my dt880s 600 ohm version are here!
Aug 27, 2008 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone, well after a week of waiting without any headphones my dt880s 600 ohm arrived today. I love their soundstage, not as broad as the akgk701 but I think it is more natural, deeper. It does not have the magical sparkle in th etreble and nor the instrument separation of the akgs. But I think it sounds more natural/integrated though I am still planning to also get an akg k701 again at some point.
I am goin gto listen to some more stuff now!
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, well after a week of waiting without any headphones my dt880s 600 ohm arrived today. I love their soundstage, not as broad as the akgk701 but I think it is more natural, deeper. It does not have the magical sparkle in th etreble and nor the instrument separation of the akgs. But I think it sounds more natural/integrated though I am still planning to also get an akg k701 again at some point.
I am goin gto listen to some more stuff now!
Greetings, Anouk,

x2 on everything. Well said. If I could take only one of the two with me forever, it would be the 880/600's. I would miss the 701's.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 18
Anouk, what amp are you driving these with? I've heard the 250 ohm version, and my buddy had both versions, and loved the 880's but eventually sold them and went with HD650's. Nothing wrong with the sound, it just didn't syntesize well with his system.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 18
Hey there,
At home I use the pimped out headroom desktop amp, it is non-balanced. I would really like to try the beyers with a corda amp though because the synergy seems to be really well according to some folks. I will not be able to use these with a portable amp I suppose 600 ohm is a bit steep. They sound really good on the headroom volume is at 5 of 24 in high-gain. Its a bi tlouder then with my other headphones for it to sound good.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 18
Congratz on the new purchase! The 600 Ohms 880's have been on my list of wanted phones for quite some time now. I'm curious to hear more about your experiences with them.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Hey Reb, maybe I am willing to sell them in a few weeks after comparing them with the edition 9s and the grados that are on their way... I think I love the akgs more, the sparkling treble, the instrument separation.... I think the dt880s are great though. They might be a bit more natural (better 3d soundstage) and a tiny bit more bass..... I have to listen a bit more though, I think it has other earpads then the dt990/600 but I might be wrong. The earpads are velour... I have pictures from the previous owner but now Idea how I can post htem here... The clamping force of the dt880 is a bit high on my cheeks though...
Anyone who can help me with the pictures?
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 18
Interesting comments on details. I found them almost on par with W5000 and better than AD2000, they have better dynamics than AD2000 too, only slower. May be they just don't mesh well with headroom amps as I am using GS-1. They must be well burnt in already, I assume?
As of today they are my favorites, mix of W5000 and HD650. And despite 250Ohm brother, they DO sound natural.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I'm kind of jealous. I settled for the 250 ohm version. But I will tell you they sound pretty remarkable with my Meier Corda Opera ... at least that's what the last 24 hours shows.

Yea, I'd be interested in your opinion of the 600 ohm version as well.

Congrats!

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 18
Hello all, the at w5000 is really tempting! I hear they have a very nice soundstage. I am not a fan of the denon d5000 or the hd650. I did not like the hd650s midrange, much too laid back. I just found the d5000 totally unexciting... I think the dt880s are pretty natural sounding, more natural then the k701 the k701 has just got more magic for me...
Man I really want to hear the beyers with the opera!
Anyone in the netherlands interested in a temp trade for their opera with my headroom desktop?
That would be really interesting.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 18
Hey everyone, I am thinking the dt880s might be a bit more backwards with their soundstage then the k701. I do not mean they are recessed but it seems that you are sitting a bit more away from the musician... I might be wrong though sinc eI owned more headphones between the dt880s and the k701 and sound impressions go fast... It might be that this comparison only is true for the sr325i...
I thought these where a bit claustrophobic. you sit right next to the artist on stage. I really like a bright, lively, energetic sound that is upfront in your face but I prefer sitting in the first row, a broad first row, instead of on stage...
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Congrats on your new toy!

I just finished a week long comparison of both the 250 (my own) & 600 ohm (borrowed) versions of the DT880.

A Singlepower MPX3 SLAM and an Apache provided the necessary amplification.

The 600 ohm can is relatively new, while the 250 ohm has had about 300 hours on it. Burn in believers take note.
biggrin.gif

Main observations, 600 vs 250 ohm:

The most apparent difference was a more subdued treble presence with the 600 ohm. This by no means makes them dull or veiled. It just tames the top end sparkle of the 250 ohm helps address one of the common concerns of the 250 ohm, an energetic treble in some systems.

Bass was tighter, but still had just as good slam. Sounds more natural to me.

I did not feel the soundstage to be appreciably different from the 250 ohm version.

DT880 vs K701

I have always found the K701 to offer a 'drier' sound that was more neutral/ accurate while the DT880 provided a 'rounder' presentation and was more fun.

I would probably go for a 600 ohm version if I was starting over again.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 18
Anouk, that's interesting regarding the mids on the 880s. Compared to the HD650, i found them MORE laid back, although somewhat more refined and clearer. It's weird that of all the traits of the HD650, you'd find the mids too laid back...I think that's one of the more pronounced aspects of them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anouk, that's interesting regarding the mids on the 880s. Compared to the HD650, i found them MORE laid back, although somewhat more refined and clearer. It's weird that of all the traits of the HD650, you'd find the mids too laid back...I think that's one of the more pronounced aspects of them.

From memory that was indeed a problem with 250Ohm version, I just cannot or refuse to hear mids recession with 600 Ohm.
BTW, never felt that HFD650 mids are recessed if that's what meant by "laid back".

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 18
I think of it this way..."laid back" = impression of being further away from the performance (describes soundstage). "recessed" = lower in the mix in relation to highs or lows (or overall...describes frequency response I guess).

Perhaps I should have said "Anouk, that's interesting regarding the mids on the 880s. Compared to the HD650, I found them MORE recessed, although somewhat more refined and clearer. It's weird that of all the traits of the HD650, you'd find the mids too laid back...I think that's one of the more pronounced aspects of them."

Anouk's original comments I was referring to were "I did not like the hd650s midrange, much too laid back." AND "I am thinking the dt880s might be a bit more backwards with their soundstage then the k701. I do not mean they are recessed but it seems that you are sitting a bit more away from the musician... I might be wrong though since I owned more headphones between the dt880s and the k701 and sound impressions go fast... It might be that this comparison only is true for the sr325i...
I thought these where a bit claustrophobic. you sit right next to the artist on stage. I really like a bright, lively, energetic sound that is upfront in your face but I prefer sitting in the first row, a broad first row, instead of on stage..." - which to ME would actually be an impression of the soundstage...sorry for the confusion.

To clarify my thoughts...I think the DT880 250 ohm has more recessed mids (in relation to the rest of the frequency response), and are less laid back (in OVERALL soundstage) than the HD650. I think the HD650 is fairly laid back over all, but definitely has pronounced mids.

Jeez...my brain is a mess, sorry...trying to do too many things at once, lol...

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 18
Congratulations Anouk. Welcome to the club.

My advice: Do not give up on the DT880/600s too quickly. I keep coming back to them. They have the clarity game wrapped up. What I mean by that is, if your source is magic they just send it on through. It always worth having cans like that on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back