my DAC design - pup1 DAC
May 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #256 of 675
Not near Simcoe, yesterday. Did my first ever 100km on Saturday and went through Uxbridge/Zephyr.

My knees are still recovering. Getting old is a pain.

It was however a wonderful weekend for being on the bike.

Right now the big wait is for tomb to finish his and see what results he gets.

May 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #257 of 675
Actually, I live just north of Zephyr, in Pefferlaw.
My wife works in Uxbridge.

Quote:
Not near Simcoe, yesterday. Did my first ever 100km on Saturday and went through Uxbridge/Zephyr.
My knees are still recovering. Getting old is a pain.
It was however a wonderful weekend for being on the bike.
Right now the big wait is for tomb to finish his and see what results he gets.

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #258 of 675
Keep on riding Cobalmute! save the DAC work for the rainy days!

I continue to enjoy the rev 1 every day! I am now running it after a USB isolator on some pretty filtered power.... Might even try it on batteries for fun.

May 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #260 of 675
Dang, this pisses me off - I don't have any time anymore!  I've got two of them pretty much populated with the SMD parts.  Hopefully, I'll have the rest finished in a couple of days.  Just an FYI, but I have never seen this amount of discrete regulation on a USB-powered DAC.  Every voltage supply imaginable is regulated - even more so than in the first prototype.  The charge pump is separate, and the opamp chip being located on the back side makes it a bit easier to replace, if needed.  I'm building one with the OPA2835 and the other with the OPA2836 (faster chip, but it may have more offset).

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #262 of 675
Quote:
I could add maybe one or two more regulators.....

Well, if you think it would help ...
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #263 of 675
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Finally!  I finished two of these - probably the finest USB-powered DACs I've ever heard and among the finest overall, period, I think (bias admitted).  I made some stupid mistakes along the way, but ended up with both of them essentially working the first time out, except for one particular stupid thing.  The stupid thing was that I was so eager to get them clean and spent so much time rinsing them with alcohol that it left quite a bit of fluid under the chips (unbeknownst to me).  They kept cutting out on me yesterday at random and driving me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.  Now that they're dry, there's been no hiccups at all - just clean, sterling sound with more bass, more highs detail and resolution than the earlier pupDAC, and that same seductive mid-range.

As for the offset, I think we're saying that cobaltmute's version may be a fluke.  Mine measured 1mV on the left and right RCA jack (referenced from the "GND" test point) with one pupDAC and 0mV left and 1mV right on the other pupDAC.  So, I don't think we have an issue with offset.

My understanding with cobaltmute is that very little will change on the final production versions - just a bit of spacing to work out. The RCA jacks either need to have their front pins sliced off, or you need to carefully roll and force them into position onto the front edge of the PCB (what I did). Also, the Mica capacitors are too big for the lead spacing on the PCB, but I found if you pull the leads with a pair of pliers, you can get them down pretty close to the PCB surface. Finally, the C10 electrolytic is too close to one of the Mica caps, but all you need to do is bend it forward slightly to clear the electrolytic. The pads for the PCM chips have the same clearance as the original, so they are a bit challenging.

Needless to say, these are not beginner builds. I actually destroyed one PCB before completing these two (OK, I was out of practice, I admit).  I have 5 PCB's left and they will go to 5 of the following people who've already expressed an interest earlier in this thread:

Avro_Arrow
forsakenrider
Misterrogers
c12mech
scootsit
Mullet

However, you MUST PM me through Head-Fi and confirm that your interest is still valid, and send me your NAME and ADDRESS.  Price will be $20 plus postage payable to Paypal (the PCB's cost me $15 each from Imagineering), but that will include all three output jacks, since those were the only parts ordered from DigiKey instead of Mouser.  Also, I will attempt to supply all the PCM1794 chips and as many PCM2707 and TPS chips as I can (I have several of each, but not sure if I've got 5 of each).  Note that the PCM1794 is $13.62 at Mouser, just by itself.

First come, first serve!!!

P.S. Many, many thanks to cobaltmute for such an excellent design!!!

P.S. 2 - Looks like I missed one user, so there's 6 and only 5 PCB's - First come, first serve!

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #266 of 675
Good lookin' Tom!

PM sent... can't wait to build this "Puppy" :wink:

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #268 of 675
Quote:
The pads for the PCM chips have the same clearance as the original, so they are a bit challenging.  
Needless to say, these are not beginner builds.

If this is the same as the first one a bit challenging is an understatement.  I think I remember trying to re-flow both those chips three or four times and still had to play with it some before I got it right.   

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #269 of 675
Quote:
Finally!  I finished two of these - probably the finest USB-powered DACs I've ever heard and among the finest overall, period, I think (bias admitted).

...And what DACs are you comparing the Pup to?

I'll be able to compare it to the Gamma-1/2 and GrubDAC, so I'll definitely be posting my impressions.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #270 of 675
Is there an updated BOM or is it all the same parts with just a different layout?

I will be able to compare it to the original prototype and a couple of different Buffalo 3 builds I'm doing.  I know the Buffalo is not a fair fight really but it would be nice to how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back