My DIY electrostatic headphones
May 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #931 of 4,059
I've been having a dust squeal in my right channel for weeks. I've brushed off the diaphragm dozens of times, checked and cleaned the stators for surface dust, and just don't know what's up. Has anyone had any difficult-to-eliminate squeals and found any tricks? It's usually only present in high humidity (almost continuous squealing if I try to wear them after showering and having wet hair, otherwise the squeal is somewhat rare occurring only a few times a day)

There is a fair bit of dust on the diaphragm because I don't have a cleanroom so it's effectively impossible to get fully clean, but it's no different form the left channel which rarely if ever squeals.

May 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #932 of 4,059
Not sure if it is the same thing but I was having this with some diaphragms that had too low a resistance (ones coated with graphite). Using the other coatings like the anti static gel has got rid of that, perhaps trying acetone and then recoat?

Chaz

May 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #933 of 4,059
The easiest way to deal with the squealing issue is to insulate the active stator area.  I always spray a few layers of acrylic paint over the copper on my stators.  This helps prevent the possible exidation on the copper and at the same time help fix the squeal.  

Anyway, after insulate the stators, you still need to clean everything up though.

Try it. 
L3000.gif

Wachara C.

May 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #934 of 4,059
We had a mini meeting among headphones lovers here in Bangkok yeterday.  We had a few different Stax headphones and my Omega clone and Orpheus clone to try.  We unanimously agreed that the oval shape Orpheus clone won over the Omega clone. 
dt880smile.png

At least now I'm not alone who thinks that my oval shape headphones, which have bigger diaphragm area, sound better than the Omega clone.
L3000.gif

Wachara C.

May 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #935 of 4,059
Quote:
We had a mini meeting among headphones lovers here in Bangkok yeterday.  We had a few different Stax headphones and my Omega clone and Orpheus clone to try.  We unanimously agreed that the oval shape Orpheus clone won over the Omega clone. 
dt880smile.png

At least now I'm not alone who thinks that my oval shape headphones, which have bigger diaphragm area, sound better than the Omega clone.
L3000.gif

Wachara C.

Are we talking about the original Omega or OII?

BTW, that gotta be an awesome meet!!  Those folks are so lucky checking out to your creations in person.  Wonderful work again krub.

May 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #937 of 4,059
Quote:

Are we talking about the original Omega or OII?

BTW, that gotta be an awesome meet!!  Those folks are so lucky checking out to your creations in person.  Wonderful work again krub.

I'm talking about comparing my Omega clone to the Orpheus clone. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't want to talk about how mine sound as compare to other Stax headphones, because they already sound good enough to me. 
L3000.gif

Wachara C.

May 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #939 of 4,059
The KGSSHV looks so bad ass next to other amps.  The behemoth rainbow KGSSHV that is!

May 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #943 of 4,059
Quote:
haha. this is inside of the rainbow kgsshv.

Thanks for the pic.  Are those on or off-board version?  The chassis reminds me of the Audio Reserch gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back