My First Grado - RS1i - Help me decide if I should keep it...
Jan 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 24
Gnomeplay - I tracked back to the other thread you referred to. That was a very helpful set of posts for getting acclimated to the RS1is and interesting to hear about what others have tried.

Thanks for the pointer.

Mark

No problem,  I do what I can.

That said, the large pads are the only thing that keeps them in my collection. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 24
Grado build quality has always been real spotty.  There are some old pics showing the "factory tour" and it's basically piles and piles of drivers and cups (as in not organized nicely or with care) culled together into a product.  Sometimes you get nicer ones, sometimes you don't.  The cable flat spots you can sometimes fix with some hot water and massaging.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 24
  Grado build quality has always been real spotty.  There are some old pics showing the "factory tour" and it's basically piles and piles of drivers and cups (as in not organized nicely or with care) culled together into a product.  Sometimes you get nicer ones, sometimes you don't.  The cable flat spots you can sometimes fix with some hot water and massaging.

A real shame too. Considering they already have a pretty good following and a nice place in the high end headphone niche, they could be much more of a powerhouse if they would dump a little bit more build quality into their products. That's basically the only thing that keeps me from shooting any higher into their product line. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 24
FWIW I would say that the RS-1/i is the highest I would personally want to go in the John Grado lineup outside of the vintage Joe Grado versions but admittedly I've never heard a gs-1000 or ps-1000.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 24
Makes you not even wan't to step out of the prestige line... Personally they would have gone right back. I can deal with a cable, small issue. But anything out of ordinary on the cups and they are right back in the packaging.

Also, if there was any shred of pride in your (employee's) work, that is not what what a "hand-made" product should be like. It's not like those are tooling marks, something slipped up.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 24
No problem,  I do what I can.

That said, the large pads are the only thing that keeps them in my collection. 

I received both the G cushions (not from Grado, but less expensive ones from Ear Zonk via Amazon) and the sennheiser yellow flat cushions. They both sound much smoother with a wider soundstage than with the stock L cushions, probably due to the increased distance between your ear and the driver. I find that the yellow flat pads are also the most comfortable of the set.

Thanks again,
Mark

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 24

It is a shame, and surprising, for a $700 headphone. If the parts are in bins, they could put the parts in pouches for protection. As for the cable kinks, I think I found the source. When I was packing them up for return, I noticed the heavy cable was unable to bend without kinking in the foam channel. I think if they redesigned the packaging, they could eliminate the kinks. Maybe hot water and massaging helps, but who knows the condition of the wires inside. Not something someone who just spent $700 should have to deal with.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #23 of 24

Ouch, that I didn't know. :frowning2:
So why PS1000 is so expensive ? I really want to get one but I also heard there will be a successor to PS1000.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 24
I received both the G cushions (not from Grado, but less expensive ones from Ear Zonk via Amazon) and the sennheiser yellow flat cushions. They both sound much smoother with a wider soundstage than with the stock L cushions, probably due to the increased distance between your ear and the driver. I find that the yellow flat pads are also the most comfortable of the set.

Thanks again,
Mark

Glad to see that you're enjoying the variety. That's probably the thing I like about them most is the adjustable versatility.

Ouch, that I didn't know. :frowning2:
So why PS1000 is so expensive ? I really want to get one but I also heard there will be a successor to PS1000.

Just buy them used, I see them pop up fairly often on the FS/FT page for around $1100 - $1200. There will pretty much always be a successor to any headphone that you take interest in at one point or another, It's not going to make them any less good, it's just relative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back