My Computer consumes 150 megs ram when nothing is running.
Aug 26, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Yeah, I feel the same way when PC users start talking about Macs
very_evil_smiley.gif
(sorry, grinch, you had to see that coming
smily_headphones1.gif
)

But seriously, you never know when the person you're talking to online really *does* have a clue -- or maybe even had a hand in actually writing the software or designing the hardware in question
wink.gif

being a pessimist, i generally assume that nobody ever has a slight clue as to what they are talking about. i find this works out better for me in the end. i definitely have had way too many friends who were either compulsive liars, or know-it-all-wannabes who didn't have a damn clue. question everything, unless you've done it yourself (my motto).

after hanging out on hardware forums for years, and recently finding them SO muddled with thirteen year olds who ask the same very basic questions over and over and over again.. i've really gotten sick of hearing about it. your parents bought you a dell so they/you wouldn't need to ask questions.. so please shutup and read!

on a side note, i went into a local mac store recently and nobody talked to me.. it was probably because i was carrying around my new microsoft keyboard in a clear best buy bag though.
wink.gif
sometimes i actually consider getting an ibook or a mac of some kind (and an ipod).. but then i think about how much i like using eac for ripping mp3s and can't stand drag-and-drop anything and it seems like such a waste for something that will be little more than a server. oh well, maybe someday when i become a laser surgeon who specializes in tattoo-removal will i be able to afford such frivolities..

Aug 26, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #47 of 72
p.s. i will (generally) be the first to tell you that i've used macs for about five minutes altogether in my life and know nothing about them.. but i hear they suck.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #48 of 72
for a great hardware forum, look no further than ars technica. I spent a TON of time over there, before I found head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif
They helped me build my first computer. Now I'm crankin' em out for friends and relatives(note to self: BAD, BAD idea. Being tech support sucks, although I do get the occasional gift card. . .)

Aug 26, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #49 of 72
Sigh...I wish people would actually read threads before misquoting....

Zanth said: Quote:

Sorry, they are bloated OS's. Nothing you can do but upgrade.

Implying that if the problem remained...and one still desired using a Microsoft OS then upgrading the HARDWARE would speed things up. The original poster mentioned ram value of 256 Megs...
increasing this value would solve performance degredation since 150 Megs were eaten up. If he couldn't tweak it to run with less at baseline then upping the RAM would solve it.

However, MacDEF in his wisdom misquotes me and states: Quote:

Sorry, I read your post, then read Zanth's post where he said to upgrade to Pro, and put 2 and 2 together and got 5

I never mentioned XP Pro upgrade as the original poster stated the OS in question already.

Now dealing with grinch....if you think that 2k is not bloated you have 0 concept of what a streamlined OS is all about. ALL MS PRODUCTS ARE BLOATED. Remember that line, I state it with 100% confidence. If you don't want bloat, go Linux or *BSD. Just because you were able to streamline your base Ram usage to 60 megs does not go to argue the point that 2k is not bloated...sadly you didn't read what I said, or at the very least your assumption of what I meant is erroneous.

Then you post this lovely statement:

Quote:

2k is AWESOME. xp just sucks. i ran into all kinds of stupid problems running it and reinstalled 2k pro and haven't looked back since. i have 768mb of ram with dual p3 933 and the whole system is snappy as hell (pagefile on my x15 scsi drive helps though ).

Not only do you begin the ignorant flames of OH MAN THIS IS SOOO AWESOME, but yours SUCKS argument, you are also running a system which smokes the original posters, hence of course you would not feel any of the performance loss he was experiencing. If you installed the first version of XP and had problems, it was likely due to poor driver development at that time. XP is by far more stable with modern drivers and modern hardware and womps 2k for this type of stability. I am not going to touch security issues as this was not the intention of this post.

Finally, 98se is NOT the fastest OS from MS. This comes straight from an MS OS designer. XP boots faster, XP uses high amounts of RAM effectively where 98se falls apart. XP can effectively manage the cpu and maximize its bus use. 98se can't. XP is MUCH more stable than 98se in any test you want to throw at it. 2k may be more stable at first install but a de-eyecandied XP system fully secured with IE disabled is more secure than 2k, this is from the security testing of MS. Don't like their methods? Most would not, they are inherently ****ty with security so go *BSD or Linux or something else and save the hassles. Ctn, if you are still using 98se, then you can't really know that much about computers. The file system alone should have clued you in on an upgrade.

Regardless of all this, streamlining a computer is wonderful for those who know how. If not, or one does not want to put the effort into it....throwing in more RAM will do the trick for this problem.

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

2k is AWESOME. xp just sucks. i ran into all kinds of stupid problems running it and reinstalled 2k pro and haven't looked back since. i have 768mb of ram with dual p3 933 and the whole system is snappy as hell (pagefile on my x15 scsi drive helps though ).

This is of course presuming that the original poster was using XP Pro, Dual processor doesn't work on XP Home whatsoever...

