My first Grado. Need advice on RS1i mod
Dec 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
I ordered my very first Grado. Got the RS1i, but I was wondering about how the large cussions will fit and sound?  Your thoughts?

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't have the "I's", but I use my RS-1's with the TTVJ flats as well and I love them. Better bass, less strident highs, and lush mids:)

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 16
What are TTVJ flats?  
confused.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 16
I have 325is and G-cush, but I quickly returned to the regular. With G-cush soundstage is much more important but high was so piercing, unlistenable.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
What are TTVJ flats?  
confused.gif

TTVJ = Todd the vinyl Junkie
you can only order the flats from TTVJ, hence the TTVJ flats.

Enjoy your grados ! You'll be hooked !

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 16
I can't find the thread, but I read once that the RS-1 was originally voiced with the flats.  The original ones may have come with flats.

Anyhow, I liked flats on the RS-1 when I had it.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 16
Bagels just don't mix well with the RS1s, sounds horrible. Its more pleasing on the sr325i when i had it. Flats with RS1 are nice but the bass is just too much for my liking. So i prefer the bowl pads with Shack Hack mod, feels more comfortable (able to listen to longer periods of time now), more body and warmth giving a very natural and pleasing sound. A simple little mod that can be applied to any grados, takes about 15mins to make, costs around 2-3bucks but makes a huge difference.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 16
Are the quarter modded Sennheiser pads similar to TTVJ Flats as far as sound goes?

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 16
not really, quarter mod hd414 pads felt like a comfortable version of the bowls, probably because all i remember now is the extreme bass you get from ttvj pads.

Quote:
Are the quarter modded Sennheiser pads similar to TTVJ Flats as far as sound goes?

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 16
So far, I love the RS1i with the stock cushions.  So you guys think the Flats from TTVJ will give me a bit more bass?  I like to have just a tad more bass but don't want it to be bloated.  Are the Flats it?

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 16
So far, I love the RS1i with the stock cushions.  So you guys think the Flats from TTVJ will give me a bit more bass?  I like to have just a tad more bass but don't want it to be bloated.  Are the Flats it?

Please send me a pair of TTVJ Flats and I promise I'll answer that for you :p

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 16
yup those are the pads that give you chest pounding bass. I found the bass too much for my liking and it was very uncomfortable like any other pads because it sits flat so there isn't a single bit of cushion on the ear. My ears were basically flat with the drivers.

Quote:

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 16
If the pads changes the bass too much then it's not for me.  I just want a tad bit more bass, not chest pounding bass.  The search continues.

Are the stock pads glued on?  It seems to be hard to remove without force.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 16
I recommended the Bowl pads with the Shack Hack mod a few posts before, since it did increase the amount of body and bass giving a very a thick and soothing sound. You might want to check that out, its worth the try.

Quote:
If the pads changes the bass too much then it's not for me.  I just want a tad bit more bass, not chest pounding bass.  The search continues.

Are the stock pads glued on?  It seems to be hard to remove without force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back