My DVD Collection!!!
Nov 19, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
digitalmind if their is 5 movies I would like to recommend from my list...it would be the following:

Dawn Of The Dead (1979) aka. {This is the original...it's not just one of the greatest horror movies ever made on Earth but also an epic}

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) {This is the original...The remake can't touch this}

The Hills Have Eyes (1977) {remake was good but this is better}

Assault On Precinct 13 (1976) {Again the remake can't touch this}

Escape From New York (1981) {The sequel can't touch this}

The Last House On The Left (1972) {The first time I ever tried to watch this one I had to stop & come back to watch it again another day...the acting was so startling real...it was as if something like this actually was to happen in real life it might happen this way}

I'm not much a horror movie fan, even if they are done well they just don't catch me for some reason. Though I've heard of the movies you named before, so they can't be bad and I'll check them out. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by eekcatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should check out the website www.imdb.com which is like the mecca for movie buffs. They have a "top 250 movies of all time" list which encompasses quite a few good movies. I've made it my personal goal to watch all of those 250 movies but I've only achieved around 200 of those movies.

For digitalmind, you seem to have quite a collection of movies but I would recommend a few more movies. Namely:

Requiem for a Dream: If you've liked Trainspotting, I think you would like this. Personally, I like this film because similar to Trainspotting, it depicts the life of three different lives in New York and shows the highest highs and the lowest lows of drug addiction. It's a very powerful/depressing film but also highly recommended. If you like this film, you might also want to check out Pi which is by the same director (Darren Aronofsky) which I also think is a very good movie.

A Clockwork Orange: I see you've enjoyed some Stanley Kubrick films so I think you would like this film which is about the showing that inherently nobody can truly change your inner self no matter how hard one tries. If you like Kubrick, you might also try Full Metal Jacket, a movie about the Vietnam war.

Shawshank Redemption: One of the most inspiring movies I have ever seen. The plot of this movie is simple but the underlying themes of this movie is just wonderful. This movie is about a prison break but it's more than that; to quote this film, "Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free."

Donnie Darko: And for the sake of putting an art house (cult film) here this would be it. It has a very nice twist at the end and I must say it's not for everyone.

And since you live in Germany, you must've heard of "Run Lola Run" which I loved personally which depicts the life of a woman who makes three different choices in life which leads to three different outcomes.

Thanks, I've seen Shawshank multiple times (why I don't have it on DVD I have no idea), and I've seen Run Lola Run aswell. I tried watching Requim for a Dream but I never finished it for some reason, I should give it another shot. Clockwork Orange is great, seen it twice I think.
I'll pick up Donnie Darko if I can find a non voiced over here, I've never seen it but heard alot about it. Good thing I'll only be in Germany till halfway January.
wink.gif

I'm a great fan of IMDB and have watched more than half of the top 250 movies. The problem is that I just don't have enough money to expand both my cd collection and dvd collection by any significance, so they both grow slowly.

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 40
I sold all my DVDs 1 year ago to make room for blue-ray/hd-dvd
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Even watching HD content only on my tiny 15" notebook it made me want to ditch all my dvds.. werent too many anyway, around 100
smily_headphones1.gif

In the future ill only buy movies that i really love and have a high re-watch value, AND have a very very good HD transfer from film.
That wont be too many in coming years
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 40
My DVD collection starts on one wall, and goes halfway around the room (about 25 feet). But I totally stopped, about 8 or so months ago, once I knew HD-DVDs were coming around.

I havn't bought a dvd in months, (only the odd tv show). Due to its more or less pointless, as I dont enjoy the video quality.

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm, doesn't the novelty of DVDs wear out with the recent introductions of the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats?

in 3 years, won't dvds be a thing of the past?

Not unless my CRT suddenly dies by then and I can't find a similar replacement.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 40
Get a few Criterions in that collection. They're worth it just for the extra features. Since you're really interested in horror, the Monsters and Madmen collection is coming up.

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Shining
Scariest movie ever? If not that then the acting and small tricks used (like the sound of Danny's Bike riding trough the halls of the hotel in the beginning shot of the family driving up the mountain) make it a great watch. Very scary because of the story and filming, not because of sudden sounds or the like. Stanley Kubrick did a great job. Doesn't stick with the story of the book but I'm not sure which end is better, Stephen King's or Stanley Kubrick's. Both the book and film are worth reading/seeing.

Definitely agree on that one.
eek.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm, doesn't the novelty of DVDs wear out with the recent introductions of the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats?

in 3 years, won't dvds be a thing of the past?

I have already stopped buying DVDs, except for my 3 yr old, who tends to turn them into frisbees, and concerts. The only problem is that the HD titles are coming out at snails pace. Things should pick up soon.

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #25 of 40
I have hundreds of dvds (thanks to way too many years working at blockbuster)

I am personally more than happy with the picture quality. Not until i have a 62 inch HDTV, which might be never, will i feel any need to upgrade.

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Heh, go get tehm!

So what are you going to do with those people who voted "It Sucks"?

Well I think the people who voted It Sucks are jealous or just want to be a pest or maybe they are in a bad mood because their boyfriends just left them. LoL

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Heh, go get tehm!

So what are you going to do with those people who voted "It Sucks"?

Well I think the people who voted It Sucks are jealous or just want to be a pest or maybe they are in a bad mood because their boyfriends just left them. LoL
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 40
sorry woulda given a higher vote, but im a little girl and cannot watch too many horror movies or I have to sleep with the lamp on. You have more dvds than me tho, and if there were not horrors I would say nice collection. Heres my collection:

誰も知らない (Nobody Knows), 태극기, Survive Style 5+, The Departed, IЯЯƎVƎЯSIBLƎ, Munich, Peppermint Candy, A State Of Mind, The Silence of the Lambs, Old Boy, Requiem For a Dream, Batman Begins, Collateral, Ichi The Killer, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, 쉬리, Elephant, Farenheit 451, Il Mare, Equilibrium, The Shining, Diabolique, Dances With Wolves, Full Metal Jacket, Boondock Saints, Saving Private Ryan, Psycho, Forrest Gump, Star Wars, One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, Day After Tomorrow, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fail-Safe, Amadeus, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Apocalypse Now, and of course... Dumb & Dumber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back