My DIY electrostatic headphones
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,216 of 4,061
Where are you trying to source these from? Sennheiser charge nothing like that amount.
Quote:

I just couldn't justify the ~$1000 for Orpheus earpads, so I did make my own. Nothing about it is exact since it's hard to get dimensions of the Orpheus. My drivers are actually probably a bit larger. 

The Orpheus is brighter than the SR-007, but I expect the majority of people have not heard the two side by side
  There's no right answer, build them and see if you like them! Obviously a lot of people like sr-007. A lot of people would consider my orpheus clones too bright (which by the way are 84 x 122mm active area), but they're exactly what I want and are quite possibly the best headphones out there for me, but not for a lot of people. The greatest thing of making your own headphones is you get to tune them to what you want, which is difficult to do without experimentation. 

I did once make 56x82mm headphones, and I'd say they were definitely too small. Pretty much impossible to get any bass out of them. 70x105 is certainly an interesting size to try.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,217 of 4,061
I made some earpads with a smaller inside opening (new left, old right)

Pretty much did as expected. Substantially shrank the sound stage, while improving the sound quality (but not magnitude) of the bass and being a fair bit darker of a sound.

Overall, I substantially like the old earpads better. They offer a much more believable image and are overall way more enjoyable to listen to. The only artist that sounds better on the new ones is 2Pac.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,218 of 4,061
  Dude  how thick are your pads? are the new ones thicker?
they look pretty big in size(OD).

A friend made these with lambskin, modeled after the 007 pad pictures.
just guessing that it will work well, after all its Stax.
they are comfy.
also are some T50rp and SR-3 pads for reference.

have not tried them yet, still using 105mm (OD) ebay ones for now.

thanks for the post N pic......

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,219 of 4,061
  I made some earpads with a smaller inside opening (new left, old right)

Pretty much did as expected. Substantially shrank the sound stage, while improving the sound quality (but not magnitude) of the bass and being a fair bit darker of a sound.

Overall, I substantially like the old earpads better. They offer a much more believable image and are overall way more enjoyable to listen to. The only artist that sounds better on the new ones is 2Pac.

I also like the bigger opening in the middle.  I share the same experience as yours.

But, the ones without earpads aren't sounding that bad either - the sound stage is huge too.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,220 of 4,061

A friend made these with lambskin, modeled after the 007 pad pictures.
just guessing that it will work well, after all its Stax.
they are comfy.
also are some T50rp and SR-3 pads for reference.

have not tried them yet, still using 105mm (OD) ebay ones for now.

thanks for the post N pic......

Your DIY earpads look really nice!

My Omega clone's earpads are about 35 mm on the thicker side and 20 mm on the thinner side.

Wachara C.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,221 of 4,061

They are both 1" thick foam mounted on a 0.125" ABS holder which directly contacts the driver, so the face of the earpad is about 1.2" from the driver.

Both are 148mm x 110mm OD. Old ones are 114mm x 76mm ID, new ones are 100mm x 62mm ID (those are the dimensions of the foam, the leather and seam add probably another 3-4mm on each side).

Anyone happen to know what the orpheus ID is?

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,223 of 4,061
Hello Guys.

I readed the complete thread since yesterday.
And I have to say:

Great work of everybody.

But I have one question.

The dust and humidity saving foil.
Is it mounted direktly on the pcb?
Is it glued on?
Could be that I had overreaded this information...

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,226 of 4,061
  Hallo Guys.

I readed the complete thread since yesterday.
And I have to say:

Great wok of everybody.

But I have one question.

The dust and humidity saving foil.
Is it mounted direktly on the pcb?
Is it glued on?
Could be that I had overreaded this information...

The dust screens are just like diaphragms, they are mounted on a frame and suspended a distance away from the stator and the outer grill. The only difference is they are lower tension than the diaphragm, and often crumpled up.

Unrelatedly, one thing I discovered many months ago is how to avoid squeal. It's actually not dust (at least, not usually... I know in extreme cases, it can be). When making diaphragms, I used to just run my finger around the rim once and call it good. But it is imperative that the inner edge of the diaphragm is securely glued entirely around the inner perimeter. The squealing is the diaphragm oscillating against the holder frame, likely some charge exchange going on if it's not glued on well. Run your finger along where the red line is in this picture immediately after gluing the diahragm (very carefully, obviously watch your finger nails, don't want to scratch the mylar). My headphones used to almost always squeal periodically especially in high humidity. Ever since I started doing this, I've NEVER had squealing headphones and can even wear them with wet hair (seriously guys, that's no more dangerous than wearing them at all).

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,228 of 4,061
It is amazing how little is actually known about 'stats and their weird behaviour. 

Now that we are at it, I want to tape up some holes in a dust protector on my LS (it is squealing, have had problems with imbalance too), and I have been told that I need to use a knife to get into the dust protector because it is glued together.. Anyways, if I try to tape up the dust protector, how should I close the hole thing again, with some thin double adhessive or something?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #1,230 of 4,061
  Let us see some pics of your LS and the dust protector.

Not much to see, just a handful of small holes (Ø 1-2 mm or so) and one bigger hole as I remember. Will try looking a little closer at it later 2day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back