My deepest condolences go out to Sugarfried and all those who are suffering...
Jul 21, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 57
Just saw the post, and thanks to all of you. All of us at Shure are just devastated by this.

I've worked with Doug, John and Michael on a variety of things over the past few years. Doug, John and I (and lots of others at Shure) went to lots of trade shows all over the country together. There was no one better to travel with than those guys. Doug was a complete riot all the time. He started at Shure a few weeks after I did in November 1998. We went through a lot of the orientation stuff together, and he charmed everyone. He was hysterical. John was also at a lot of trade shows over the past few years, and I really got to know his when we went to Germany in March 2004. Like Doug, John was one of the funniest people I ever knew. I got to know Michael about two years ago playing pool on a night when a group of Shure people went to a local hangout of ours, The Mark (In Chicago). Shortly after that he joined the E4 development team. He was awesome as a teammate. Very creative and superbly friendly.

Really, three of the very nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Endearing, interesting, thought-provoking, inspiring. Tireless in their musical endeavors too. All three of them.

Doug played in many bands during the seven years I worked with him. Most recently he was in two bands, The Dials and Exo. John played with The Returnables, and Michael played with Silkworm. These three men were incredibly talented and unique. Each of them was friends to just about anyone they met. They were all so funny in their own ways. Everyday interaction with them was always hilarious. If you read any of the online banter at any of their sites (or loads of other sites currently talking about this incident) it will show how much they were loved, and how much they will be missed.

I live just a few blocks from where the accident occurred. I drive on that road everyday, sometimes several times a day because I usually eat lunch at home with my wife and three month old daughter. The day of the accident I left a little later than normal – somewhere around 12:20. I would have possibly been in their position if I had left at noon. Two other work friends drove that same route just five minutes before the accident. They, like me, wondered what had happened on our drives back to work, because the traffic was worse than it had ever been. One guy noticed that John’s car was still in the Shure parking lot after work on Thursday, which was odd because he hadn’t been at work all afternoon and no one seemed to know why. I saw the news that night, and it said two were killed, four injured. They didn’t release names. The footage looked gruesome –tough to believe people were actually in those cars. I didn’t make the connection…

Friday morning the news hit like a brick. The entire building was in shock. We were in total disbelief, even though we knew it must be true.

The funerals and memorial services were wonderful and devastating all the same. Just seeing how many people came out to pay their respects was inspiring. The event for Michael was held at Steve Albini’s studio in Chicago, Electrical Audio. They decorated the room with Michael’s drum kit and had pictures of him all over the studio. Families of all three were there, sharing memories and rejoicing that we had the opportunity to meet three such wonderful men. It’s hard to process this whole situation. More than a few times I have drifted off in space while retelling the events to friends and family who have called me over the past week, thinking I must be dreaming.

I’m refraining from mentioning details/comments about the instigator of this tragedy. I have nothing constructive to offer on that subject.

If you pray, pray for these three fine men and their loved ones. And maybe even pray for the woman that caused it – she will need it.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #36 of 57
Sugarfried said:
I’m refraining from mentioning details/comments about the instigator of this tragedy. I have nothing constructive to offer on that subject.

If you pray, pray for these three fine men and their loved ones. And maybe even pray for the woman that caused it – she will need it.

Very classy post Sugarfried. Your expression of love and grief towards your friends is clearly heartfelt but expected. However, your concern for the woman who caused this tragedy is highly admirable and certainly unexpected.

Your forgiveness and love will certainly carry you through this very unfortunate happening. I say we at head-fi offer up a prayer for Sugarfried and his family too.... I know I will.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #37 of 57
My condolences go out to family, friends, co-workers and all others affected by this mindless act of selfishness.

I'm speechless that something like this could have happened...

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #38 of 57
I also offer my deepest condolences to the families and friends affected by this terrible tragedy.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #40 of 57
Very sad.Three very talented peoples lives ended in such a tragic and senseless manner.I can't even begin to understand.What was this woman thinking?
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
What was this woman thinking?
confused.gif

I wish I knew. TV cameras were at the funerals and memorials, and the papers all have daily coverage of the status. Her lawyer is already starting her defense publicly (she hasn't showed up in court yet). I'm going to hate this.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Just out of sheer curiousity, I looked up the woman whose attempted suicide caused all this. A model living in the Chicago area, unbelievably beautiful. Set to spend the entirety of her life behind bars, either in jail or mental institution.

This may have no relevance, but I thought I should share this information. The girl was an exotic "dancer" at a Gentlemans club near here. I have confirmed this 100%. I also know that she has had an extremely rough upbringing and been a rebel for most of her life. If this post is innapropriate, please let me know and I'll delete it.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #43 of 57
That is very tragic news indeed. My most sincere condolences to the families and friends.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I hope there is a special place in hell reserved for people like her.

I suspect this sorry soul was already in her own private hell before she committed this atrocious murder. I pray she will come to her senses in prison and realize the extent of what she did.

I likewise offer my condolensces.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
This may have no relevance, but I thought I should share this information. The girl was an exotic "dancer" at a Gentlemans club near here. I have confirmed this 100%. I also know that she has had an extremely rough upbringing and been a rebel for most of her life. If this post is innapropriate, please let me know and I'll delete it.

We've heard varying bits and pieces, and the papers have dug up some other information as well. It's definitely obvious that she had some problems. I googled her name on friday afternoon when it was first released and the modeling page was the only page that came up. Now there are hundreds of links to news outlets, music websites and blogs...

Doug, John and Michael would not be happy with the manner in which they have become known. They would rather their talents be the reason rather than their demise.

Michael's family was here today to see his work space and to pick up his personal belongings. How sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back