Also, one thing that should be noted, which is not, even in Microsofts instructions, is that XP is only any good as a clean install... as an OS upgrade, I've never heard of ANYONE who has had 100% success, I myself had no ability to move files around on my HD without losing the privileges to view / use them afterwards... A clean install gave me a nice zippy system
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Sigh...I wish people would actually read threads before misquoting....
[snip]
However, MacDEF in his wisdom misquotes me and states:

I never mentioned XP Pro upgrade as the original poster stated the OS in question already.

Sorry... I read the following:

Quote:

Okay, first of all, Win2k and XP both idle nicely using 100-120 Megs of Ram. Sorry, they are bloated OS's. Nothing you can do but upgrade.

And thought by "XP" you meant standard XP. Then you said they're bloated, and that the only thing to do is upgrade, which I (mis)interpreted to mean "upgrade to Pro."

There was no "misquoting" -- I simply misinterpreted your comments. I'm sorry; I meant no harm.

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Ctn, if you are still using 98se, then you can't really know that much about computers.

I give up...

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 72
How about this quote, describing Tyll's reaction to the SR-60s:
Can you $%#*$ BELIEVE these cheap Grados?!?!" Tyll screamed at me. (He's really quite a stuffed shirt, that Tyll. Gotta get him to open up more, get loose.)

Aug 28, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #56 of 72
boy oh boy, where do i start..?

Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth

Implying that if the problem remained...and one still desired using a Microsoft OS then upgrading the HARDWARE would speed things up. The original poster mentioned ram value of 256 Megs...
increasing this value would solve performance degredation since 150 Megs were eaten up. If he couldn't tweak it to run with less at baseline then upping the RAM would solve it.

it's this kind of mentality that makes me wish these consumer piggies would read more than they talk. simple tweaks and system upgrades can drastically change system speed, but we don't want to take the time to read and learn how to do these things. the human consumer sees their computer acting slow and decide to get a new one. simple as that.

Quote:

Now dealing with grinch....if you think that 2k is not bloated you have 0 concept of what a streamlined OS is all about. ALL MS PRODUCTS ARE BLOATED. Remember that line, I state it with 100% confidence. If you don't want bloat, go Linux or *BSD. Just because you were able to streamline your base Ram usage to 60 megs does not go to argue the point that 2k is not bloated...sadly you didn't read what I said, or at the very least your assumption of what I meant is erroneous.

gee, i didn't realize all ms products are bloated.. thanks for the update. i've used plenty of unix os's before and i know what 0 bloat is. i stated that 2k is not bloated because we're talking about consumers here, not hardcore geeks. none of these posters are going to say "oh, ms sucks? let me try out linux instead!" and that be the end of it. on this level, 2k is the least bloated of the ms os's. i read what you said and using only 60mb of ram at idle is simply not possible when running xp, i don't care what eyecandy you turn off. this is my point. they took 2k and added eyecandy and you have xp.. so if you want the least amount of bloat, why not use the original product? oh wait, i guess i should tell every friend who asks me about their computer problem to just use linux instead..

Quote:

Not only do you begin the ignorant flames of OH MAN THIS IS SOOO AWESOME, but yours SUCKS argument, you are also running a system which smokes the original posters, hence of course you would not feel any of the performance loss he was experiencing. If you installed the first version of XP and had problems, it was likely due to poor driver development at that time. XP is by far more stable with modern drivers and modern hardware and womps 2k for this type of stability. I am not going to touch security issues as this was not the intention of this post.

my system is over two years old. how can it "smoke" these brand new systems running ddr ram? their bus speeds are double mine and their cpu architecture is much newer. the answer is simple: i use windows 2000 professional and know how to tweak for speed and stability. i also know things like "anti-virus software is useless and sucks", "install security patches", "use brain when running shady .exe files", "when installing the os, separate music/games/pagefile from apps/system via multiple partitions." these things make an immense difference in overall system speed (in my situation anyway).

Quote:

Finally, 98se is NOT the fastest OS from MS. This comes straight from an MS OS designer. XP boots faster, XP uses high amounts of RAM effectively where 98se falls apart. XP can effectively manage the cpu and maximize its bus use. 98se can't. XP is MUCH more stable than 98se in any test you want to throw at it. 2k may be more stable at first install but a de-eyecandied XP system fully secured with IE disabled is more secure than 2k, this is from the security testing of MS. Don't like their methods? Most would not, they are inherently ****ty with security so go *BSD or Linux or something else and save the hassles. Ctn, if you are still using 98se, then you can't really know that much about computers. The file system alone should have clued you in on an upgrade.

i don't really care about this statement since it's really you going at ctn.. but for games, yes it is. microsoft designers (why exactly should i be listening to those idiots?) must not play games at all. there are zillions of hardware boards where people still happily use win98se for their systems, but i agree it sucks ass and i've been using 2000 since rc0 because win98se sucks so much. but that's just my opinion.

