My first semi-decent amp: iBasso D10 vs. Headstage Arrow 12HE
May 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gunslinger Rob

New Head-Fier
Alright well its time to buy my first semi-decent amp. I really only have a beginners knowledge to as whats good and whats not when it comes to amps but I am learning as much as I can as I go along here.

My 2 choices that I have picked out are the iBasso D10:

http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=39

and the Headstage Arrow 12HE:

http://www.headphonia.com/The-Arrow-Amp/Headstage-Arrow-12HE-High-Efficiency::10107.html

My reasons for considering the D10 are that I have first off always heard good things about ibasso products especially their higher priced products. That and it is a DAC so I could use something other than the on-board sound card  on my laptop. The one aspect that worries me is that it seems that it lacks control for the user to adjust certain things like bass or a crossfeed. Which leads me into my reasons for wanting the Arrow. It has every control that the D10 doesn't. I would love to be able to control the bass or switch on the crossfeed. What worries me about the arrow is that it isnt a DAC so Im worried that it wont have a genuine sound of its own and therefore just sound subpar. Any ideas for me guys?

May 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 7
well, first off what will be your main setup? will you be listening mostly through your laptop or DAP? in the end, you may have to compromise depending on your listening preference. 
if it's mainly through computer then the D10 is a more convincing choice, as you do want a DAC in the chain. also, do you have optical out on your laptop (mac?)? if not, you can maybe go for cheaper alternatives for DAC/AMP such as the D4 (which a lot of people commented that it betters the D10). 

if you will listen mostly on a DAP, then the Arrow would be more useful as you have options to customize to your liking.  Although the d10 is also good as an amp, you really want to instal the topkit to make the sound better, which will cost extra. so you need to factor in those costs as well.

another alternative might be to go for arrow now and look for a DAC later on. even if you listen through your DAP mostly, its nice to hear your amps potential by adding a DAC to the chain. something cheap as nuforce UDac might be an option. that way with the arrow you have the nice size portability with your DAP/AMP combo and can add the DAC when you listen through your computer. 

just some options..

May 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 7
I have both. I prefer the Arrow for its flexibility, features and size. The D10 can't match the Arrow's bass even with all the mods I put in my D10 (Blackgate caps and topkit). Headphonia also makes a USB cable DAC. I use it to listen from my laptop. The price of the Arrow together with the USB DAC cable is less than $300 (shipping is free).

May 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
well, first off what will be your main setup? will you be listening mostly through your laptop or DAP? in the end, you may have to compromise depending on your listening preference. 
if it's mainly through computer then the D10 is a more convincing choice, as you do want a DAC in the chain. also, do you have optical out on your laptop (mac?)? if not, you can maybe go for cheaper alternatives for DAC/AMP such as the D4 (which a lot of people commented that it betters the D10). 

if you will listen mostly on a DAP, then the Arrow would be more useful as you have options to customize to your liking.  Although the d10 is also good as an amp, you really want to instal the topkit to make the sound better, which will cost extra. so you need to factor in those costs as well.

another alternative might be to go for arrow now and look for a DAC later on. even if you listen through your DAP mostly, its nice to hear your amps potential by adding a DAC to the chain. something cheap as nuforce UDac might be an option. that way with the arrow you have the nice size portability with your DAP/AMP combo and can add the DAC when you listen through your computer. 

just some options..

I will mainly be listening through my laptop for most of the time and occasionally through my desktop which has an audigy 2. Yea I have been hearing quite a few good things about the D4 but I was more into customizing the D10 with the topkit.

Quote:
I have both. I prefer the Arrow for its flexibility, features and size. The D10 can't match the Arrow's bass even with all the mods I put in my D10 (Blackgate caps and topkit). Headphonia also makes a USB cable DAC. I use it to listen from my laptop. The price of the Arrow together with the USB DAC cable is less than $300 (shipping is free).

Well I think that helped me make my decision. Flexibility is definitely a must and it sounds like the arrow trumps the D10 in that respect. Probably at the end of the year though I will look into getting a DAC from iBasso. Thanks guys definitely a huge help as always.

May 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Don't forget the Headphonia USB DAC stick at $150. If pre-ordered today togther with an Arrow HE (+$100) it is not much more expensive than the USB DAC cable ($70). If you are based in EU, the stick's package price (+€50) is same as the cable's.

You get an additional, completely self-contained, tiny amp/dac combo for your laptop with no cableing required at all. Innards are same as Arrow, minus battery, plus dac. Likewise the Arrow, piggybacked to an iPod it is flat enough to slide in your jacket's pocket. It is not really convenient to walk the streets, but acceptable for travelling by train, bus, plane etc..

I don't know which offers more flexibility: Arrow's/sticks impedance/cross/bass switches or D10's opamp rolling. The D10 in addition has optical and coax connectivity which could make sense with a Mac, a cheap DVD or an old, portable CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back