My First Pimeta
Jan 20, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Heheh, it helps to have nice toys/tools for soldering.
wink.gif

I am not new to soldering, but new to electronics soldering. And most certainly Amp building.

-Ed

I love Metcal. We use MX500's at work and they rock. I'm glad that we have them at there so that I don't have to buy my own but it's alway good to have a nice soldering station whenever you need it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 73
ed, i plan on making something similar for my dynahi, i was gonna get an existing rack case, chop the case width down enough so that i can fit my heatsinks on the side and still fit in a 19" rack, then re assemble.

another option i was considering was getting a pair of long heat sinks, getting a top and bottom and back cut for them and either getting a shaeffer front panel done of making one out of wood.

shame i dont have space to put anything dynahi size anywhere but in a rack stand.

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #67 of 73
Well done. This looks like a very roomy case, just what I'm looking for to do a PIMETA with a VU meter.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm curious about a few of your parts. First, what case is this? Also, those battery holders are sweet...who makes 'em? Last, what is the story on "insulated DC jacks"?

Jan 24, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #68 of 73
Nice casework, Ed. I'm not so sure if policy allows you to post a pic with your drawers open, though.

Ikea batteries- who would have thought?
wink.gif
It's a real nice looking amp. How are you liking the sound so far?

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Nice casework, Ed. I'm not so sure if policy allows you to post a pic with your drawers open, though.

Ikea batteries- who would have thought?
wink.gif
It's a real nice looking amp. How are you liking the sound so far?

<rimshot>
biggrin.gif

LOL, Ikea batteries are dirt cheap.

Of course, I burned through so many AA batteries, that I bought a pile of NiMH ones.

Looks like I'll have to get some nice NiMH 9V as well.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
Well done. This looks like a very roomy case, just what I'm looking for to do a PIMETA with a VU meter.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm curious about a few of your parts. First, what case is this? Also, those battery holders are sweet...who makes 'em? Last, what is the story on "insulated DC jacks"?

Bulgin makes the battery holders. Ripped the idea from Ray Samuels and Mister X. Got them from Newark, but I think Mouser might carry them as well. Digikey does not, unfortunately.

Insulated jacks? You need them for either your input jack(s) or your power input jack. Otherwise you will collapse/short the virtual ground, and your amp will sound like poop.

-Ed

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Insulated jacks? You need them for either your input jack(s) or your power input jack. Otherwise you will collapse/short the virtual ground, and your amp will sound like poop.

-Ed

Erm, it won't sound like anything, Ed.
icon10.gif
It'll fry your rail splitters, then not work! Like mine did! (Three times. -.-' )

Jan 24, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #73 of 73
Is this an amp thread or a bad joke thread? lol

The only question left is how do you like the way it sounds?
Notice the difference in the soundstage between the Pimeta and the Mint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back