My DIY electrostatic headphones
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,201 of 4,061
Extra copper on the outside face should not increase capacitance at all, since there is no e-field between that copper and the opposing face. The through holes could very, very slightly increase capacitance due to fringing fields, but it would only be in a way that would increase the uniformity of force and make everything better.

The only way to increase capacitance would be to have more surface area on the inner stator faces. It appears the sr-007 might have unnecessary copper there also, but that's an entirely different issue.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #1,203 of 4,061
Well I prefer the Floats for certain types of recording, particularly where it has been made in a great acoustic environment. The soundstage on the Floats I find particularly good.
However; I could never give up my Stax such as the 007 Mk1's, 009's and Sigmas as they all have unique and different attributes. The Lambda series are not to be ignored either, particularly the LNS

Quote:
  There are at least 3 pairs of QA float around here that I know of.  Do you mean that you prefer the boxing helmet style headband?

I actually like how K1000 places its drivers on the headband.  I think I might do something similar for my next ones. 
wink_face.gif

By the way, do you prefer QA float over other electrostatic headphones?

Wachara C.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,205 of 4,061
Indeed very interesting, though I must confess I haven't read the whole thread. It is kind of a dream of mine to make my own 'stats, but I just don't have the tools and I'm not too good at diy either

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,206 of 4,061
Has anyone tried to mimic the 007 stator design?

These are 80mm active, 840 1.2mm holes.

also,  any (ebay) ear pads to try?
or dimensions to try, heigth, hole size, volume?
or should I learn to sew and try to make the  007 pads?

I thought making ES drivers would be worthwhile but had no Idea they would be this good.

thanks

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,208 of 4,061
  Has anyone tried to mimic the 007 stator design?

also,  any (ebay) ear pads to try?
or dimensions to try, heigth, hole size, volume?
or should I learn to sew and try to make the  007 pads?

Yes, I have made 007 clone drivers. I actually bought the sr-007 earpads on ebay to use. In my fairly extensive experience with earpads on these DIY headphones, the driver sets 10% of the sound, and the earpad geometry and material sets 90% of the sound. If you want to actually get sr-007 sound, you'd best buy the earpads or at least fabricate nearly exact clones yourself.

I have been told, and agree, that they sound very similar to the actual sr-007.

Incidentally I don't really like the sr-007, and as a result rarely listen to them compared to my Orpheus clones.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,209 of 4,061
I assume they are not true Orpheus clones as they have stators built from glass, and the driver itself is coated with gold particles?

Quote:

Yes, I have made 007 clone drivers. I actually bought the sr-007 earpads on ebay to use. In my fairly extensive experience with earpads on these DIY headphones, the driver sets 10% of the sound, and the earpad geometry and material sets 90% of the sound. If you want to actually get sr-007 sound, you'd best buy the earpads or at least fabricate nearly exact clones yourself.

Incidentally I don't really like the sr-007, and as a result rarely listen to them compared to my Orpheus clones.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,210 of 4,061
Correct, I just used FR4. I do have access to gold sputtering and will make gold glass stators some day just for the sake of actually cloning them, but it's not very high on my priority list at the moment as I don't believe the sound will be any different. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,211 of 4,061

Those stators look really nice. How do you like them as compared to other versions? Do you feel that they have warmer sounding?

By the way, do you use single or double sided PCB?

Wachara C.

Single sided, could not think of a reason for DS,  Will report when I try these, it may be a bit because
I have many projects going at once.

Quote:

Thanks for that Pic!  yours look exactly like the 007, Great Job.
I was just moving in that direction, from the ones I did that work well.

I don't know what a SR-007 sounds like, just looking for ideas here.

did you make or buy the Orpheus pads?

Thanks

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,214 of 4,061
There's no right answer, build them and see if you like them! Obviously a lot of people like sr-007. A lot of people would consider my orpheus clones too bright (which by the way are 84 x 122mm active area), but they're exactly what I want and are quite possibly the best headphones out there for me, but not for a lot of people. The greatest thing of making your own headphones is you get to tune them to what you want, which is difficult to do without experimentation. 

I did once make 56x82mm headphones, and I'd say they were definitely too small. Pretty much impossible to get any bass out of them. 70x105 is certainly an interesting size to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back