My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #3,407 of 4,061
Transformerless_Side.JPG
Tried to post this pic earlier.. let's try again. Let me know what you think. I used a nylon cover for the dust guard. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't take away from the sound. Amplifier is my own design, and solid state.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #3,408 of 4,061
Tried to post this pic earlier.. let's try again. Let me know what you think. I used a nylon cover for the dust guard. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't take away from the sound. Amplifier is my own design, and solid state.
i walays wondered how much dust is an isue , for esl it is mentioned often to although i had 30+ old panels in many shape and forms and actually never seen dus to be honest :frowning2: look nice trough

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #3,410 of 4,061
i walays wondered how much dust is an isue , for esl it is mentioned often to although i had 30+ old panels in many shape and forms and actually never seen dus to be honest :frowning2: look nice trough

Actually dust in the driver is a big issue with electrostatic headphones, the phones can sound rather annoying when you hear those static sounds. I highly recommend that the stators be coated with insulation paint. This could very well solve the noise issue even if there is dust inside the driver. By the way, the dust cover also serves as a protective layer against sweat. In hot summer days, you don’t want to have your sweat inside the driver and short everything. It can be very dangerous too.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #3,413 of 4,061
Actually dust in the driver is a big issue with electrostatic headphones, the phones can sound rather annoying when you hear those static sounds. I highly recommend that the stators be coated with insulation paint. This could very well solve the noise issue even if there is dust inside the driver. By the way, the dust cover also serves as a protective layer against sweat. In hot summer days, you don’t want to have your sweat inside the driver and short everything. It can be very dangerous too.
Without dust covers even conditioner could make enoth humidity for distortions

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #3,414 of 4,061
I bough some used Stax sr-202, That I have now to restore, the drivers falls inside + the headband not soo good + the ear pad dried and pretty hard.

I glue the driver back in place.
I accidently touch the back side of the driver becoase I dont know that there is a phassive filter, old lambda not having this one on his back.

What the element on the bias connector that they put there:
I short it becaus the I not like the sound of this headphones.

here where I touch, I dont know how protect the dust filter In future.
E1Hywo8.jpg

And how to replace the headband and make the pads softer?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #3,415 of 4,061
@wrinex
I need your help to fix my quad esl57
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/341092-fix-quad-esl-57-a.html#post5874554

first, I having an issue to understand how to create the protection boards ( arc clamping boards), where can I order the zener-diodes/diodes?

I still can't understend how to coat the membrane of the electrostic headphones
even when I found some explanation, I still cant find this matterial.
for example
I just couldn't understand how this material looks like.
10ml organsol+4ml soup (contain Sodium Laoral Sulphate) ?
what is organsol?
what is Sodium Laoral Sulphate?
JSqM5xP.png

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #3,416 of 4,061
@wrinex
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/341092-fix-quad-esl-57-a.html#post5874554

first, I having an issue to understand how to create the protection boards ( arc clamping boards), where can I order the zener-diodes/diodes?

for example
what is organsol?
JSqM5xP.png

@legopart, please consider asking questions about fixing your ESL at diyaudio as there are far more experts over there.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #3,417 of 4,061
Hi Guys,
I attached (uploaded) my schematic design.
It uses the 272BX transformer.
It works pretty well.. I have the Stax SMR1/MK2 amp and strangely it seems quite similar.
The STAX amp also uses high power 25k resistors as the load, but they use transistors and I use FETs.
My design is much more simple.

https://imgur.com/a/kEamkLj

Edit: When I try and edit this post it shows that there is an attached file.. but once posted, I don't see a file where I can click and open... Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• schematic_build4.pdf
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #3,418 of 4,061
Hi Guys,
I attached (uploaded) my schematic design.
It uses the 272BX transformer.
It works pretty well.. I have the Stax SMR1/MK2 amp and strangely it seems quite similar.
The STAX amp also uses high power 25k resistors as the load, but they use transistors and I use FETs.
My design is much more simple.

Edit: When I try and edit this post it shows that there is an attached file.. but once posted, I don't see a file where I can click and open... Any help is appreciated.

Really like to see your design. It's simpler to put your file somewhere else and post a link here. That goes for all the pictures if you will post too.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #3,420 of 4,061
@wrinex

for example
what is organsol?
JSqM5xP.png

Never done 57s as well i dont know the components you mention. They are i guess 57 (only) related. I know they used a weird coating and 2 different types of foil. But cant help you there. Indeed ask the fellow diyaudio members. But most of all use the search butten over there or just google. It has been done many times i believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back