My email to UE about my mis-shipped package
Jun 17, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 139
So, Ultimate Ears didn't get the shipping address wrong? Is everything ok? Oh yeah, did you get the hard acrylic or full soft material? Colors? Details?
confused.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 139
No, they got the address completely wrong, the "Suite #" is completely left off the package.

Our usual FedEx guy that drops by in the afternoon was able to pick up that package in time to make it as a part of his normal delivery, instead of having wait 'til the standard overnight shipping person that brings it in the morning tomorrow.

Got the clear & clear, full-soft material.

As far as impressions.. I'll leave that either for a small thread tonight or the full review. All I have to say so far, it wasn't an upgrade, it's only a competitive product.

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 139
wow, that's as close to a rave review as I thought this would get! The UE10 must be awesome! Seriously!

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #21 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
All I have to say so far, it wasn't an upgrade, it's only a competitive product.

I was pretty sure it would be this way. At the end of the day, UEs and Sensas are more or less at a 15% price distance. Add to that the law of diminishing return... and I'm not suprised by your statement. Especially given that both companies have a good reputation for quality products.

I'm eager to read more detailed impressions nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #22 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
I was pretty sure it would be this way. At the end of the day, UEs and Sensas are more or less at a 15% price distance. Add to that the law of diminishing return... and I'm not suprised by your statement. Especially given that both companies have a good reputation for quality products.

I'm eager to read more detailed impressions nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sensas may be very good but the company is absolutely futile to try and communicate intelligently or even at all by email which is especially important if you don't live in the USA.

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #23 of 139
Poor lindrone. First the audiologist, then the shipment, all this to find out its not an upgrade and the full soft material is hard as brick.

I sure hope they were not your 1000 $ (am i right ?).

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin
Poor lindrone. First the audiologist, then the shipment, all this to find out its not an upgrade and the full soft material is hard as brick.

The full soft material is firm when at room temperature. Still is slightly pliable with effort. Once it has been in the ear for 15-20 minutes and has reached body temperature the material becomes softer and more pliable.

So it is soft once it has warmed up. This is good because the phones are robust in storage but do have that extra comfort when worn.

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 139
Quote:

No, they got the address completely wrong, the "Suite #" is completely left off the package.

Our usual FedEx guy that drops by in the afternoon was able to pick up that package in time to make it as a part of his normal delivery, instead of having wait 'til the standard overnight shipping person that brings it in the morning tomorrow.

Got the clear & clear, full-soft material.

As far as impressions.. I'll leave that either for a small thread tonight or the full review. All I have to say so far, it wasn't an upgrade, it's only a competitive product.

Please do post those impressions. I'm still scratching the itch(does it ever stop??) and these intrigue me. I had no problems with a precordial steth which I would wear for a couple of hours at a time, so from a comfort standpoint, these may be worth looking into even though there's no chance of reselling.

Jun 18, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Please do post those impressions. I'm still scratching the itch(does it ever stop??) and these intrigue me. I had no problems with a precordial steth which I would wear for a couple of hours at a time, so from a comfort standpoint, these may be worth looking into even though there's no chance of reselling.

How the hell do you wear a stethoscope for 2 hours?? I've never used mine for more than a couple of minutes at a time!!
eek.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin

I sure hope they were not your 1000 $ (am i right ?).

Yes, they are my $1000... truthfully speaking, I knew this would kind of happen, but I had to get them just to settle the age old argument about which canalphone to get. I really thought a lot of people got UE's just because they've got triple driver, it's that assumption that because they've got triple driver, they are automatically better. UE also has a lot of really heavy-handed marketing, they are the only company that advertises negatively against other company in the IEM business.

So, yeah, I took one for the community, right in the wallets
wink.gif

Before I say anymore, I really should spend more time with them. I spent a couple of hours last night listening to songs, and I left them on all night to be burned in... balanced armature driver really doesn't change in sound characteristic that much, and doesn't require an extremely long burn-in. Still, I'll probably have to do more burn-in, otherwise Welly would cry foul.

Here's a few thing first though:

- "Full-soft" material sucks, period. I know they get software as it gets warmer, but even at its softest, it's pathetic to even call the thing "full-soft" in comparison.

- The construction and workmanship of the whole thing feels cheap next to Sensa.

- The sound is very impressive, but it's "different" than the Sensa, not definitively superior. Each has its use... and depending on your personal preference, UE would not be the right choice for some.

- Coming from a lower-end canalphone, you'll be extremely impressed with either... and you shouldn't have to buy anything else that. UE is not really much of an upgrade at all from Sensa, and Sensa is not a downgrade from UE.

- If you're considering UE, but haven't ordered yet.. you should wait for my review. It may prevent you from making a potential big mistake (depending on your sound preferences).

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 139
Quote:

If you're considering UE, but haven't ordered yet.. you should wait for my review. It may prevent you from making a potential big mistake (depending on your sound preferences).

SO...What the terrible GOD lindrone will tell us???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

All of us will make big mistake if won't listen him....
I'm joking.
icon10.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #30 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
Have to admit that I want you to say that the sensas are better... Ultimate Ears is such an awful name that I don't want to buy them
biggrin.gif

Lindrone may come to a clear opinion that either UE-10 or Sensa's are better. More likely, as he implies, he will find them roughly as good as each other but sounding different so it may be down to personal preference.

But for for me it is academic as Sensaphonic's customer service is absolutely appalling via email and Ultimate Ear's email customer service is, in complete contrast, exceptionally good.

It would be practically impossible for me in the UK to order Sensa's unless I spent a lot of money on phone calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back