My experience with Shure's SRH750DJ - now official impressions thread
Nov 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #32 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Touffu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, a question for those who have these cans between their hands : how easily can the cable be changed for a non coiled one ?

It's the same set up as the 840 and Shure currently does not offer a straight cable. I'll be modding my 750s so I can use my own straight cables.
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #34 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Touffu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh...what about the whole "removable" thing ? It's just for...removing, not putting another instead ? o_O

"Removable" at this point allows you to replace the cable if anything goes wrong with it, rather than replacing the entire set of headphones. The proprietary locking mechanism means that you're pretty much stuck using a Shure-made option for now -- which there is currently only one of. I believe someone posted recently that Shure has plans to release a straight option eventually, but I'm not positive about that.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #37 of 108
I received the 750DJs the same day as Warrior did and I have been using them for about 3 hours each day since and I must say that these are excellent headphones! I was underwhelmed at first but a combination of burn in and listening to a quality source really changed my opinion for the better. The only problem is that it is not that comfortable it's not totally uncomfortable since I use them for a few hours a day. However, the headband is just about flat and I have them extended all the way and I have an average sized head. It seems these were made for people with super wide but short heads. To sum it up, the discomfort comes from the headband not the cups.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #38 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the 750DJs the same day as Warrior did and I have been using them for about 3 hours each day since and I must say that these are excellent headphones! I was underwhelmed at first but a combination of burn in and listening to a quality source really changed my opinion for the better. The only problem is that it is not that comfortable it's not totally uncomfortable since I use them for a few hours a day. However, the headband is just about flat and I have them extended all the way and I have an average sized head. It seems these were made for people with super wide but short heads. To sum it up, the discomfort comes from the headband not the cups.

I don't find mine uncomfortable but you are spot on in regards to their fit.

The weak part of the 750s is definitely the chassis. It is a tad creaky especially if wearing them while lying down (I've gone to sleep with mine on). Like you, I have mine extended all the way out to max to fit me. I've never owned or have tried a pair of headphones where I've come close to adjusting them to max. Usually I'm halfway or less.

I'll be taking mine apart to mod some time this weekend. I'm hoping there are metal bands in the headband so I can try bending more of a curve into them.

In regards to how they sound? I love 'em!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have about 60 hours on mine and it seems that they are settled in since I haven't heard any change in the past 10 hours or so.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #39 of 108
Please let us know if it's possible to bend the headband and how if possible. I can't believe that at first I was sure I would end up returning these and now I love how great they sound. The flat headband is the only real drawback.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #40 of 108
I had very minor success: I'm now one click from max. Basically I tried to concentrate a tighter radius at the apex of the headband. I'm assuming I'm heading in the right direction since I was able to readjust. The metal band inside is about a 1/2" wide and less than a 1/16" thick. Seems like good quality metal - better than I've seen in many 'phones. It has good "memory" so you have to keep at it. Bending them takes a certain amount of feel. You don't want to do it all in one shot. And constantly test the fit as you go. There is no plastic in the middle section of the headband so you aren't going to break anything.

The engineering of these is kind of cool though I'm not impressed with the quality of plastic they used. It was fun taking them apart and rebuilding them. Of course I recabled it since I had them completely apart.
icon10.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 108
I'm stuck deciding between the Denon D2000, the Shure SRH840, and the Shure SRH750DJ.

I'll be recabling and modding all three (Markl mod on the Denons).

My music tastes mostly include:
  1. pop rock, pop punk, some alt./punk rock, and pop.
I'm looking for something fun with smooth and sparkly highs, liquidy mids, and a tight and very good in both quantity and quality bass.

I really like the sound signature of the Audio-Technica ES7, but wouldn't mind going a bit more balanced.

I'll also have a decent tube or hybrid amp. Maybe a Starving Student or something, so amping won't be a problem.

Any opinions?

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #43 of 108
I haven't heard a Markl modded D2000s but I know the Denons do respond nicely to mods. Just a recable does a lot for them. I'm not crazy about stock D2000s but when I listened to a recabled pair, I found them much more enjoyable. For your genres, however, I think the Shures are your better fit with a nod to the 750s since you mentioned bass quantity. I didn't mind the bass on the 840s since it was really good but the highs were what got to me. I found it too sibilant and grating.

The 750s really hit a sweet spot for me. Bass has terrific presence and is nice and tight - does take burning in though. Mids are just a tick on the warm side of neutral. Vocals are very well done. And the highs are exactly where I like them. No sibilance but offers some extension and sparkle.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #44 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard a Markl modded D2000s but I know the Denons do respond nicely to mods. Just a recable does a lot for them. I'm not crazy about stock D2000s but when I listened to a recabled pair, I found them much more enjoyable. For your genres, however, I think the Shures are your better fit with a nod to the 750s since you mentioned bass quantity. I didn't mind the bass on the 840s since it was really good but the highs were what got to me. I found it too sibilant and grating.

The 750s really hit a sweet spot for me. Bass has terrific presence and is nice and tight - does take burning in though. Mids are just a tick on the warm side of neutral. Vocals are very well done. And the highs are exactly where I like them. No sibilance but offers some extension and sparkle.

Thanks!
How do the 750s respond to amping compared to the 840s?

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #45 of 108
Hey, thanks for the thread it's been very useful!

I just got my Shure SRH840's in the mail today and even out-of-box they sound very impressive. Unfortunately, I took a glance at myself wearing these cans in the mirror and realized that they were not quite portable. The sound signature of the 750s sounds like a significant improvement for my purposes; unamped MP3 player, fun and energetic music without the piercing highs. My main question is, are these significantly more portable in build? Less bulky than the SRH840s? Also, is the flat headband a significant problem, aesthetically and comfort-wise?

Thanks! May just send my 840s in for these depending on your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back