My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,517 of 4,063
Very cool Wachara!  Which model did you get?  If you don't mind, can you post close up shots of the final plastic pieces so we can see the resolution capabilities of the printer?  I figure I'll wait a good 2 years until I get one since that area should be much improved in that time.

Really I just want one for things that would require more than a 3 axis CNC, like the hinge mounting holes you have on the sides of the cups.  Don't forget to draw a slit for the cable to fit through. :)  I think it'll also come in very handy for making a piece that connects the hinge to the headband.  Good luck!

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,518 of 4,063
I have a Prusa i3.  The working area is only 180 mm x 180 mm.  My intention is to use it to make parts like the arc and headband.  I'm still learning to draw and having a hard time puting holes in their precise locations. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a good camera with me now.  Following pictures are the best that I could take.  I still need to learn a lot about this 3d printing.  I think it has a good potential.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,519 of 4,063
What a fun machine a 3D printer is!  I think it has a very good potential. 
L3000.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,521 of 4,063
Great looking work Wachara.

looks to me like you're getting the hang of this pretty quickly :blush:

Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thanks.  I've been having a lot of fun learning to use the printer.  I think I have learned quite a few things so far. 
wink_face.gif

The ABS plastic is quite good.  It's melting point is high, and so I try to use it to make a male jack for the headphones.  Looks like it might just work. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,524 of 4,063
There you go, Wachara is leading the revolution again!! A bit flashy color for me but impressive nonetheless!
Arnaud

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,526 of 4,063
There you go, Wachara is leading the revolution again!! A bit flashy color for me but impressive nonetheless!
Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,
I do feel that the color is too flashy too.  However, it's just a preliminary prototype to prove that it works.  I have a plan to print it out using black ABS plastic. 
L3000.gif

Wachara if you keep improving your designs like this you should apply for a loan, perhaps you could make your own headphone manufacturing company... or develop models for another company at a cost
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
  When I'm old and retired, I might consider just that.  For now, everything is just for fun. 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,528 of 4,063
Lol, I wonder what your headphones would go for if auctioned..

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #1,529 of 4,063
Ok, here is an update of my Stax plug.

I've put up the file at here

You need to sacrifice the pins from 2 sets of XLR male plug to make a piece of this.  The holes are design to be a tight fit for the pins.  Depending on the accuracy of the 3d printer you use, you might need to enlarge the holes a little before you can squeeze the pins in.  Well, you might need a hammer to knock the pins in.  

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back