Quote:

Regardless of all this, streamlining a computer is wonderful for those who know how. If not, or one does not want to put the effort into it....throwing in more RAM will do the trick for this problem.

i agree with this.. i guess. but i still think it's a really stupid mentality, reguardless of how true it is.

Aug 29, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #57 of 72
I'll agree with Grinch here. Those few things he mentioned have kept this box up running happily on the Althlon XP 1400 or whatever (that I won free) using Windows 2k. And I've only ever gotten a virus once (a worm off KaZaaaaaiiii...) because I knew I shouldn't double click it but did anyway. And it was easy to clean off with the instructions on an anti-virus site.

Aug 29, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #58 of 72
Hrmmmm:

Grinch said:

Quote:

it's this kind of mentality that makes me wish these consumer piggies would read more than they talk. simple tweaks and system upgrades can drastically change system speed, but we don't want to take the time to read and learn how to do these things. the human consumer sees their computer acting slow and decide to get a new one. simple as that.

I do hope you are not implying I am a said piggy. As I use Debian and FreeBSD I would assume I do not fit the profile. As well, from what I wrote:

Quote:

If he couldn't tweak it to run with less at baseline then upping the RAM would solve it.

Listen, I am really sorry to have to break this to you but MOST people do not want to take the time to read through much documentation, web pages, books etc to tweak their system. When RAM can be had for $50, it is much easier to slap down the cash throw in an extra 256 Megs and be done with it. Time is money and MANY people do not care about computers; they simply want their own to work. Their time is more precious than, in their minds, wasting it reading stuff they don't find the least bit interesting. Let's figure a base hourly wage of $10. Perhaps one could find the necessary info in 5 hours to get things going, but included in that 5 hours would be the actual act of tweaking and testing. This is a very humble time and pay scale. The $50 for the RAM is just easier for most. Seriously, why ask how to tweak a system in a headphone forum? Why not go to an irc channel for pc newbies, or an XP channel, an XP site etc...no instead the question was posed here. Quick and dirty is what I offered. Buy more ram to fix it right up or go hunting for the proper tweaks on COMPUTER sites.

Then grinch writes:
Quote:

. i stated that 2k is not bloated because we're talking about consumers here, not hardcore geeks. none of these posters are going to say "oh, ms sucks? let me try out linux instead!" and that be the end of it. on this level, 2k is the least bloated of the ms os's. i read what you said and using only 60mb of ram at idle is simply not possible when running xp, i don't care what eyecandy you turn off. this is my point. they took 2k and added eyecandy and you have xp.. so if you want the least amount of bloat, why not use the original product? oh wait, i guess i should tell every friend who asks me about their computer problem to just use linux instead..

My point EXACTLY. We ARE dealing with consumers here. Consumers DO NOT want to waste their time searching for info on how to tweak their system. "You mean I can spend $50 and get 256 megs and I won't feel the pinch anymore? Super!"

That is what the common reaction is. I KNOW this. I work at a high tech place and many of the management come to us for advice. Mention registry, control panel or any number of "areas" to begin and most will shudder. Tell them they can spend $50 and be done with it and they give a big thumbs up and go away smiling. This is my experience, this is the experience of many who have experience with consumers and hence the easy suggestion.

Then you wrote:

Quote:

my system is over two years old. how can it "smoke" these brand new systems running ddr ram? their bus speeds are double mine and their cpu architecture is much newer. the answer is simple: i use windows 2000 professional and know how to tweak for speed and stability. i also know things like "anti-virus software is useless and sucks", "install security patches", "use brain when running shady .exe files", "when installing the os, separate music/games/pagefile from apps/system via multiple partitions." these things make an immense difference in overall system speed (in my situation anyway).

First, did you READ what Flasken had under the hood?

An Athlon 1700+ at 1.47 Ghz, this is not better than your dual 933s. He also has 256 Megs of SDRAM...not DDR. You have 786 Megs of SDRAM....even if yours was 100 MHz and his was 133 MHz you SMOKE his system....you also run scsi drives, and who knows what else. You take the time to learn and know what is out there, how to tweak things etc. Good for you. I do as well, but it is very apparent that Flasken here does not have the same beast you have the privilege of running and once again...you seem to like having more than 256 Megs or RAM, I am sure he would too. I mean...surely one such as yourself running the highly functional, finely tuned Win 2k would not really need anything about 256? I mean you have an idle of 60? But wait you DO have a high amount of RAM, you know it speeds things up and I am certain you can attest to the fact that DOUBLING RAM will surely make at least an equal if not greater difference to the performance of his system vs. just tweaking.

Anyway, Flasken in the end, if you want immediate performance hike plug in more ram, if you want to tweak the **** out of your system and getting it running bare bones until you can equal the hike you would get from adding more ram, dude go for it. You will learn much. It is your choice, hopefully all this bickering didn't get in the way of all of us helping you out. In the end that is all we were trying to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back