*&%$. My Curse Begins. [First Post]
Nov 6, 2007 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TyrOdin

New Head-Fier
So I started lurking around this forum a month or so ago. I - like most - wanted to get a good set of cans for general usage (PC is my primary source) and read about amps thinking to myself "get f'ing serious." Laughed several times at the way people would describe how something sounds. "IMHO this set of cans is too breezy and lacks definitive and rotund lower mids," HA.

The more I read though, the more I began to lust.

First purchase: Senn HD595. Pretty good but not amazing. Seemed a bit ... I dunno ... restrained? Ended up returning them. Probably could have used an amp but I couldnt really say I preferred them definitively over my roommate's 580s.

Second purchase: iPod 3G nano --> 30 pin Cardas --> CMoy --> Grado SR225. Very pleased with this setup. I spend tremendous amounts of time working in a lab and having my music with me really makes the time fly by. I suddenly begin to hear what music SHOULD sound like. Rachmaninov to Hilltop Hoods suddenly sound full, broad, dynamic and tight. I'm officially bitten by the bug.

Third purchase: Heed CanAmp --> AKG K701 for home listening. Soon to be fourth purchase: a DAC to go with it. I'm guessing this is the moment many identify as their first "eargasm." I know there are many people looking at similar purchases/gear and as soon as I get a chance to let my gear burn in etc. I will post my thoughts. Recommendations on a DAC for this setup (from my PC) would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about a Zhaolu D2.5. Nonetheless, I'd like to stay under $500.

I'm already close to a grand in and I'm looking around thinking "how the hell did this happen?! I started out looking for some respectable headphones for when I cant blast my Swan S200a's and now I've got a home and portable setup."

My wallet is now a pile of ashes.

Curse YOU, Head-Fi. Curse you.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 24
...and all these only took a month? WOW.

*BTW, according to the new anti-terrorist guidelines, Head-fi is officially classified as: Weapon for Money Declination.

...or Weapon for Money Destruction, if you spent too much.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 24
Wow! I've been on head-fi for about almost seven months and I have yet to reach that amount. At least you've skipped a lot of middle-ground stuff and have gotten into some of the higher end gear.

But only one month?! Man...since I'm married, I just don't think that would ever be possible. My wife would leave me...I'm almost sure of it.

Congrats on the gear. Hope that after the DAC you feel a little more content.

Nylan

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 24
TyrOdin, what is your real name? Bill Gates
confused.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*BTW, according to the new anti-terrorist guidelines, Head-fi is officially classified as: Weapon for Money Destruction.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Good one, ClieOS.

And the standard greeting to you, TyrOdin: "Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet."

Once you are bitten by the bug, it is very hard to avoid upgraditis; as you can see from my profile, I have completely failed to avoid it.

With my copmputer set up I use the Firestone Fubar DAC II with the upgraded power supply ("Supplier.) http://www.firestoneaudio.com.au/pro...cts/fubar.html
This is their Australian site so the $$ is not USD - together I believe the cost is around $220 + shipping. The Fubar II is a nice looking, good sounding DAC, IMHO, and works for me, but it is just one USB DAC of many that you can check into; my computer is not my main music source so I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a DAC for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have fun with your DAC research and with your on-going audio journey!

Holly

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man...since I'm married, I just don't think that would ever be possible. My wife would leave me...I'm almost sure of it.

I've found a way round that problem. I travel about 100 nights a year with work and get a sum (~ $50) for food etc. per night (the sum is set by danish state and is not taxed). As I at the same time happen to be in the top level of the frequent stayer program of my chosen hotel chain I basically get breakfast and dinner for free with the room and lunch is usually given by whatever customer I work for so I effectively have no expenses to be covered by this sum. That nicely amounts to about $5000 a year. This sum is split equally between my music addiction (gear, cd's and live concerts) and family outings/hollidays (I also get free hotel nights). Everybody is happy
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 24
I'm actually glad you jumped up high to begin with, although you may find that you don't fully appreciate what you have just yet..

one thing to avoid is expecting the "perfect" sound that you have been lusting over. Every(well most of us with limited budgets at least) system has some compromises, so once you find what you like, be happy with what you have and enjoy listening to the music. It can get easy to concentrate on better gear all the time VS the music.

thats my 6 cents

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 24
well, this is my second week on headfi, and i am:
Sondigo Inferno->Beresford TC-7510 MK6/2->Little Dot MKIII->AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT990-2005. yep... $1300 in 2 weeks... damn you headfi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back