My first post!
Mar 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

musiclover666

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I wanted to start off my first post by saying I think HF a great resource for us in search of headphone nirvana through our collective sharing of information and opinions.

I initially started my love of audio with various 2 channel systems. My path continued down the slippery slope of headphones a few years back with a set of Koss Porta Pro's then AKG K-55's and finally Senn PX100's. I now have the headphone bug firmly implanted in both ears.

Recently with the purchase of my second ipod Classic, I decided it was time to purchase some new phones, and this is where it starts to get slippery. I first wanted IEMs for my commute every day. I picked up a set of B & W C5s. At first I was intrigued by the "loop" that holds the ear piece in your ear. The sound wasn't too bad for the money either. But alas I grew tired of the design and the sound. So back they went to the store for a refund. My next purchase was a set of Jay's Djays, I still have those IEMs and couldn't be happier.

Onto my quest for full size headphones for home listening. I started out with Shure SRH-840s which were not bad. Inevitably they ended up going back as something just didn't gel for me. Up next were the SRH-440s as i had read that they might be a better performer than their bigger brother in some ways. I liked them even less than the 840's. Up next was the AT ATH M-50s. These were by far the most "fun" sounding headphone so far, BUT the bass bloat was too much for me. Next up was the DT990Pro 250, these were by far my favorite, nice high end, tight low end, decent mids. Unfortunately my wife didn't like the open back factor and since we share our computer space/listening area I reluctantly returned them. So my logic at the time said I should just get the DT770 Pro closed back and all would be solved, compromise reached? Nope! The DT770's were by far the worst so far out of all the phones I had tried. Very etched in the high end and not much bass to speak of. Oh well onward and upward, or so I thought. So this brings me to today's purchase. Upon much reading and humming and hawing I pulled the trigger on a pair of KRK KNS-8400*. With much excitement I hurried home to hook them up and see what the fuss was about. Well I was very disappointed to say the least. These are the most lifeless, boring phones I have yet to encounter.

I am sorry I am not much for superlatives when describing my headphones. I know what I like in sound and sometimes it can be hard for me to describe in detail a particular element of the sound.

I guess at this point I should give you the particulars of my associated equipment and musical tastes. They are as follows:

ipod Classic 160g (WAV files), Fiio E11 headphone amp, ART headamp 4.
Musical tastes: Classic rock, metal, jazz. 
I always test new equipment with well mastered/recorded albums and selected tracks from the following albums: Dark Side of The Moon, The Wall, Master of Puppets, Above (Mad Season), The Downward Spiral, Kind of Blue, Time Out, etc.

My quest continues for a decent set of full size headphones. I have yet to try the AKG K 240 mkIIs which they carry at the store I have been buying/trying the above mentioned phones. I may give them a try or I may just give the SRH
840's another go.

*When I was returning the DT770's for the KRK's I noticed a little section of headphones by the name of Apex. I had a little difference in money left from the other phones so I thought I would grab them for my wife for her gaming. Turns out these little HP35's are quite musical and sound pretty decent for 30 bux. Who would have thought eh? Anyway I am keeping them and listening to them as I write. The KRK's are going back tomorrow and I will hopefully come home with either the AKG's or the Shures. Who knows?

Thanks for taking the time to read my rather longwinded first post. I look forward to many more posts and much more reading.
Dan

p.s. any further suggestions for headphones to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 16
You don't mention how much you want to spend. A range would narrow  the recommendations down a bit. Then buy what MalVeauX recommends and you'll be fine.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 16
Firstly, welcome...
I'm a relative newcomer to the forum too and have found the people here to be very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

To that end, you'll want to plan on a good Dac and Amp. Whatever headphones you buy will be greatly influenced by the signal being sent into them. From source to ear requires a good deal of thought, research and some trial and error.

Set a budget, do your research and with the help of the good people on here, you'll have a kick ass setup...

My setup (extremely happy with it) is...

PC (FLac MediaMonkey-Wasapi)/Marantz DVD > Musical Fidelity Vdacii > Schiit Lyr (Siemens CCA tubes) > Senn HD650/HE500.

