My DIY electrostatic headphones
Apr 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,146 of 4,059
I am also planning to build my own electrostatic headphone. I want to make a huge Jecklin Float type headphone.
My plan is to go with 100x120mm active area. The drivers will be made of PCB in 1 or 0.5 mm thickness. I want to
make a 3d printed housing and be able to move the drivers into proper position (distance and angle to the ears) as
every head is different.

I have allready started to repair Stax drivers from an SR-5, SR-Omega and a 507 Lambda (the glued drivers are a
pain as it is practically imposible to disasemble the divers if there is a problem). SR-Omega and SR-5 are screw
together and can be easyly reopend. I use a frame that was cut at the corners and can be pressed apart with screws.
I glue the Mylar (1.5 micro) with doublesided tape to the longer sides of the frame and tighten it with the wooden
latch to the frame with a protective ducktape between the Mylar and the latch.

I was successful in making drivers from my SR-Omega that are working fine without any dustissues for a few months.
But as Wachara said before: It was a trail and error to get the proper tension. I use 1.5 micro Mylar and stretch tight.
Then I use a head gun and warm the mylar to about 150°C and stretch it again. I do this two or three times. At the end
I try to get the tension nearly the same over the whole surfcae checking it by knocking with my fingernail to different
parts of the membrane. The I glue the metal rings onto the mylar by putting a glassplate exactly underneath the mylar
and then another glassplate on top of the metal rings. I use some heavy books to have good pressure on the metal rings
while the glue (I use Pattex 100% glue without solvant). It takes about 1-2 hours to dry enough to flipp the stretcher and
I do the same with the glassplates to put pressure on the rings when gluing the spacers to the other side of the Mylar.
After another 1-2 hours. I have tried diffrent types of glue and had the problem that many epoxy glues or contact
cement where drying to fast form me and therefore did not stick properly in the end. The Pattex has another advatage
in my opinion. It is strong enough to hold the Mylar when dryied but can be cut open again without too much hassle.
Another thing I had when gluing mylar with glue containing a lot of solvent was that some parts of the Mylar where
affected and turned milky.

When the glue is dried I cut the membrans out with a soldering iron that I also use to carefully remove the rest of the
Mylar around the drivers. I coat the membrans on both sides (as Stax does it) with a thinned antistatic agent applied
with a sponge. I make shure to also coat the inner side of the metal spacer as this is where the bias gets to the
membrane (the glue is an isolator). I tired to measure the resistance of the dried antistatic but my meter showed
nothing (It can measure up to 2gigaohm with up to 1000V). So I think my resistance must be higher than 2 gigaohm.
My experience with the Omega is that it has no charging time to reach full volume and it is of corse equally loud on
both sides. I also reworked an old non working Jecklin Float with this method. Of corse I did only coat one side of
the Float membrans because of the design. It has only one metal stripe to connect to one side of the membrane.
And as there are no seperate spacers (they are integrated in the stator) I could not coat the membrane on the side
faceing the stator. I just coated the opposite side and then (still in the stretcher) put the other stator on the coated
side (after coating was dried) and screwed both together as Wachara does this with his designs. I had to manipulate
the stators and drill bigger holes into it to be able to use screws. Again it allows for better maintainance if there is a
problem with the driver. Sorry but I forgot to make pictures of the Float drivers during the work. But here are pics of
the Omega and Lambda drivers:

Basically I found out what Wachara allready stated. 1.5 micro Mylar is very tricky to handle and
it takes a lot of trail and error to get the right tension. I never had too much tension on a driver. 
Only not enough. You are right if the tension is nearly maximum and another tiny bit of stretching
and the Mylar would rip apart. I only got the right tension with heat treatment. With the coating it
is another story. Like I said I could not measure the resistance. I am not really shure it was because
of too high resistance or bad contact. The agent I use is not commercially available. It is a basic
solution for making commercial antistatic. I used 20 parts alcohol (in Germany called Spiritus) and
one part antistatic and applyed a thin layer of the mixture (as thinn as possible but covering the
whole Mylare surface). When the coating has dried I apply it to the other side and let it dry again.
Then I use a very soft brush when assabling the drivers to clean everything carefully (including
the membrans on both sides). Ready. Or there is noise and I have to open the driver again and
clean everything. Sometimes serveral times.

