My Core 2 Duo idles at 50C... What to do?
May 17, 2008 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Normally my E6300 is at like 20-30C, but for around a month now it's been running alot hotter than it should. Still not too hot, but hotter than normal.

I think it could be that the heatsink isn't seated properly, not sure though. That pushpin system doesn't seem very secure...

Any other idea's before I go out and buy a new heatsink?

May 17, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 25
I suggest you take off the heatsink and reapply the thermalpaste to see if reseating helps. Also, make sure your case fans are clean because that may also be a cause of increasing temperatures over time.

May 17, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncletank88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you take off the heatsink and reapply the thermalpaste to see if reseating helps. Also, make sure your case fans are clean because that may also be a cause of increasing temperatures over time.

Well I did that and it seems the pins are broken as I suspected...

Upon reseating it, I found that one of the plastic 'prongs' on the bottom was kinda bent outwards... It was very hard to get it back into place as whenever I pushed one it, another one popped out.

So I suppose a new cooler is necessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangerin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an inexpensive aftermarket cooler w/ heatpipes.

Thermalright or Sycthe would work pretty well.

Something inexpensive like this would work well. Not sure about availability in NZ

The only thing I'm worried about there is the size in my relatively small Antec Solo case...

May 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 25
Too bad you live outside of the States, I could have given you mine. You'll need a new one. The heatsink isn't going to work very well if it can't make good contact with the CPU.

May 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Dang. So a new heatsink it is....

Any recommendations for a quiet heatsink that is better than the stock, but not much more expensive, AND can fit inside a reasonable small case?

May 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #11 of 25
go to the bios and check your voltage, set a manual voltage if necesary. i cannot use my intel dual and quad cores with auto voltage because it would be so hot and go up to 180*F.

May 18, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 25
I don't think thats it because I had had the voltage set to auto before and the temps were fine...

I think one factor that is causing it be hotter than normal is that I just noticed my case fan isn't on so it must have got disconnected... I'll reconnect it and see if it's any cooler.

Edit: Well I just checked it out again and tried to reseat the cooler... But I think I made it worse. The plastic things are bent so they wont go into the holes on the mobo properly, except for one of them.

After trying to reseat it better, I turned it on and checked the temp in the bios... 88C! And it rose quickly to 92C just in the time it took for my finger to fly to the off button...

So now I'm on a crappy laptop, and I will do until I can buy a new cooler. I think I might just get another stock core 2 duo cooler as they're pretty quiet and manage to keep it cool enough. They're really the only reasonably priced option.

May 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 25
You remembered to turn the clips before trying to jam them in the holes right? They won't fit in easily without turning them first to unlock them and turning them back after to lock them in place.

May 18, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 25
I am having the same problem with my first ever built. I have an e8400 and it tends to get pretty hot around 60 C. The stock heatsink fan wont sit properly so I bought a new heatsink fan with screws instead of the pushpins. If you use speedfan and want to check if the heatsink fan is causing the problem, check the temperature and then push and hold the heatsink fan towards the processor. If the temperature begins to fall while your pushing it and holding it, then its probably the heatsink fan that isnt sitted properly.

May 18, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You remembered to turn the clips before trying to jam them in the holes right? They won't fit in easily without turning them first to unlock them and turning them back after to lock them in place.

Yeah I did that.

I tried again just now and it seemed to go in a bit better. It still rose to about 70C before I turned it off.

I'm thinking of getting the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as it is rather inexpensive and looks to be pretty good. The only other option is the thermaltake Silent 775.

And opinions on these two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back