The only amp I heard which sounded instantly and unquestionably better than my tube-rolled Woo 3 is the wonderful balanced amp (I think it was a prototype based on the Supra) that Singlepower's Michail brought to the San Jose meet. And that is going to cost much more than a Woo 3...

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
Couldn't have said it better myself! In addition though, I find that many underestimate the importance of a great source. People usually claims that "My amp does this", "My headphones do that"; very true, yet I see no emphasis on the source at hand. For the most part headphones and amps have a fairly significant impact on sound but it's important to pair them with a good source in order for your amp and headphones to shine to the best of their ablility. Garbage in, garbage out, regardless of cans/amps. With the variety of sources, amps, and headphones out there it just goes to show how complex this hobby can get; thus, making it important to match your system based on your preferences, rather than throwing a bunch of expensive equipment together, or generalizing amps based on design (tube vs ss)!

Another great post. Exactly ..... you are hearing your system. This isnt about just the headphone or amp your source is vitally important too. That said .... there are some components .... usually headphones .... that have enough of a character that sometimes whatever system you put them in you just cant enjoy or accept them. I dont like the sony headphones and I thought I didnt like the senn 650. So far, no matter what I try with the sony's, their treble balance continues to sound to hot. The 650 opinion I have to recant. I dont like them single ended but this headphone sounds amazingly good balanced. I heard the 650 with a balanced SFT Dynamight and a balanced Singlepower Supra on two consecutive weekends ..... amazing improvement.
600smile.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Great post .... couldnt agree more!
cool.gif

Me too!

Nov 22, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #26 of 35
Philodox:... colouration is not a bad thing and I'm not sure why everyone always takes it that way. It is inevitable that a component will impart its qualities and deficiencies on the final sound... and part of the confusion that comes from places like this is that different people are looking for different things. There is no 'magic mixture' that works for everyone and speaking in generalities tends to piss people off because of this.

Art: Coloration is deviation from the signal. If there were no coloration anywhere in reproduction of sound, there would be no deviation from the original sound - the recording would sound live in all aspects. I think a lack of coloration is a worthy goal and should be prized, but since this is impossible, we look for what the coloration is from, and how much, and how enjoyable it remains

Philodox: Hybrids are another story entirely. It's not like you can just say that a tube/mosfet amp combines all of their qualities together. The input stage and output stage perform completely different functions and can be designed in a variety of ways.

Art: True, hybrids differ. Not all tube preamps and SS amps sound good together. My experience has been, with good hybrid combinations, that they do combine the advantages of SS with the musical enhancement (euphonic coloration) of tubes, in a very natural, realistic, and pleasing way. The coloration is minimized, and what remains is pleasant - the most we can ask for.

Philodox: Headphones are even worse. I've heard some pairs that are generally regarded as being 'neutral' on here and am quite confused. If a bland and sterile presentation, with a sucked out midrange and fatiguing highs is neutral, I want nothing of it! Then again, perhaps the person that is making these comments has a nice euphonic amp that is filling those headphones in right where they need it and hears a completely different thing.

Art: The most neutral headphone is one that sounds very different with different CDs, amps, tubes with tubed amps, and sources. A less neutral headphone will mask these differences by imposing its own coloration on the signal - you can still hear the above differences but not as evidently, since these differences are reduced to the common denominator of the headphone coloration. In my recent experience with headphones owned, the SA5000 is more neutral than either the Grado HP-2, HD650 or the AKG340. It may sound sterile to someone who has grown accustomed to coloration from the headphones they now use - they are missing the warmth or euphonic musicality that their own headphones add to the signal. The Grado, to Grado owners, will sound less sterile than the SA5000 because of this. Someone who is used to a headphone with presence (midrange emphasis) will perceive the SA5000 is having a sucked out midrange (when it actually has a very flat midrange frequency response, with no coloration emphasis).

Keep in mind, your peceptions are based in recent auditory memory. You judge a new component by what you have now, and your evaluation is very biased in favor of what you have since this is the locus of the auditory memory basis of evaluation. Now with big differences with the new component, it will be easy to recognize these differences as better or worse than what you have. With more subtle differences, that only become big differences with time, you will perceive the new component as inferior to what you have even though it is in fact superior (as you would recognize if you spent a week or more listening to it).

