My DIY electrostatic headphones
Sep 25, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,511 of 4,058
first attempt always fail, and it really looking ridiculously.

Not like to wait.
I cut it from the film, check the continuity and then solder it.
I made it too flexible + overstretch it.
done it too clumsy.
2-4 hours of work+ 16 hours of waiting

it sound too low and too scretchie
I gonna throw it and just learn from this trying.
it gonna be hard to make ESH without working tools and knowledge.
Kg9SZTj.jpg

got to find some easier DIY, or get lots of more knowledge and ability

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #3,515 of 4,058
Having just watched your video,.... is that really the sound coming from your DIY ESHS’s ?
If so, not only am I surprised, but quite impressed.
Mmmm, I should hold before I laugh or mock and instead be amazed.
Next time I will do it more accurate, less flexible and set the bias on the corner and not on the middle.

found something iteresting about ESH with bias of 1350v
but still can't understand how do they built.

I have the problem to understand things, :)
Tyll is the best!!!
@Tyll Hertsens

Sep 30, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #3,517 of 4,058
Do the bigger sizes improves the quality of the sound/music ?
Of course it does. Bigger active area - more air volume - more bass (and louder). I have 74mm - 4300mm^2, 94x68 - 4430mm^2 - ellipse and 84mm - 5540mm^2 - circle. You can hear the difference between circle 74 and ellipse 68x94 in bass response, although the area is almost the same, but with 84 circle there is huge difference in bass. Planning to try now 70X100 ellipse, to see how it would perform. Area is the same as with 84 circle, but I have the feeling bass is better with ellipse.
There is some roll off of trebles with bigger phones, but it's not that significant (at least it's not for me, I can't hear anything above 12-13 kHz anymore :triportsad:) as the with the bass.

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #3,518 of 4,058
elops of circle 74 o
when you using 68x94 is feels like 94 o, round circle instead of 74
reminded me some dynamic speaker
images

But still, with bias of 580v you can have space only of 0.5mm
so you on small driver you can stretch the membrane less and achieve it full movement
on bigger drivers with with spacer of 0.5mm you have to stretch the membrane to stop it from moving and hit the spacer and make any distortion.
so... theoretically for same bias (and same ear canal area of 1cm and spacer 0.5mm) you almost archive the same sound

There is some roll off of trebles with bigger phones, but it's not that significant (at least it's not for me, I can't hear anything above 12-13 kHz anymore :triportsad:) as the with the bass.
add some tweeter as 2way system

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #3,519 of 4,058
elops of circle 74 o
when you using 68x94 is feels like 94 o, round circle instead of 74
reminded me some dynamic speaker
images

But still, with bias of 580v you can have space only of 0.5mm
so you on small driver you can stretch the membrane less and achieve it full movement
on bigger drivers with with spacer of 0.5mm you have to stretch the membrane to stop it from moving and hit the spacer and make any distortion.
so... theoretically for same bias (and same ear canal area of 1cm and spacer 0.5mm) you almost archive the same sound

add some tweeter as 2way system

On stretching I agree, you can stretch less and that's what I do, but still the bass is much lower. I believe, because stretching although has some effect on the bass, it's not that much, as the sealing to the ear, I have made measurements with microphone, which pretty much demonstrated this, I think many others did that as well. .
As for the ellipse, well, 68x94 is definitely not like 94 circle, As per area calculation it should be 74 circle, but may be in practice, it's a bit bigger, in the way it sounds. The ones that you showed are not ellipse, but rectangular with round corners, those got bigger area that ellipse, with the same long and short diameters. My first prototype was with that shape.
Adding twitter for me is a waste of time and resources. and is complicated - you need a separate path (plus crossover??) for it, it will "eat" out of your active area - hence lower bass. I think you will not gain anything, after all membrane is almost as light as air, moving it with 20kHz shouldn't be an issue.

Hmm, I don't really know, when and how I got so wrong. 68x94 ellipse is exactly 80mm circle. So that's why my ellipse sounded with better bass than the 74, but with less than 84.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #3,520 of 4,058
non circular is interesting on speakers, it distributes the breakup modes from radial resonances so you get a broader but less intense breakup.

ESLs have such light diaphragms and simple (well controlled) mechanics that it might not make much difference - but its hard to know.

elipses might work very well. i would be very interested to see the low-ish frequency response graphs (50-400hz) if you build them.

-Steve

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #3,521 of 4,058
non circular is interesting on speakers, it distributes the breakup modes from radial resonances so you get a broader but less intense breakup.

ESLs have such light diaphragms and simple (well controlled) mechanics that it might not make much difference - but its hard to know.

elipses might work very well. i would be very interested to see the low-ish frequency response graphs (50-400hz) if you build them.

-Steve

Here you go:
The top one is circle 84mm, lower - 68x94 ellipse. Setup is not good, ambient was noisy and I had to apply some pressure on the phones to create good seal, but for comparison it works.
As expected circle has better bass and is a bit louder (bigger area), otherwise I don't see much differences.

circle.jpg
ellipse.jpg

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #3,522 of 4,058
very impressive results, i have never measured such a flat low frequency response. i usually see a peak around 70-100 hz, which i assumed was the diaphragm breakup.

did you check the fundamental resonance of your diaphragm? i use it to confirm i have the tension i expected.

i do agree though, the responses dont look different enough to be meaningful.

also, how are you measuring the rssponse, the minidsp dummy head?

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #3,523 of 4,058
Doesn't look that good to me honestly. Here's mine measured using the DSP EARS. Left and Right measurement. Response is very flat (within 3dB SPL between 20Hz and 1kHz). Difficult part is to perfectly match the L and R with sensitivity and this one is very well matched and the sound stage will be excellent. Bass response is insanely good. Clarity and speed is what you'd expect from Estats. I use round stators.

response.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #3,524 of 4,058
Doesn't look that good to me honestly. Here's mine measured using the DSP EARS. Left and Right measurement. Response is very flat (within 3dB SPL between 20Hz and 1kHz). Difficult part is to perfectly match the L and R with sensitivity and this one is very well matched and the sound stage will be excellent. Bass response is insanely good. Clarity and speed is what you'd expect from Estats. I use round stators.

That's very impressive FR. Very, very nice!

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,525 of 4,058
@quintile The free air resonance is around 160-170Hz for the circle and as far as I remember around 150-160 for the ellipse.
@qu1en Very impressive FR indeed, I like your 1K-8K curve, I always got a high peaks and lows there.
Yes, the above FRs are terrible, I think this is because of the very bad setup. I don't have the DSP ears, I was using a autolevel mic, and I just put it on the table inside the phone cup. I did these in a hurry, just to compare ellipse with circle, because they were made at the same conditions.
Here is my old measurement with the circles It showed less than 3dB in 10Hz, and in 10-1K flatness. And yes - the bass is incredible.
circle_120Hz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back