My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #3,421 of 4,061
Hi Guys,
I attached (uploaded) my schematic design.
It uses the 272BX transformer.
It works pretty well.. I have the Stax SMR1/MK2 amp and strangely it seems quite similar.
The STAX amp also uses high power 25k resistors as the load, but they use transistors and I use FETs.
My design is much more simple.

https://imgur.com/a/kEamkLj

Edit: When I try and edit this post it shows that there is an attached file.. but once posted, I don't see a file where I can click and open... Any help is appreciated.

I would love to build my own energiser, I currently have just a srm-252s for testing my stats. Would it be possible to get a PCB like you mentioned before and a BOM? I would greatly appreciate it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #3,427 of 4,061
@wrinex do you reccomend the method of using speaker under the membrane to set the right tension?
if I can scale the tension
what the tension (in Grams) that I have to use on headphone diaphragm?

* I carved dipper hole inside Stax lambda normal so it have now 0.5mm depth.
* I accidently destroyed my sr-202 try to recoat them with antystatic spray and its melt the black color that coated on the stators :frowning2:

Can I acchive the same quality as branded original headphones from streching a diaphragm by myself?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #3,428 of 4,061
Thanks for the advice.
If I remove the dusts and left channel keeps making buzzing noise, I am going to renew a membrane.
possible that the air conditioner or some humidity pass between the stators, you have to keep the headphones on dry place.

I have this issue on some old headphones too and I plan:
- add some mineral wool on the back of them
- add some resistor on the bias connector to protect it from too high charging, read that resistor can keep the driver from distortions (I think 10Mohm or even more)
*protecting from overcharching spead
*the last one is if the membrane over charged becoase the coating

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #3,429 of 4,061
@wrinex do you reccomend the method of using speaker under the membrane to set the right tension?
if I can scale the tension
what the tension (in Grams) that I have to use on headphone diaphragm?

* I carved dipper hole inside Stax lambda normal so it have now 0.5mm depth.
* I accidently destroyed my sr-202 try to recoat them with antystatic spray and its melt the black color that coated on the stators :frowning2:

Can I acchive the same quality as branded original headphones from streching a diaphragm by myself?

hmm well i am no expert at all with ESL headphones, or even esl's i used the speaker method on bigger panels. i think it might be hard to pull off on headphones. maybe the weight thing might be the easiest method for a headphone.

not sure what anitstatic you sued and what material is on the stators... :frowning2:

may

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #3,430 of 4,061
Yesterday was a very special day for me. I got to meet a young entrepreneur from India, Aumkar of Kaldas Research. He came to Thailand to meet me and to give me a pair of his electrostatic headphones. Using this opportunity, I set up a mini meeting with my local head-fi friends. We had a lot of fun listening to his headphones and many other.

B7-C6534-C-742-D-4-EC9-BD3-A-5-A4-FD68-E4-A3-B.jpg

B6-C694-E2-CCF6-4-EC4-B531-A02-BC2-CA72-A4.jpg

4-C892-D14-6-FED-4026-9-F14-15-FBA02-D373-F.jpg

077-BB44-A-CF6-C-4-FDE-A112-994-CBC9-B3-E63.jpg

8435-E2-F9-F5-F6-424-A-ABD3-E1-C4-DCDA8-B9-D.jpg

0-CDCC76-A-13-B2-4221-90-E5-5-A1-B92-B78168.jpg

E083-D106-8-AD0-492-D-BD73-9-C06-C4-CC972-A.jpg

By the way, his headphones sounded absolutely fantastic. Congratulations, Aumkar!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3,431 of 4,061
Thanks for the advice.
If I remove the dusts and left channel keeps making buzzing noise, I am going to renew a membrane.

Try this: play a series of ultrasonic tones using Foobar2000's tone generator (25 khz, 30 khz, 40 khz) for 10 seconds each. You'll need to set the tone/sweep sample rate to 96khz in Advanced settings.

This won't help with major dust issues (you'll need to wet clean the stators with alcohol, at least), but it might get a pesky dust particle off without resorting to driver surgery. Seemed to work for me at least.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,432 of 4,061
Thank you everyone.
I removed dusts and renew dust cover with 2 micron mylar, and the problem seems to be solved.
I tried 1.5um Toray PET film as dust cover but that doesn't work. (can't insulate from humidity and causes noise)

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #3,433 of 4,061
i still wonder why dustr is such a problem.. it never is with tweeters with 1mm spacings and far higher biases in the regions of 3Kv........ headphones..... few hundred

adding dustcovers just like quad did moves the upper ferquencies exactly the same way it does as using thicker foil :). i once made tweeters with multiple membranes and doubling them, perfectly folows the use of 2 as thick foil :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #3,434 of 4,061
i still wonder why dustr is such a problem.. it never is with tweeters with 1mm spacings and far higher biases in the regions of 3Kv........ headphones..... few hundred

adding dustcovers just like quad did moves the upper ferquencies exactly the same way it does as using thicker foil :). i once made tweeters with multiple membranes and doubling them, perfectly folows the use of 2 as thick foil :frowning2:

Do you know that some headphones’ stators aren’t insulated. Any dust goes in between the stators and diaphragm can actually cause noise.

I don’t really notice the degradation of sound with the dust cover on though.

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,435 of 4,061
maybe the plates isolated.
quad 57 treble (squacker + tweeter) using 0.5mm and 1.5kV

the must DIY makers proffer to put the dust filter on headphones
after squashing it like this,
claimed that else it will damage some frequencies

on quad 57 guide it says to put it normally without stretching and some suggest to use some heat-shrink membrane and heat it.

squash like this
10034811.jpeg

I think that humidity makes more sound distortion then dust, you will hear it without any sound from the headphone, the dust cover or some felt layers the only that can protect from it.

if it shorted (on headphones) you will hear really distorted low sound, on speakers I read that if you forget to put the resistor, all the diodes will blow (so DIY headphones to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back