my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #316 of 675
Got the parts today! Pretty stoked for these upcoming builds. I decided to not case the PupDAC and Wire together. It might cost me a little more in the long run for FPE, Hammond case, etc. but I'll get more versatility out of the DAC.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #317 of 675
Misterrogers and forsakenrider what "Wire" PCBs did you get? The rework version?

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #319 of 675
I was thinking of doing a version of "the Wire", but I will call my version "the String"..
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Misterrogers and forsakenrider what "Wire" PCBs did you get? The rework version?

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #322 of 675
The "string"... hehe.

I think the only SE-SE boards left (being hoarded) are the rework version. It's not a big deal... you just need an exact-o knife to cut out a few traces. Then solder in some wire to connect things back up. I'm going to use some ethernet scrap wire to fix things up.

Just ordered parts for both projects. I think the cost for the Pup DAC was around $36 with a Hammond case. The panels will be $40-50 and the order from TomB was $25. So all together with a nice case this should cost around $110. Not bad for a higher caliber USB DAC. It'll be way less if you case it up with something else or drill your own panels.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #323 of 675
Quote:
The "string"... hehe.

I think the only SE-SE boards left (being hoarded) are the rework version. It's not a big deal... you just need an exact-o knife to cut out a few traces. Then solder in some wire to connect things back up. I'm going to use some ethernet scrap wire to fix things up.

Just ordered parts for both projects. I think the cost for the Pup DAC was around $36 with a Hammond case. The panels will be $40-50 and the order from TomB was $25. So all together with a nice case this should cost around $110. Not bad for a higher caliber USB DAC. It'll be way less if you case it up with something else or drill your own panels.

That sounds perfect, I've been looking for something just like that, can't wait for the regular build!!

If someone makes a SE board similar to the wire, I'm in, too.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #324 of 675
Anyone received their package, yet?  I was hoping at least Mullet had.  He's the closest.  I think Misterrogers will take a day longer.  The rest of you are out of the country (at least off the mainland), so it will take a few days longer, still. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #326 of 675
Anyone received their package, yet?  I was hoping at least Mullet had.  He's the closest.  I think Misterrogers will take a day longer.  The rest of you are out of the country (at least off the mainland), so it will take a few days longer, still. 

I might have - I'm away for business and it might be waiting for me at the office. Here's hoping!

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #327 of 675
Hey did the BOM get sent out and I missed it? or how is Mullet ordering his parts!

I've got 2 wire rework boards and one bal-se board. I need to order parts for that at the same time at my Pup parts and also some sort of PSU.... Oh the projects are piling up!

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #328 of 675
I received mine yesterday. Take a look a few posts back. I mentioned it. The BOM is included with the package. Most of the ICs were included with the package. If anyone wants here is the a mouser order sans most of the ICs. They didn't have the red led with the given specs so I went with an orange led with matching specs. The Hammond case is also included.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=6a840912de

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #329 of 675
Quote:
I've got 2 wire rework boards and one bal-se board. I need to order parts for that at the same time at my Pup parts and also some sort of PSU.... Oh the projects are piling up!

I know the feeling. I've also got a EHHA Rev A in the wings. I mentioned a power supply for "The Wire" a few posts back. I also ordered this transformer from Digikey, which is supposed to be really good and small. The caveat is it's expensive. TE62043-ND. I'm looking at spending about $150 on my "Wire" when all is said and done.

TomB - Do you happen to have those measurements on hand? At this point, I'm definitely going to have panels made at FPE or CamXpert depending on who is cheaper.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #330 of 675
tomb is waiting on getting set of DXFs from me that Autocad will actually read to do the dimensions. For some reason the exports that I'm sending him aren't working, and I haven't had the time in the last week to go digging to figure out what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back