Total cost..including both sets of cans $1600 (I got the Dac at dealer cost, the DVD for free, the Cans at a good discount)

Good luck on your quest.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 16
My current budget is $200 - $250 Cad. I picked up a pair of AKG K 271 mkII's today and so far I like what I hear. They seem to be fairly balanced with nothing really standing out or glaring. All in all these are the best set of phones I have tried so far. They really reveal badly mastered albums and make well mastered ones shine. I know this won't be my last set of cans, but for right now I am fairly happy. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now I am off to look at better dac/amps, a whole 'nother can of worms. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Where in Canada are you? It would be nice to find a place within a decent distance where you could try out some demo pairs and a decent variety. ( like if you are in Vancouver ) or do you have a store you prefer as it seems you're getting it off the shelf rather than shopping online.

There's a Canadian retailers thread in here somewhere that may help. Maybe ... http://www.head-fi.org/t/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

So basically it has to be closed back. And something comparable to the DT990 250 ohm soundwise.

oh welcome to Head-fi ( at least signing up )

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Heya,

You've gone through the M50's, DT770's and DT990's. You need a closed back headphone that is both fun, but has audiophile presentation with a tight low end that isn't bloated, and it should run on basically minimal amplification and be fantastic for everything, but specifically for jazz, metal and rock. So you need good mids, but not too much edge on the detail, with plenty of low end but not enough to bleed out the mids. I think we can do that.

Denon D2000
AKG K550
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900X

I would initially go Denon here. If that doesn't suit you, go K550. The above will work on your existing hardware.

Very best,

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Heya,

You've gone through the M50's, DT770's and DT990's. You need a closed back headphone that is both fun, but has audiophile presentation with a tight low end that isn't bloated, and it should run on basically minimal amplification and be fantastic for everything, but specifically for jazz, metal and rock. So you need good mids, but not too much edge on the detail, with plenty of low end but not enough to bleed out the mids. I think we can do that.

Denon D2000
AKG K550
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900X

I would initially go Denon here. If that doesn't suit you, go K550. The above will work on your existing hardware.

Very best,

Its useful to note that the Fischer Audio FA-003 is the same thing as the Brainwavz HM5.  So, if you happened to find one of those in your area magically... you could buy those too. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Where in Canada are you? It would be nice to find a place within a decent distance where you could try out some demo pairs and a decent variety. ( like if you are in Vancouver ) or do you have a store you prefer as it seems you're getting it off the shelf rather than shopping online.

There's a Canadian retailers thread in here somewhere that may help. Maybe ... http://www.head-fi.org/t/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

So basically it has to be closed back. And something comparable to the DT990 250 ohm soundwise.

oh welcome to Head-fi ( at least signing up )

I am in Edmonton. I have been "demoing" the cans so far by buying and returning them until I was happy (so far) with my AKG 271 mkIIs. The store I have been buying from has a decent selection of various brands and a 30 return policy. It also helps that I have bought a guitar or two over the years from them so they know me. Thanks for the links to the Canadian companies, it helps in eliminating outrageous duty and shipping from the US. I have bought and sold on Canuck Audio Mart many times. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Cheers,
Dan

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
My current budget is $200 - $250 Cad. I picked up a pair of AKG K 271 mkII's today and so far I like what I hear. They seem to be fairly balanced with nothing really standing out or glaring. All in all these are the best set of phones I have tried so far. They really reveal badly mastered albums and make well mastered ones shine. I know this won't be my last set of cans, but for right now I am fairly happy. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now I am off to look at better dac/amps, a whole 'nother can of worms. 
smily_headphones1.gif

You might find that the AKG Q 701 is your move-up can.  It alone would take all or almost all of your $200--$250 budget.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 16
I think (for now) I am happy with the 271mkIIs. They seem to have everything I am looking for in a headphone for the price. However, they seem to be very revealing of poor sources/amps. Not that my Fiio E11 or my ART Headamp are slouches for the price, I feel I need a better amp/dac to really make these cans shine. Can anyone recommend a decent amp/dac for $100 to $150? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back