My Emu 0404 USB arrived today
Jul 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #122 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TRS does not necessarily mean balanced, just like XLR (typically, the three pin connector on microphones or balanced analog/digital gear) doesn't necessarily mean balanced (there are versions of XLR with even more pins!)

TRS simply means the sort of plug on headphones, 3 contacts--the Tip, the Ring, and the Sleeve.

For a balanced connection, tip = "hot", ring = "cold", sleeve = ground. The voltage at the "cold" ring is exactly equal in magnitude but opposite in polarity to the voltage at the "hot" tip.

For headphones or single cable stereo interconnect, tip = left signal, ring = right signal, sleeve = common signal ground.

TS is a mono phone plug, tip = signal, sleeve = ground.

Balanced connections only provide 6 dB more output if you use them as balanced connections. 6 dB means a doubling of voltage........and when the "hot" and "cold" are equal and opposite, the magnitude of the difference between them is twice the voltage between either one and ground, right?

I did a bit more web research on this, as I could not understand why shorting the "cold" to ground (as happens when you insert a TS plug in a balanced TRS jack) didn't simply fry the "cold" half of the balanced output stage. Turns out there are many different circuits that can provide balanced signals, and some work as unbalanced with the "cold" side grounded.

My standard caveat: I am a chemical engineer, not an EE, so I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous to myself and confuse others.

Thanks for the explanation. I wish the owner's manual was clearer or had a glossary or something. It looks like I'm going to be returning stuff to Guitar Center.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #123 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. You want a pair of TS to RCA cables.

Does a TS, TRS, and 1/4" plug look different from each other, physically?

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #124 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TRS is the same thing as a 1/4" headphone jack

TS looks similar except it only has 2 conductors so only 1 black ring. It's what's pictured above posted by sejarzo.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #125 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TS and TRS means two or three contacts--not the size of the plug!

1/4" TS (a Canare F15):

f15.jpg

The same series plug in TRS configuration (a Canare F16):

f16.jpg

Likewise, you can find mini plugs in the same series, either TS or TRS..........here's a Canare F11, 1/8" TS (though often called just a "mono mini plug"):

f11.jpg

And a Canare F12, 1/8" TRS ("stereo mini plug"):

f12.jpg

Putting it all together:

1. TS and TRS mean "tip, sleeve" and "tip, ring, sleeve", respectively, for what are known as "phone plugs". Small consumer gear often uses the 1/8" (aka 3.5 mm) versions, larger consumer and pro audio gear generally uses the 1/4" version. (There are two other styles of 1/4" plugs that are known as "military/longframe" and "tt/bantam"......do not buy those!)

2. TS and TRS do not necessarily mean a 1/4" plug or jack, though those terms are more often used for 1/4" than for 1/8" connectors.

3. Because a TRS plug can carry a stereo unbalanced signal, it's not right to assume that TRS means a mono balanced connection.

And scompton, I think you need to get your males and females straight.......plugs are the (rather blatantly?) male part attached to your headphone cable.....jacks are the female component on the headamp/player/source.

Yes, I know that the jacks in a deck of cards are males, not females. But what used to confuse me is why a female threaded connector that mates with a bolt is called a "nut"! Given that females don't, umm, never mind......
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #126 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay thanks, I have a 1/8" mini to RCA already but I might go ahead and make TS to RCA IC.

Two of these should work as well, right? (Part # SP-P-3 @ markertek if the link goes weird) http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=0&sort=prod

Yes, that cable from Markertek would work.

Markertek links pretty much always go goofy.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #127 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And scompton, I think you need to get your males and females straight.......plugs are the (rather blatantly?) male part attached to your headphone cable.....jacks are the female component on the headamp/player/source.

Yes, I know that the jacks in a deck of cards are males, not females. But what used to confuse me is why a female threaded connector that mates with a bolt is called a "nut"! Given that females don't, umm, never mind......
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Duh! I always do this. Don't know why, but I always call both plug and jack, jack
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #130 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMedic00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this card a good upgrade over an Audigy (1)? My current setup is just an Audigy > AKG 271S.

Yes

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #132 of 156
Hey guys, I'm planning to setup a htpc soon and was wondering if I can do little gaming with Emu 0404 (usb)?
I'm aware that Emu is very much not a gaming-oriented card, but then again my gaming consists of Civ 4 and Medieval Total War every now and then.
So, can I run those without problems?
Otherwise the usage will be 80/20 movies/music with Beyer DT 770's..

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #133 of 156
stupid question....

so where do i connect my external amp to the 0404 usb? The mini jack connector in the back or the headphone jack in front?

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #134 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stupid question....

so where do i connect my external amp to the 0404 usb? The mini jack connector in the back or the headphone jack in front?

The line outs are on the back. You can use either the mini jack or the 2 1/4" jacks. I have my computer speakers connected to the mini jack. In the 1/4" jacks, I have 2 TS-RCA adapters with RCA cables to my amp. The 1/4" jacks can be balanced (using TRS plugs), or unbalanced (TS plugs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back