My DIY electrostatic headphones
Jun 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #2,161 of 4,059
Hi all, 

I wish to build ESL speakers since year, but big lake of time and space, so now I will start with Headphone.

There is the link to my very first 3D conception : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3k06KRLerMUX3FZTS1lamFKVWM

I have access to a 3D printer, laser engraver, 3 axis CNC (all DIY).

Could you please tell me what you think about my design ?
Parts 2 and 3 are concentric, part 3 is for the electrical conduction to the diaphragm.

I still have questions about the coating, I will try the same way as chinsettawong. Do you think that any anti-static gel will do the trick ? (Sorry, I have not finit to read the all tread i'm page 44)
If you can point me to the best way to coat it, I appreciate.

And the last question are about to find a drawing to made the amplifier, I'd like a way to easily adjuste the diaphragm bias and anodes voltage via potentiometer.

Waiting your reply !
Thank you. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,162 of 4,059
Hi JFK,

Your design looks OK.  However, nylon stocking for dust cover isn't good enough.  I use Mylar for the dust cover too.

I'm curious as to what kind of 0.01 mm tape are you going to use.  I'm not sure if the tape is strong enough to hold the diaphragm under tension though.  I guess it's best that you try it and let us know how you like it.

Since you have all the tools to get all the things done.  Just go for it.  :)

There are many antistatic gels on the market.  What I can get here might not be available where you are.  I now use floor cleaner as my coating material and it works great for me.

Keep us posted of your progress.

Wachara C.

PS.  I also make full range ESL.  If you can make the headphones, ESL aren't more difficult.  

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,163 of 4,059
Thank you for your reply.

Could you please post a link about your floor cleaner? I will try to find something identical.

And if possible a good link about diy amplifier.

Of course if needed, I can share the 3D files (Solidworks). Open source power!
And finally, if someone want me to make 3D file of your hand drawing for CNC processing, no problem.

For the amp, i was thinking to use Icepower 300asc modules as I can buy it at my job for 47€ each, then use simple transformers for high voltage.
What do you think about it?
Edit: just checked, can get 50asx2 too, should be enough for a headphone?
The diaphragm bias voltage is around 600V.
What about the stators voltage? Around 600V too?

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #2,164 of 4,059
If you have read the thread from the beginning, you should have noticed that I have already recommended a very easy to build all-tube amplifier on the very first page.  Or if you want some high end DIY amps, you should check out those designed by Dr. Kevin Gilmore.  They are some of the best in the world.

Also about the coating material, Staticide 6300 is very good.  For floor cleaner as the coating material, I use this:

Best regards,

Wachara C.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,166 of 4,059
Chinsettawong -- Holy Cow!  I became an audiophile only a few months ago shortly after moving to Bangkok.  It wasn't long after that that I stumbled upon electrostatic headphones, then DIY electrostatic headphone discussions, and then now, your DIY thread.  

You are absolutely awesome!  I am an electrical engineer of almost 30 years and was proud of being able to restore my beat up old Stax SR-303 and amp, but I was stunned when I saw what you were able to do as a DIY'er -- with a DIY CNC, no less!  I hope to one day make my own electrostatic headphones, but I can only dream of coming even remotely close to a fraction what you've done.  What a feat of engineering and craftsmanship!

Wonderful Work!

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,168 of 4,059
Chinsettawong,
I'm living in Bangkok for the next couple of years.  I'd love to see your work in person one of these days.  They look beautiful in the photos you've posted in this forum.
Best Regards,
Vinh (bui501)

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,169 of 4,059
Hello, 

Did someone have try this kind of conductive glue for the diaphragm to the FR4 copper PCB ?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b70c/

I still don't know why, but I want to coat the diaphram on both side and use that kind of conductive glue for the contact to the PCB. 

What do you think ? I'm wasting my time ?

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,172 of 4,059
Any reason not to use Staticide 6500.  I can't find the 4oz bottles of 6300 and don't feel like spending $120+ for a quart.  The 6500 spray seems to be the same as 6300 but in an aerosol.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back