My Emu 0404 USB arrived today
Jul 8, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #107 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanidebm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
received my emu 0404 usb Friday, is the monitor knob supposed to go around 360 degrees?

thanks!

Yes. It's not used during normal USB operation though.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #109 of 156
Has anyone used the emu 0404 usb with a Macintosh setup?
I'm thinking my G5 via usb to----emu rca's to----(corda HA1 or not)-- Senn 600's.

Would the Corda headamp be a benefit or hinderance?

Michael

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #112 of 156
For example:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._1_4_Male.html

Unless you want to pay out of your nose for magic cables
wink.gif
There are tons of cheaper ones, like HOSA, and more expensive ones like Monster (say away) or Mogami. Just google for TRS-RCA cable.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #113 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know if the 0404 works with XP MCE 2005? I've looked at the E-MU site and there's no mention of MCE in the Specification/Requirement tab...

I have XP Pro, MCE 2005, and the 0404USB works great with it.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #114 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any middle-tiered shops that make TRS to RCA cables?

Hosa, and also Horizon; and there are others.

You can use TS if your going to RCA, as RCA is unbalanced. Balanced (TRS) > unbalanced (RCA) = unbalanced signal; and, unbalanced (TS) > unbalanced (RCA) = unbalanced signal.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #116 of 156
Quote:

Do I literally look for TS to RCA?

Yes. You want a pair of TS to RCA cables.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #117 of 156
If I only use USB 2.0 to connect the 0404 to my laptop, I'll still get good sound right? Or should I get a USB external sound card with optical/coaxial out? I'd rather just stick with USB if it's good enough. I might even just get an 0202 since I'll most likely use USB only.

And this will easily hook up to a separate headphone amp, right?

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #118 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hosa, and also Horizon; and there are others.

You can use TS if your going to RCA, as RCA is unbalanced. Balanced (TRS) > unbalanced (RCA) = unbalanced signal; and, unbalanced (TS) > unbalanced (RCA) = unbalanced signal.

The owner's manual says that TRS balanced cables provide +6dB more output. Does anyone know if this is true even if the other end of the cable is RCA. I wish this post had been a couple of hours earlier. As this was being posted, I was out looking for TRS to RCA cables, which I guess don't exists because I couldn't find any. I ended up buying TRS patch cables and a TRS to RCA adapter at Guitar Center.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #119 of 156
Quote:

Sorry, but what does TS stand for? I know TRS means balanced.

Edit: What mean to ask is: Is TS a type of cable? Do I literally look for TS to RCA?

TRS does not necessarily mean balanced, just like XLR (typically, the three pin connector on microphones or balanced analog/digital gear) doesn't necessarily mean balanced (there are versions of XLR with even more pins!)

TRS simply means the sort of plug on headphones, 3 contacts--the Tip, the Ring, and the Sleeve.

For a balanced connection, tip = "hot", ring = "cold", sleeve = ground. The voltage at the "cold" ring is exactly equal in magnitude but opposite in polarity to the voltage at the "hot" tip.

For headphones or single cable stereo interconnect, tip = left signal, ring = right signal, sleeve = common signal ground.

TS is a mono phone plug, tip = signal, sleeve = ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The owner's manual says that TRS balanced cables provide +6dB more output. Does anyone know if this is true even if the other end of the cable is RCA?

Balanced connections only provide 6 dB more output if you use them as balanced connections. 6 dB means a doubling of voltage........and when the "hot" and "cold" are equal and opposite, the magnitude of the difference between them is twice the voltage between either one and ground, right?

I did a bit more web research on this, as I could not understand why shorting the "cold" to ground (as happens when you insert a TS plug in a balanced TRS jack) didn't simply fry the "cold" half of the balanced output stage. Turns out there are many different circuits that can provide balanced signals, and some work as unbalanced with the "cold" side grounded.

My standard caveat: I am a chemical engineer, not an EE, so I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous to myself and confuse others.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #120 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I only use USB 2.0 to connect the 0404 to my laptop, I'll still get good sound right? Or should I get a USB external sound card with optical/coaxial out? I'd rather just stick with USB if it's good enough. I might even just get an 0202 since I'll most likely use USB only.

And this will easily hook up to a separate headphone amp, right?

Just use the USB connection on your laptop with the supplied drivers from E-MU. You can use the ASIO drivers by configuring Foobar or other ASIO-capable players, but the E-MU WDM driver works fine with WMP. See other threads on what to do if you are running Vista rather than XP, though.

To connect to a separate headamp with unbalanced inputs, you have several options:

1. There is a 1/8" mini TRS plug on the back of the unit, so you can use a mini-to-mini cable if that's what the input is on your headamp, or a typical "iPod" cable (1/8" mini to pair of RCA's.)

2. You can buy two 1/4" TS to RCA adapters and use a standard stereo pair of RCA-to-RCA cables.

pRS1C-2266318w345.jpg

Part number 274-884 at Radio Shack, $3.99 each.

3. You can buy, or preferably, build a set of TS-to-RCA interconnects.....the parts can be had for less than $10.....so if you can solder, it's the cheapest and best method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back