My experience with different music players.
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #76 of 205
It will vary from PC to PC, your os version and background tasks but typically yeah roon is meant to be run through an endpoint for best fidelity.

I've seen no evidence of this nor any experience of this in multiple years of running Roon. Where is it stated that an endpoint has higher fidelity than a USB connected device?

Let's not make this another debate about Windows services impacting audio unless you have supporting evidence. Or conversely, post some data comparing the processing capability of a typical endpoint device when compared with any modern PC.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 205
What is the best rasp pi for roon endpoint?

I'm unsure of that. Any version would work fine and the latest is pretty cheap too.

You can also try allo digione if you have enough money for it.

This site has a huge database of single board computers.

https://www.hackerboards.com/home.php

Other endpoint options are uptone ether regen, sotm network switches, etc.

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #80 of 205
I've settled on iTunes over others which I've tried upon recommendation. I have one laptop running iTunes which is connected via usb to an OPPO-205's DAC up sampling all AAC, ALAC, and AIFF music to 24/192, outputting stereo analog to Pre-Pro. I am satisfied with the listening experience from this means to music. I have another laptop running iTunes which is wirelessly connected to my Pre-Pro via Airport Express optical S/PDIF 16/44.1 connection to Pre-Pro, whereby the Pre-Pro processes the digital music for analog output.This means to music entertainment is not quite as "detailed" as it is from OPPO DAC, I suspect because my 20 year old Pre-Pro's DAP is not as good as today's processors; but, this can only be discerned at high volume. Thing is, I hardly ever listen to music at what might be described as reference volume so the more convenient wireless access to iTunes music is how I mostly listen to iTunes. Overall, I like iTunes not only for presentation of music but for CD ripping and burning, iTunes Store, Playlist Creation function, Genius Playlists from my iTunes Library, and music recommendations. The bottom-line though is this: since even AAC from iTunes sounds for the most part as nice as stereo SACD, through OPPO's usb DAC, I'm not in the market for something else. My only objection to iTunes is no multi-channel music. But, with Foobar on my computer too that's not an issue.
This also works for me iTunes even with some faults and limitations is very convenient and the OPPO 205 is wonderful for SACD .

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #81 of 205
Yaaay. I've finally got my android system to Sound good. Turns out the battery optimisations were the culprit.

Changed that in system settings for uapp, and had to fiddle out some options regarding volume control in addition (still experimenting, some inconsistencies). Other settings as before - bit perfect output and the likes. As it stands the sound out of this setup is as good as, if not better than a well configured musicbee/winyl on windows. Linux (wtfplay) on my laptop is still noticeably better no doubt but this android setup is enjoyable too.

And it sounded good out of a phone with an old battery and couple of adapters for usb connection. Would be servicing my phone battery eventually and hopefully I'll see even better gains, since my dac gets its power from usb port. Any recommendation for a good inexpensive usb c to micro usb audio cable like shanling l2 please (not generic ones or from people who believe cables don't matter. I respect your opinion, but I believe otherwise)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200702-203701__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200702-203701__01.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200702-211755__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200702-211755__01.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #82 of 205
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #83 of 205
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #84 of 205
I used winamp for years, and I've loved it! But as everyone here surely knows they haven't really updated it for years. I tried JRiver 18? maybe. I didn't like it, I thought Winamp sounded better. I even went to their (JRiver) forum and tried to get help and see if I was doing anything wrong, and ran into snotty people saying the couldn't believe I'd prefer Winamp! Then I found MusicBee and it's a good program no doubt. But in the meantime I had bought a new license to JRiver, got version 25.

I put it up against MusicBee and I found JRiver held it's own, in fact I was finding myself preferring it instead. Shock! So for tonight's listening I'm using JRiver and really enjoying it. I selected the RME ASIO for the output, sounds great. So who knows? I'll keep MusicBee on here of course, and I still have Winamp installed as well.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #85 of 205
Try using RME Kernel Streaming instead of ASIO (if it exist on in your options), if you like it.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #86 of 205
I used winamp for years, and I've loved it! But as everyone here surely knows they haven't really updated it for years. I tried JRiver 18? maybe. I didn't like it, I thought Winamp sounded better. I even went to their (JRiver) forum and tried to get help and see if I was doing anything wrong, and ran into snotty people saying the couldn't believe I'd prefer Winamp! Then I found MusicBee and it's a good program no doubt. But in the meantime I had bought a new license to JRiver, got version 25.

I put it up against MusicBee and I found JRiver held it's own, in fact I was finding myself preferring it instead. Shock! So for tonight's listening I'm using JRiver and really enjoying it. I selected the RME ASIO for the output, sounds great. So who knows? I'll keep MusicBee on here of course, and I still have Winamp installed as well.

I'm sorry for your bad experience earlier. Yeah there is a fair share of snobs from either side of arguments, the ones who hear changes and the ones who dismiss it. Really nice to hear you are enjoying the changes.

While my, and a few of my friend's systems sounded better out of musicbee than jriver, there are few other friends whose systems prefer to be run though jriver. Except foobar, which is a bad implementation, everything else when set to bit perfect is kind of system dependent and it'll be need to be tweaked as per the individual. However, I'd highly recommend trying a well configured linux - bit perfect alsa, realtime kernels. While music players swaps in windows felt like I'm moving between trade-offs, wtfplay, a linux live distro for audio, sounded as a legit upgrade over all the windows players. Usb audio player pro, configured with proper power and bit perfect settings on Android also sounds great.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #87 of 205
@manueljenkin

Aside from UAPP I find also Onkyo HF player to my liking (local playback only). It has a nice upsampling feature (upto DSD128). Neutron MP is as old (in fact older by a few months) as UAPP. But good luck on its UI. It has a good EQ though.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #88 of 205
I'm sorry for your bad experience earlier. Yeah there is a fair share of snobs from either side of arguments, the ones who hear changes and the ones who dismiss it. Really nice to hear you are enjoying the changes.

While my, and a few of my friend's systems sounded better out of musicbee than jriver, there are few other friends whose systems prefer to be run though jriver. Except foobar, which is a bad implementation, everything else when set to bit perfect is kind of system dependent and it'll be need to be tweaked as per the individual. However, I'd highly recommend trying a well configured linux - bit perfect alsa, realtime kernels. While music players swaps in windows felt like I'm moving between trade-offs, wtfplay, a linux live distro for audio, sounded as a legit upgrade over all the windows players. Usb audio player pro, configured with proper power and bit perfect settings on Android also sounds great.

Usb audio player pro, configured with proper power...

how do you change the power setting? I can't find it in the settings. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #90 of 205
It is in your phone battery settings. You can set to keep power optimization on or off for each individual app. Relevant image in post number 81 in this thread.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back