My current stereo/headphone setup
Sep 21, 2012 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wavid

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, i just built my computer and decided to use my old NAD c372 hooked up to the motherboard soundcard (z77 Extreme 4) using B&W  601 speakers or Grado 225/Sen HD280/TB P11 headphones (depending on the situation).
I was wondering how i can improve the sound from this setup?
I know i could sit my B&W 602s here and have better sound because it was my old stereo setup but i use them in my 5.1 TV setup now and they would be too big for the computer....

what would be a good purchase right now for this setup?
I have a PCI Emu 0404 soundcard at home that i got at a carboot sale a while ago but i cant find the cables for it atm, is it worth looking for them or just buying a new soundcard?
Is having the NAD c372 + 601s  hooked up to the computer a bad idea? I could sell them and get something cheaper/better to replace it.

Anyway i just dont know which direction to go with this...would prefer to keep the upgrade under £100

btw i use this computer mostly for gaming but also listen to alot of music (flac)

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Your NAD is an amp, right? I don't see anything wrong with it.
The onboard realtek audio is not bad, but you can always do better with an external USB dac.

Or if you plan to use a 5.1 setup and gaming features, you can get a soundcard. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 11
yes its a c372 amp....and its a very good amp....tbh the sound i get already is amazing, and i just hooked up the B&W 602s instead of the 601s and wow big difference....think il keep them..

but im wondering if i can make it better...so you said the onboard SC is not bad? thats good...is it worth putting my Emu 0404 in?
i dont know anything about DACs, what should i be looking for?

i wont be looking for 5.1

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 11
You can go for a USB DAC, there's tons of options...some will have a headphone amp built in, but depends on your tastes. Use the line out from DAC into your NAD.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 11
The Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $50) should come with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip then whatever is built into your motherboard.
With your headphones plugged into your NAD C372, the Xonar DX or D1 should be able to provide Dolby Headphone surround sound.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 11
you think those will do much better than a Emu 0404 PCI?..i mean i already have it but need to find the cables for it, or should i just go for one of the Asus cards and dump the 0404?

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
you think those will do much better than a Emu 0404 PCI?..i mean i already have it but need to find the cables for it, or should i just go for one of the Asus cards and dump the 0404?

I really know very little about the EMU0404, so I really have no idea on being able to compare the cards.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

I may be wrong, but the EMU seems to be geared towards recording? I mean, based on most of the search results that come up ...
However, you can get a USB DAC like the ODAC for around 150 bucks from JDS labs. Or if you're ok with DIY you can just get the board ($99) and solder the connectors yourself, it'll be cheaper.
I recommend a USB DAC if you don't need any gaming or 5.1 features, because its standalone, and free from the noisy RF filled atmosphere of your PC.
Since your usage is not portable, this is among the cheaper options to try.

I'd still suggest you to first use your EMU and see if there's any difference. If yes, that means the DAC is a bottleneck, and you may benefit from a dedicated DAC.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I may be wrong, but the EMU seems to be geared towards recording? I mean, based on most of the search results that come up ...

If you are quoting this from a certain blog, then I think the statement that it is not well suited for playback mainly refers to the headphone output, which likely has too high impedance. Using it as a source to an external amplifier, the E-Mu 0404 could be fine. Although it is a rather old card, and the drivers are allegedly outdated, and may not work reliably on newer Windows versions.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Hello, sorry to bring the thread back...ive looked and looked for the Emu cables but cannot find them so im going to have to just buy a new card of some sort.
Im looking at the Asus Xonar DX/D1 card that was previously recomended by Purpleangel, but have also found a cheaper option, the Asus Xonar DG.
What would be a better choice with my setup? I like the fact that i can get the DG for over half the price cheaper, but dont know how it will work with my NAD c372 vs how the DX will work with the c372

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Hello, bought myself a Asus Xonar DS second hand for a good price and hooked up the NAD c372 into it and dont think i notice much of a difference. Im using a rca to 3.5mm cable.
I think i should just settle with what i have, unless anyone has any other ideas.

My Grados do sound fantastic and i prob wont be buying other headphones for a long time, this is why i want to get the most out of my equipment without a big upgrade. 
I also switched the B&W 601 for 602 so speaker and headphone wise i wont be upgrading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back