This is why meet listening often yields erroneous conclusions that would be reversed by extended home listening.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Jazper - thanks for the tip. I will try that sometime (I will have to reduce my PSU voltage though, lol
frown.gif
)

Try the AD8065s and AD843s. I think they're the best opamps for the sa5ks.

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Coloration is deviation from the signal. If there were no coloration anywhere in reproduction of sound, there would be no deviation from the original sound - the recording would sound live in all aspects. I think a lack of coloration is a worthy goal and should be prized, but since this is impossible, we look for what the coloration is from, and how much, and how enjoyable it remains

I stand by that every piece of gear offers its own colourations and that they are, in themselves, not a bad thing. My approach is to look for synergy between components... and aside from a different way of saying this, I think this is the same thing you are looking for as well. Quote:

The most neutral headphone is one that sounds very different with different CDs, amps, tubes with tubed amps, and sources. A less neutral headphone will mask these differences by imposing its own coloration on the signal - you can still hear the above differences but not as evidently, since these differences are reduced to the common denominator of the headphone coloration. In my recent experience with headphones owned, the SA5000 is more neutral than either the Grado HP-2, HD650 or the AKG340. It may sound sterile to someone who has grown accustomed to coloration from the headphones they now use - they are missing the warmth or euphonic musicality that their own headphones add to the signal. The Grado, to Grado owners, will sound less sterile than the SA5000 because of this.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I do not find the SA5000 to be a neutral headphone. The HP-2 is quite neutral, probably the most neutral headphone out there. As for the K340, it is hard to comment, as every pair I have heard sounds different. My personal pair is quite neutral, with the slight emphasis on the midrange that AKG is known for. I would agree that the HD650 is not a neutral headphone, much to dark to be considered as such in my experience.

I say again though, who cares if it is neutral? If you like the way it sounds that should be enough. I love the way my K340's sound and you obviously feel the same way about the SA5000. Others feel similarily about the HD650.

None of us are right and none of us are wrong... that is what bothers me about statements such as this: "when it actually has a very flat midrange frequency response, with no coloration emphasis"

So, we all have poor hearing now because we don't agree with you? I'm sorry, maybe our definitions of colouration are different, but the SA5000 is quite bright and lacking in the mids to my ears. This is not just in comparison to AKG headphones. Piano and guitar do not sound how they should sound. I have heard Tori Amos live multiple times and she did not sound realistic on the SA5000.

Now, I think that in your system and to your ears they sound quite different. There is nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't take my impressions of your headphones as some sort of personal insult and you also shouldn't feel the need to convince me of their superiority. It is not going to happen for one, and it really makes no difference in the greater scheme of things. We both have systems that we are pleased with and that is all that counts. Quote:

Keep in mind, your peceptions are based in recent auditory memory. You judge a new component by what you have now, and your evaluation is very biased in favor of what you have since this is the locus of the auditory memory basis of evaluation.

I think you should also keep this in mind Art.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
unless Mr Woo now ships something better than those dreadful Sovteks, make tube rolling a high priority. Invest $40-50 in a pair of decent 6922/ECC88 signal tubes (some NOS Amperex and Mullards from the 60s can be found for that money) and you will be amazed by how sweet the Woo can sound. Then replace the power tube as recommended in the Woo3 Modified thread and you will get a tight and powerful bass too!

The only amp I heard which sounded instantly and unquestionably better than my tube-rolled Woo 3 is the wonderful balanced amp (I think it was a prototype based on the Supra) that Singlepower's Michail brought to the San Jose meet. And that is going to cost much more than a Woo 3...

My Woo 3 shipped with JAN/Philips 6922's and a GE 6AS7GA. Have heard that a pair of NOS 6DJ8's in place of 6922's would sound much better. Can you point me to a source for the Amperex NOS tubes you mention for $50 a pair? Thanks.

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #30 of 35
Art: Coloration is deviation from the signal. If there were no coloration anywhere in reproduction of sound, there would be no deviation from the original sound - the recording would sound live in all aspects. I think a lack of coloration is a worthy goal and should be prized, but since this is impossible, we look for what the coloration is from, and how much, and how enjoyable it remains

Philodox: I stand by that every piece of gear offers its own colourations and that they are, in themselves, not a bad thing.

