My First Pimeta
Jan 2, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 73
CAT5e twisted pair wires is teh uber cheapy hookup wire solution! Used them with my first pimeta, gonna use again for pimeta #2 (if I ever get opamps). T.T

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamslacker
Nice work.. I only wish I could afford a desoldering station. Hehe... Surviving on desoldering wick and pump now.. At least I managed to get a Weller Soldering Station for S$118 (US$72).
Actually, I figured I could buy a desoldering station from accumulated cost of buying desoldering wicks... LOL..

Are you using CAT5E twisted-pair wires? They look to be..

Belden Cat6 Solid Core actually.

I have solid silver wire, but I'm saving it for the second version of each of these amps I build.

-Ed

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #18 of 73
looks very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
be sure to post tin pics

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I'm just anal that way.

you even got all the values of the vishay resistors facing up as well
eek.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 73
Ed,

Nice work! I just sold an old set of phones that I had laying around so my MINT parts are getting ordered Monday! Probably going to ordre PIMETA parts within a couple of weeks. Just firguring out how crazy I want to get w/ that.

Where did you get the Belden Cat6 stuff from? I'd like to use some good quality hookup wire for both my MINT and PIMETA.

Nate

Jan 3, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 73
What's the brand on the resistors? Who supplied them?

I ended up ordering a bunch of 1% 1/4W panasonic resistors. There cute and they work fine, but they're the size of 1/8W resistors, and ended up sitting to one side or the other. Though it worked great for the R11 slot on my mint.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #24 of 73
It's actually a 3mm amber colored one.

It just looks huge in the pic.

I've been having alot of troubles with LED's lately. I think I've got some bad ones. This one is intermittent. I checked all the connections and everything is solid. But if I just turn on the amp and leave it be, the LED lights up fine. But sometimes it turns off for no reason. Didn't touch it or anything.

Oh, well. I have to stop buying el cheapo LED's.

I'll be using larger 5mm ones on my Pimeta and Dynahi's for sure.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Nice cut... what did you use?

An Xacto hand saw. I don't trust the level of friction a cut off wheel from a dremel tool produces.

Again, I will be cutting the board first in my next Mint. Too much of a hassle with the components in place.

-Ed

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
What's the brand on the resistors? Who supplied them?

I ended up ordering a bunch of 1% 1/4W panasonic resistors. There cute and they work fine, but they're the size of 1/8W resistors, and ended up sitting to one side or the other. Though it worked great for the R11 slot on my mint.

Vishay Dale 1/8watt RN55D 1%'s from Newark.

-Ed

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #27 of 73
Mint cased up.

Just your usual Hammond......

8266Edwood_Mint_03.jpg

8266Edwood_Mint_04.jpg

8266Edwood_Mint_05.jpg

8266Edwood_Mint_06.jpg

This is an external PSU only Mint.

I just wanted one in a tiny case.
tongue.gif

This Mint is going to end up as a Birthday gift for a friend anyways, and he never listens to headphones on the go.

-Ed

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 73
No such luck with my Pimeta now.

Well, finally got the Brown Dog Adapters to mount the AD8620 and 8610 on, but now my Pimeta does not work well at all.

When I plug headphones in, even with the volume all the way down, There is loud popping right as I plug them in, only when they are being plugged in. Like there is a short somewhere in the ground of something.

The sound is weak and distorted, and stronger on one side.

Have I accidentally shorted the virtual ground?

Fried the TLE rail splitter? OP Amps? Buffers?

I yanked all the chips and took readings and this is what I got. This is with the 24V Elpac PSU.

8266Edwood_Pimeta_05Voltages.jpg

I've marked the voltages that don't look right in Red.
*Note the 12.18V reading on the OPALR. Shouldn't it be twice that (24.30V)?

-Ed

Jan 7, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 73
Ed, Here are the voltage reading from a working pimeta:
pimeta-pinout.JPG

My n/a and -/ - symbols mean that no reading was available, my DVM drifted randomly between 3mv up to 30mv.

Here it the typed version in case my writting is difficult. I highlighted in red the readings to investigate. They appear to be shorted to ground? Though, I do have Q1 and Q2 installed, so they might account for the differences.
Right Buffer:
0v,0.0v......07.89v
8.7v,12.9mv
17.5v,n/a
17.5v,0.0v

Dual OpAmp:
7.8v,0v
8.7v,7.9v
12.9mv,8.6v
17.5v,12.9mv

Left Buffer:
n/a,0v
8.7v,12.9mv
17.5v,n/a
17.5,0v

Ground Buffer:
n/a,0v
n/a,n/a
17.5,n/a
17.5,0v

Ground OpAmp:
n/a,0v
n/a,8.7v
17.5v,n/a
n/a,n/a

If you like, post a detailed picture of the back so we can see if solder bridges exist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back