My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #3,392 of 4,061
Thanks, I read alot about the electrostating speakers/headphones, after having one pair of Q57, I understand now about what he talked.
I cant find any "conductive coating" for cheap price.
I want to try this material https://www.ebay.com/itm/DecoArt-Americana-Chalky-Finish-Paint-8oz-Carbon/232227805278
even if I sure that its not it purpuse, and maybe it described as Carbon only becoase it black color.
Or this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32719764648.htmhttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/32719764648.html
or this pen https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920339916.html

the price of this set that you suggest is too high, and without some streching mechanism and with limited materail.

I read some about the streching mechanism and found my method is not so good
vYzDrnE.png

I though a lot how to restore the original membrane, but It seen unpossible.
At this point I do it without any seccess. the only method that I found usefull, is to strech it with tape on a table.

I tough about this membrand if I will replace on mine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrostatic-Speaker-Membrane-Dupont-Mylar-C-12um-20M/182167831875

Cant understand this guy on 20:00, which material he used, look wrong to cover the membrane with conductive material.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #3,393 of 4,061
1. Does anyone have issues sometimes with rattling during deep bass caused by the sweat guard?

2. Has anyone compared their sensitivity to the stax? I notice the stax is probably twice as sensative as my own. I’m using 0.6mm and stax uses 0.5mm but I wonder if the larger contributing factor is how penatrable their stators are? (almost mesh like)...

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,395 of 4,061
Cant understand this guy on 20:00, which material he used, look wrong to cover the membrane with conductive material.

I might be able to translate :) since i am that guy. but i am unsure of witch part you did not get :)

Ill try to explain. i used a carbon Black tatoo ink, and the reason is that it has allot of carbon black percentage, besides some filler material of which i dont know what it is. i do know it is water soluble. carbon black is a conductor and has very very tiny particles, this makes it suitable to make a coating that is medium high resistance up to really high resistance. when dried it is really thin, problem is getting a consistent coating, also the reason i rather not use it if i can. but it is a bit of hit and miss so far.

"it looks wrong to cover the material with conductive material"
Well since the whole goal is to charge the foil statically, this works with about everything that conducts, but higher resistance coatings perform better in the low end since the charge does not migrate as much as with low resistance coatings. so on a low resistance coating the charge when low frequency are played tend to move to the point that is closest to one of the stators (with high frequencies there is hardly any movement thus not much of a problem). in a high resistance coating this effect is not as strong. creating an more even static foil. and thus less distortion.

i hope that helps, if not just ask, although im no expert in ESL's or EST's you can always try :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #3,398 of 4,061
Cool thread!

After reading a few pages of this thread, now I want to make a pair of electrostatic headphones, but sadly, no cigar :frowning2:

Cool nonetheless :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #3,403 of 4,061
im pretty sure everyone can :) you dont need a cnc to make one !

Pretty sure I can't.

Pushing a button is easy, hence me typing, but I don't have the dexterity to build headphones,

I won't post a pic, but google images "rheumatoid arthritis and hands".

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #3,404 of 4,061
Pretty sure I can't.

Pushing a button is easy, hence me typing, but I don't have the dexterity to build headphones,

I won't post a pic, but google images "rheumatoid arthritis and hands".

Oh im sorry i never thought actually about not actually being able. im sorry must keep that in mind ! usually people just say stuff like that since they never worked with it etc. in my opinion allot of people can make much more then they think but i can imagine if it its just physically not possible that might sound rather stupid.. , if all thats true , and you are able to make a cup and maybe some of the other parts i would be happy to send you some of my planar magnetic drivers if i feel they are decent enough. so you can build the stuff your own that you are able to manage. but only if it is not a bad joke ! everyone should have the opportunity to build something you like yourself !.

i know its not an esl, but i first have to finish one project for a change before i start the next one (although i already made a fast driver EST recorded a week ago i am trying to restrain myself)

Greetings Joppe

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,405 of 4,061
Oh im sorry i never thought actually about not actually being able. im sorry must keep that in mind ! usually people just say stuff like that since they never worked with it etc. in my opinion allot of people can make much more then they think but i can imagine if it its just physically not possible that might sound rather stupid.. , if all thats true , and you are able to make a cup and maybe some of the other parts i would be happy to send you some of my planar magnetic drivers if i feel they are decent enough. so you can build the stuff your own that you are able to manage. but only if it is not a bad joke ! everyone should have the opportunity to build something you like yourself !.

i know its not an esl, but i first have to finish one project for a change before i start the next one (although i already made a fast driver EST recorded a week ago i am trying to restrain myself)

Greetings Joppe

It's all cool, no need to apologise :wink:

I can do alot of things, my hands are not 100% wrecked, but they are well on the road to being wrecked. it's just a matter of when and not if.

I could probably build a pair, but it would take ages and hurt alot in the process, as once I really start working with my hands, within 5 - 10 minutes they are all swollen, stiff and sore. What I wouldn't be able to is things like wiring, soldering etc, the last time I tried to use my soldering station ended in disaster. Anything that needs precision hand movement is dodgy nowadays. Don't get me wrong, my hands are not useless, but for delicate or small things, we don't get along nowadays.

Thank you for your kind offer to send drivers etc, it's very much appreciated, it really is, but I know I would make a complete mess of building them.

However;

It would be cool to hear your home made planars, if your ever in or going to be in the UK, if you want, take your home made planars and pop in by my pad, I will get to hear your planars and if you haven't already, you can get to listen to my Chord MScaler and Chord Hugo TT 2. Your planars will sound good on TT2, as it has alot of power behind it to drive even the hardest to drive planars on the market.

It's all cool though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back