I hope this is helpful for anyone trying this at home! If there are still questions feel free to ask!

May 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,148 of 4,059
chinsettawong answered already to all these questions many times.
so, just as for me, ( I still havent' read it all) I think it would be better to read the thread, of at least, some parts of it, you will find the answers repeatedly, I think.

May 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,149 of 4,059
  chinsettawong answered already to all these questions many times.
so, just as for me, ( I still havent' read it all) I think it would be better to read the thread, of at least, some parts of it, you will find the answers repeatedly, I think.

Thanks wppk for helping me answered.

By the way, when I had the real Orpheus with me, I still prefer the sound from my Orpheus clone.  
beyersmile.png

I do not sell any of my work.  Please read the thread and if you are interested in building them, I'm always here to help.

May 30, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,150 of 4,059
  I am also planning to build my own electrostatic headphone. I want to make a huge Jecklin Float type headphone.
My plan is to go with 100x120mm active area. The drivers will be made of PCB in 1 or 0.5 mm thickness. I want to
make a 3d printed housing and be able to move the drivers into proper position (distance and angle to the ears) as
every head is different.

I have allready started to repair Stax drivers from an SR-5, SR-Omega and a 507 Lambda (the glued drivers are a
pain as it is practically imposible to disasemble the divers if there is a problem). SR-Omega and SR-5 are screw
together and can be easyly reopend. I use a frame that was cut at the corners and can be pressed apart with screws.
I glue the Mylar (1.5 micro) with doublesided tape to the longer sides of the frame and tighten it with the wooden
latch to the frame with a protective ducktape between the Mylar and the latch.

I was successful in making drivers from my SR-Omega that are working fine without any dustissues for a few months.
But as Wachara said before: It was a trail and error to get the proper tension. I use 1.5 micro Mylar and stretch tight.
Then I use a head gun and warm the mylar to about 150°C and stretch it again. I do this two or three times. At the end
I try to get the tension nearly the same over the whole surfcae checking it by knocking with my fingernail to different
parts of the membrane. The I glue the metal rings onto the mylar by putting a glassplate exactly underneath the mylar
and then another glassplate on top of the metal rings. I use some heavy books to have good pressure on the metal rings
while the glue (I use Pattex 100% glue without solvant). It takes about 1-2 hours to dry enough to flipp the stretcher and
I do the same with the glassplates to put pressure on the rings when gluing the spacers to the other side of the Mylar.
After another 1-2 hours. I have tried diffrent types of glue and had the problem that many epoxy glues or contact
cement where drying to fast form me and therefore did not stick properly in the end. The Pattex has another advatage
in my opinion. It is strong enough to hold the Mylar when dryied but can be cut open again without too much hassle.
Another thing I had when gluing mylar with glue containing a lot of solvent was that some parts of the Mylar where
affected and turned milky.

When the glue is dried I cut the membrans out with a soldering iron that I also use to carefully remove the rest of the
Mylar around the drivers. I coat the membrans on both sides (as Stax does it) with a thinned antistatic agent applied
with a sponge. I make shure to also coat the inner side of the metal spacer as this is where the bias gets to the
membrane (the glue is an isolator). I tired to measure the resistance of the dried antistatic but my meter showed
nothing (It can measure up to 2gigaohm with up to 1000V). So I think my resistance must be higher than 2 gigaohm.
My experience with the Omega is that it has no charging time to reach full volume and it is of corse equally loud on
both sides. I also reworked an old non working Jecklin Float with this method. Of corse I did only coat one side of
the Float membrans because of the design. It has only one metal stripe to connect to one side of the membrane.
And as there are no seperate spacers (they are integrated in the stator) I could not coat the membrane on the side
faceing the stator. I just coated the opposite side and then (still in the stretcher) put the other stator on the coated
side (after coating was dried) and screwed both together as Wachara does this with his designs. I had to manipulate
the stators and drill bigger holes into it to be able to use screws. Again it allows for better maintainance if there is a
problem with the driver. Sorry but I forgot to make pictures of the Float drivers during the work. But here are pics of
the Omega and Lambda drivers:

Basically I found out what Wachara allready stated. 1.5 micro Mylar is very tricky to handle and
it takes a lot of trail and error to get the right tension. I never had too much tension on a driver. 
Only not enough. You are right if the tension is nearly maximum and another tiny bit of stretching
and the Mylar would rip apart. I only got the right tension with heat treatment. With the coating it
is another story. Like I said I could not measure the resistance. I am not really shure it was because
of too high resistance or bad contact. The agent I use is not commercially available. It is a basic
solution for making commercial antistatic. I used 20 parts alcohol (in Germany called Spiritus) and
one part antistatic and applyed a thin layer of the mixture (as thinn as possible but covering the
whole Mylare surface). When the coating has dried I apply it to the other side and let it dry again.
Then I use a very soft brush when assabling the drivers to clean everything carefully (including
the membrans on both sides). Ready. Or there is noise and I have to open the driver again and
clean everything. Sometimes serveral times.

I hope this is helpful for anyone trying this at home! If there are still questions feel free to ask!

Many years ago I was a post-doc in a University department of Electrical Engineering where the senior technician made electrostatic drivers for ultrasonic air-borne sonars. These had to be made to a  consistent standard and had to pass a set of  frequency response measurements.  To get consistent tension, he used a system of weights  to stretch and  tighten the mylar before gluing  I don't have any pictures though and he is long retired. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #2,151 of 4,059
Dear Forum!

I am writing if anybody could help me with a little technical help, I don't know if I'm knocking at the right door...
I am now about to remove the old and put some new dustcover into my Quad 57's panels.

I am asking what kind of cellotape should be used for the procedure?
I can source 50mm wide PP, PVC, BOPP tapes, but I have no idea which one should I buy?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #2,154 of 4,059
It's been a while and some stuff got in the way for a while, but here's a fully working driver that I built today to verify that the materials were sufficient and the old Koss energizer works.  I plan to use these materials and methods to now build a pair of drivers into an existing pair of headphones.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #2,158 of 4,059
  Good job!  How big are your drivers? What is your spacer thickness and bias voltage?

Thank you!  The outer diameter of the drivers is 85mm, but the actual size of the driver itself is a square that's about 55mm on each side.  The "spacers" are 3M VHB double-sided tape, taking a hint from how Martin Logan assembles their speakers.  It's about 1.14mm thick.  I'm using an old Koss E9 energizer that supplies a bias voltage of about 360v, but works differently than the modern amps do.  It's all as cheaply as I could possibly do and make it work, just to test, and that energizer was $30.  It has to be used with the old Marantz receiver in the first video's thumbnail because that's the only power amp that I have access to that has common ground between the speaker outputs, which the Koss energizer uses.

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,160 of 4,059
  Using whatever you can find to work with is actually a very good idea.  From there you learn the basic and you can gradually improve on your design.

Congratulations and keep us posted with your progress.

I still had to buy a ton of stuff, but what I basically did was cut a lot of corners.  I'm now shifting gears to get a pro bias source so I can build to an accepted standard for driving it and use amp plans from online.  It sounds quite good when you're in its beam, but I'm eager to build this into a pair so that I can really hear it.  I'm a little concerned because it clearly is spiking the higher it gets.  We stopped the frequency sweep at 17 kHz because the amp had started clicking at 17.5 frequency.  Sustaining 17 was fine and really loud.  I hope that building it into the shell will settle some of that more level due to the proximity.  It's been fun, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back