My DIY electrostatic headphones
Dec 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,666 of 4,059

About glue, the best glue that I've tried is still rubber glue (contact cement).  Try and you'll see why.

Wachara C.

Thanks again Wachara for your continuous help !

My present issue is that I don't know what is rubber glue (contact cement)...
Unfortunately.  

Which of the following will be close to your own glue ?

http://www.pattex.fr/fr/produits-pattex/colle-contact.html

Last but not least, none of the glues I've found, is conductive... My PCB rings with their copper trace have to be bond to the coated Mylar, but keeping the electrical contact... The only solution is to use a conductive glue, isn't ?

OndesX

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,667 of 4,059

Unfortunately.  

Last but not least, none of the glues I've found, is conductive... My PCB rings with their copper trace have to be bond to the coated Mylar, but keeping the electrical contact... The only solution is to use a conductive glue, isn't ?

OndesX

I'm curious too, based from the pics I've gathered on the interweb, it seems to be mostly used to glue wood on wood...

BTW, Where are you based in France (feel free to reply by PM or not at all if you feel like doing so) ? I'd love to hear your cans once they're done
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,668 of 4,059

Unfortunately.  

OndesX

You've got it all wrong.  I glue the Mylar to only one spacer.  The other spacer uses its copper to charge up the diaphragm.  I don't glue this one to the diaphragm.  My drivers are pressed together using non conductive screws.  

By the way, I want to show you my coated diaphragm:

I coated the diaphragm with the floor cleaner.  When it's dried, it actually left a haze on the diaphragm.  I then rubbed it off with a piece of cloth, and the diaphragm was very transparent.

Wachara C.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,669 of 4,059

You've got it all wrong.  I glue the Mylar to only one spacer.  The other spacer uses its copper to charge up the diaphragm.  I don't glue this one to the diaphragm.  My drivers are pressed together using non conductive screws.  

Wachara C.

Thank you for this beautiful pic and your explanations.

These are the drawbacks here : I initially thought to this option in my theoretical approach, but of course there is an asymmetry between the two sides of the diaphragm, since obviously one side is free of bond whereas the other has an additional thickness due to the glue. Secondly, with 0.5 thickness of spacers another issue seems to be the rigidity of the ring compared to the force imposed by the tensioned Mylar... 

Incidentally, aside of these two issues, I will use nylon screws (2 mm for the diameter) and I'm not sure these screws might press correctly all the parts, keeping a good flatness for each and a perfect homogeneity all around of the space between the stators and the membrane !

The only cure to these two drawbacks, are first, use a very thin layer of glue, while keeping a solid bond, secondly use a reasonable tension for the Mylar in order to avoid any folding of the spacer ring.

For the second point, I have  perhaps an idea to circumvent this eventuality : use the stator and the outer ring, as a support to keep both structures as flat as possible before cutting the Mylar. The thickness of the glue remains an unknown for me : I don't know how the difference in the distance D/S might impact the "balanced" operation of the cell. Do you have an idea ?

The pressing force will be a surprise when all the 8 screws will be installed in the final step !...

OndesX

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,670 of 4,059
  Thank you for this beautiful pic and your explanations.

These are the drawbacks here : I initially thought to this option in my theoretical approach, but of course there is an asymmetry between the two sides of the diaphragm, since obviously one side is free of bond whereas the other has an additional thickness due to the glue. Secondly, with 0.5 thickness of spacers another issue seems to be the rigidity of the ring compared to the force imposed by the tensioned Mylar... 

Incidentally, aside of these two issues, I will use nylon screws (2 mm for the diameter) and I'm not sure these screws might press correctly all the parts, keeping a good flatness for each and a perfect homogeneity all around of the space between the stators and the membrane !

The only cure to these two drawbacks, are first, use a very thin layer of glue, while keeping a solid bond, secondly use a reasonable tension for the Mylar in order to avoid any folding of the spacer ring.

For the second point, I have  perhaps an idea to circumvent this eventuality : use the stator and the outer ring, as a support to keep both structures as flat as possible before cutting the Mylar. The thickness of the glue remains an unknown for me : I don't know how the difference in the distance D/S might impact the "balanced" operation of the cell. Do you have an idea ?

The pressing force will be a surprise when all the 8 screws will be installed in the final step !...

OndesX

Hi OndesX,

Don't think too much.  Just make them. 
wink_face.gif

Wachara C.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,672 of 4,059
  For your first pair, I would suggest that you stick with what I suggested.  You might not have known, but it took me a very long and frustrating time to actually find something that's cheap and works.  As for me, I have stopped trying to find other coating materials.  I like what I use and I'll stick to them.  I wasted too much time in the past without anybody giving me good guidances.  I just hope you guys listen to me and just make your headphones. 

Yesterday / Today I looked for the floor cleaner.  As far as I can tell from the picture the ingredients are:

Linear Alkyl benzene Sulphonate (LAS)

and Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate

Which here in the USA manufacturers do not have to list the ingredients on the bottle.

Also there are many names a chemical can be named as. (20+)

From what I could find on google they all seem to have very complicated formulas here.

so gave up on that, again.  And just bought some.

and it works, we'll see how long.

If it fails I will try another.

one side is ACL Staticide 6300 and the other is Pledge
biggrin.gif

listening to these with a KGST tonight
o2smile.gif

Ingredients are:

Yea I only know what two of those are:)

Tomorrow I might mount those pads............

Thanks all

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,674 of 4,059
 We don't really need to know what the stuff is made of.  If it works, it works. 
L3000.gif

I haven't tried window glass cleaner such as Windex, but I think it'll work too.

Wachara C.

Of course, I agree... The only issue is that we never be able to use the same product, since it is not accessible everywhere !...

This is why we need to know the "magic" formula of yours.

Perhaps there is only one of the products of interest, but no one knows if it's not all the elements and why not their precise proportions !

The customer service might help in giving the formula of your miracle product, don't you think so ?

OndesX

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,677 of 4,059
Come on guys! I've been trying to show you that there are a lot of commonly available stuffs that you can use to make a good coating material on the diaphragm. Of course, it's rather difficult to find the exact same product in every country. But I'm sure you can find something useful if you really look around. I would suggest that you go to a computer store and pick up a bottle of computer screen cleaner. The one that says to contain electrostatic discharge should all be OK.

Wachara C.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #1,678 of 4,059
Come on guys! I've been trying to show you that there are a lot of commonly available stuffs that you can use to make a good coating material on the diaphragm. Of course, it's rather difficult to find the exact same product in every country. But I'm sure you can find something useful if you really look around. I would suggest that you go to a computer store and pick up a bottle of computer screen cleaner. The one that says to contain electrostatic discharge should all be OK.

Wachara C.

I can imagine it won't leave much ressidue either as it is likely to be ethanol based.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,679 of 4,059
Merry Christmas to everybody!

During the past few weeks, I've been trying to design and make Stax female sockets.  Here is what I've come up with using my 3D printer.

There are still some flaws but I think it's usable.  My printer is printing at 0.4 mm per layer.  If it can print at 0.2 mm, I think it'll turn out a lot nicer.

If anyone wants to try it, here is the link: https://tinkercad.com/things/7pGkeN939L6 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back