My Computer consumes 150 megs ram when nothing is running.
Aug 23, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 72
To find out if you have enough RAM, find the 14 meg aerial photo of WTC Ground Zero and load it up in Adobe Photoshop. If everything's nice and snappy, you're fine
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 72
Maybe this will help...

Went looking for info on max RAM for XP and came across a chat session with two guys who helped write the code for XP and users with questions. One of the users posted this comment.

"I’m running XP on a 1ghz P3 laptop with 256 meg of ram right now. Explorer.exe is taking about 37,000k of memory, my hard drive is thrashing, and performance just tanked, no programs are running, what’s xp doing?""

Carl Siechert says:

"It's probably the indexing service. In Task Manager, look at the Processes tab to track it down. If you don't use the indexing service for searches, you might want to disable it."

Hope this helps!

Bruce

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Hi!

Once again I summon the people of head-fi with computer knowledge...

As you can see in the title my problem is quite simple. Well, not really, because I know my computer acts slowly in windows, but I´m not sure if the heavy use of ram is the problem... Anyways, any suggestions/comments are welcome..

My guess is it's European inefficiency. Try moving to the United States or even Canada for a slight upgrade, I think you'll find that the amount taxed will be much lower and the result much better. Of course if you really want your computer to work like a brand-new Porsche 911Turbo, consider voting Libertarian once you get your citizenship.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 72
Welcome to WinXP. As others have said, XP by itself, untweaked, takes 100-130MB of RAM (!). That's what you get when you take Win2K and add lots of candy coating
wink.gif
Either get some more RAM and cut down on the eye candy, or upgrade to XP Pro. Actually, get more RAM *and* upgrade to XP Pro
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 72
You know people, computers need love!! LOVE YOUR COMPUTER!!! If you love your computer it will treat you right, remember the golden rule.

Also, applying the antidote for various voodoo curses in notepad is a goodway to keep things from going bad. I have prayers to "god", wacky formulae, anti-voodoo curse writings, all kinds of stuff on my desktop. I personally feel that it works, I think I made my roomate dissapear once with these anti-curses. The point is, nothing can save your computer, attempting to save it on an alternate plane of reality is the only way.

Just use your imagination and try to implement the formulae in a manner consistent with your favorite programming language!

Aug 23, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Okay, first of all, Win2k and XP both idle nicely using 100-120 Megs of Ram. Sorry, they are bloated OS's. Nothing you can do but upgrade.

you really can't know much of what you're talking about if you think 2k is bloated. 2k is AWESOME. xp just sucks. i ran into all kinds of stupid problems running it and reinstalled 2k pro and haven't looked back since. i have 768mb of ram with dual p3 933 and the whole system is snappy as hell (pagefile on my x15 scsi drive helps though
biggrin.gif
).

oh and by the way, when i boot up 2k there is 60mb of memory used. the only time it boots with more than that used is the first time an install boots up, right after setup..

Aug 23, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #22 of 72
My t-bird 850 runs at about 100 to 110 meg at idle, with XP Pro. I would like more ram (running with 256 now) but I have not had any problems. (but I do keep the eyecandy turned off).

Aug 23, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Also, applying the antidote for various voodoo curses in notepad is a goodway to keep things from going bad. I have prayers to "god", wacky formulae, anti-voodoo curse writings, all kinds of stuff on my desktop. I personally feel that it works, I think I made my roomate dissapear once with these anti-curses. The point is, nothing can save your computer, attempting to save it on an alternate plane of reality is the only way.

Oh my god Ai0tron, I needed a good laugh, and that got one rolling
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

My computer runs XP home, with 512mb, and fully bloated out including all start up programs, I still have 334mb free...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Welcome to WinXP. As others have said, XP by itself, untweaked, takes 100-130MB of RAM (!). That's what you get when you take Win2K and add lots of candy coating
wink.gif
Either get some more RAM and cut down on the eye candy, or upgrade to XP Pro. Actually, get more RAM *and* upgrade to XP Pro
wink.gif

What do you mean by "upgrade to xp pro" ?? I specifically stated in my thread starter that my OS is WinXPpro...

After some tweaking I've managed to bring the ram usage down to about 100 megs. Fine with me.

BACK TO PLAYING SSS YEAAAAAAH!!!!

Aug 24, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

What do you mean by "upgrade to xp pro" ?? I specifically stated in my thread starter that my OS is WinXPpro...

Sorry, I read your post, then read Zanth's post where he said to upgrade to Pro, and put 2 and 2 together and got 5
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #26 of 72
Xp isnt all that great.

MS tried to get a good OS with the advantages of 98se and 2k and failed misarably.

If you are after speed go for 98se, and 2k if you are after stability.

Im using 98se atm. Its miles ahead of 2k and xp in terms of speed.

Xp is targeted for newbies. as Sony streetstyles are
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #27 of 72
I beg to differ, 98se was slow as hell, well not at first, but after two months, preformance drops significantly. I hate reformating, it is just a pain.

Win XP pro on my laptop idles using 170MB of RAM. That is with everything running in the background (norton anti-virus, novell, wireless crap, palm software, ect). WIthout anything running I can get Win XP down to 100MB of RAM, but I wouldn't want to run my computer like that.

Do I care? No, not really.

When I am working on a troublesome computer, I like to apply percussive matinence. This is also know as "knocking the computer into its place". It may not help the problem, but it sure makes you feel better, especialy when accompanied by a shout of "Know your role!"

Aug 24, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I beg to differ, 98se was slow as hell, well not at first, but after two months, preformance drops significantly. I hate reformating, it is just a pain.

You have to learn to keep your comp in good shape. My comp is faster now than when I 1st installed 98se on it.

Aug 24, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Sorry, I read your post, then read Zanth's post where he said to upgrade to Pro, and put 2 and 2 together and got 5
wink.gif

Well, that is sort of a big miss in a math test, but here at head-fi you´ll be forgived.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back