Art: Some colorations are a bad thing some aren't. No coloration would be a great thing - live sound from a good listening seat - but, of course, impossible. Even live sound has bad coloration from phase distortion from room reflections if your listening position is bad. Some such reflections give ambience (good coloration) while other phase distortions muddy the tone and sound terrible. An instrument in an open field has no such phase distortion, except from some slight sound reflected of off the grass, but is teribly lean and sterile as a result of lack of ambience.

Philodox: My approach is to look for synergy between components... and aside from a different way of saying this, I think this is the same thing you are looking for as well.

Art: Absolutely! Improve what you can by replacing problem links in the signal path, and what can't be resolved thereby then improve by matching links (components, cables, tubes, etc.) together to counteract problems or mask problems.

Art: The most neutral headphone is one that sounds very different with different CDs, amps, tubes with tubed amps, and sources. A less neutral headphone will mask these differences by imposing its own coloration on the signal - you can still hear the above differences but not as evidently, since these differences are reduced to the common denominator of the headphone coloration. In my recent experience with headphones owned, the SA5000 is more neutral than either the Grado HP-2, HD650 or the AKG340. It may sound sterile to someone who has grown accustomed to coloration from the headphones they now use - they are missing the warmth or euphonic musicality that their own headphones add to the signal. The Grado, to Grado owners, will sound less sterile than the SA5000 because of this.

Philodox: We are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I do not find the SA5000 to be a neutral headphone. The HP-2 is quite neutral, probably the most neutral headphone out there. As for the K340, it is hard to comment, as every pair I have heard sounds different. My personal pair is quite neutral, with the slight emphasis on the midrange that AKG is known for. I would agree that the HD650 is not a neutral headphone, much to dark to be considered as such in my experience.

Art: My HP-2 was quite enjoyable - colored the sound some, but in a very nice way. I find the SA5000 more revealing and less colored - enjoyable in a different way. I prefer the SA5000.

Philodox: I say again though, who cares if it is neutral? If you like the way it sounds that should be enough. I love the way my K340's sound and you obviously feel the same way about the SA5000. Others feel similarily about the HD650.

Art: Yes. Different tastes and different synergies.

Philodox: None of us are right and none of us are wrong... that is what bothers me about statements such as this: "when it actually has a very flat midrange frequency response, with no coloration emphasis"

Art: Have you seen the frequency response charts comparing the HD650 and SA5000 provided by Akwok on various threads? Good smooth midrange on both with no midrange emphasis.

Philodox: So, we all have poor hearing now because we don't agree with you? I'm sorry, maybe our definitions of colouration are different, but the SA5000 is quite bright and is lacking in the mids to my ears. This is not just in comparison to AKG headphones. I hear a noticable lack of mids with the SA5000... piano and guitar do not sound how they should sound. I have heard Tori Amos live multiple times and she did not sound realistic on the SA5000.

Art: The SA5000 sounds bright and lean with certain sources and SS amp combos. I have experienced this first hand. It has some spiking at 10K (in contrast to a serious dip at 10K for the HD650 - according to Akwok's charts) For older people like myself, whose hearing above 10KHz has diminished with age (and this starts in one's 20s), then this is less of a problem. Now, with my E5 and Bada PH12, the SA5000 has a sparkling and silky treble, full of sheen, with great midrange body and timbral richness. Now my son, with younfger ears, who has the same headphone system as mine, does not have any problems with brightness.

Keep in mind, your peceptions are based in recent auditory memory. You judge a new component by what you have now, and your evaluation is very biased in favor of what you have since this is the locus of the auditory memory basis of evaluation.

Philodox: I think you should also keep this in mind Art.

Art: I don't judge a component by listening to it at a meet. I want to listen to something different for hours, in separate listening sessions, over time, preferably in my home. When I make a tube change, my first impressions are based on the listening memory of the previous tubes, and biased thereby. I listen for days, and develop a new memory base for the new tubes, often finding that my first impressions had changed because I had developed a separate memory base for each set of tubes from which to draw valid conclusions. I think many people listen to the SA5000 and initially don't like them because they don't sound the same as their old headphones. They seize on the differences in sound as evidence for disliking the SA5000 - they are accustomed to the coloration of their old headphones and like it as the familar sound they have enjoyed. Now, this does not work the same in trying out a new woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back