My Choral housed Chord Mscaler
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #31 of 170
Lol i thought something was wrong skipping bitrates. Lol it appeared i was pressing the input select button😅

My Mscaler housing has no texts by the buttons (Dave also not actually)

Amazing sound!! This means i can plan to build the receivers into Dave. And start designing the optical TX pcb for in the scaler housing.

Cant wait to ditch the coax and have total shielding

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #32 of 170
Lol i thought something was wrong skipping bitrates. Lol it appeared i was pressing the input select button😅

My Mscaler housing has no texts by the buttons (Dave also not actually)

Amazing sound!! This means i can plan to build the receivers into Dave. And start designing the optical TX pcb for in the scaler housing.

Cant wait to ditch the coax and have total shielding
Impressive! :clap:

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 170
Now playing a bit.. the unit gets hand warm which means the fpga is cooling itself on the housing..

Superb harsch free sound.. thick massive metal has good shielding.. also no porthole for RF to leak out

IMG-20220929-WA0010.jpeg

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #34 of 170
Since i have my optic driver test pcb working on both 705 and 768k its time i put it in into the scaler housing and feed it by its own 5vdc

Also see if i can create a L shaped strip for in Dave and replace 2 BNC's

Then later i replace them by designed pcb's
Im too impatient to wait that out 😁

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #35 of 170
Fantastic project!

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #36 of 170
Now playing a bit.. the unit gets hand warm which means the fpga is cooling itself on the housing..

Superb harsch free sound.. thick massive metal has good shielding.. also no porthole for RF to leak out
A great fun project but what about the coloured ball holes in the casing for RF leakage? Also, depending on the wavelength it can also leak out of the join between the lid and the bottom half. Putting Dave directly on top of the Mscaler is not where I would put it out of preference but I see the fun of having them one on top of the other with the same aesthetic!. (I have my Dave and Mscaler 2m apart).

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #37 of 170
A great fun project but what about the coloured ball holes in the casing for RF leakage? Also, depending on the wavelength it can also leak out of the join between the lid and the bottom half. Putting Dave directly on top of the Mscaler is not where I would put it out of preference but I see the fun of having them one on top of the other with the same aesthetic!. (I have my Dave and Mscaler 2m apart).
I noticed RF radiation still leaks from coax cables.. more so than through the metal casing.. thats why putting them apart matters..
Its why i want to have only optical coming out of my mscaler's casing..

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #38 of 170
Ok its time to post the final part of my project where i will show how i installed the optical TX link in my Mscaler and the RX side in Dave.

I start with the Mscaler side.
Since i want to longer test my circuit before i make a final PCB i decided to place my experimental PCB inside.

I start with getting power from HMS's own 5v power rail. There are actually 3 regulators inside which make from 15VDC input: 5v, 3.3v and 1v for the FPGA.

HMS power.jpg

So i located the 5v one and found 3 caps in parallel on its output to add my own simple linear regulator using a potmeter.
Since my two Avago TX units draw only 150mA, a 0.5watt pot will suffice. I set it to 4.5v as i had best performance in that setting.

Regulator.jpg

Next is soldering shielded wires on the scaler's DBNC outputs. I take the signal as close as possible from the BNC pin to prevent reflection on a open end.
This way i leave the BNC's in place so i can still use them with coax.

DBNC solder.jpg

Then i placed the two Avago TX LED transmitters with the driver PCB. The wires are quite sturdy so it stays in place without screws.
I placed a paper around to prevent possible shortcuts. Later a PCB will be soldered on the Avago units keeping it in place.
I measured the DBNC GND is isolated from the PSU GND, so i DC decoupled my driver's output GND from its power GND.
I will post a circuit schematic of the driver later if there is interest.

TX driver.jpg

Then close the lid and my Mscaler is ready.

Next is modifying my Dave.
I waited with Dave until i was shure my link works.

So offcourse i start by opening it unscrewing the lid. I chose BNC inputs 3 and 4 as they have more room around them and are closer to the PSU.
Dave still keeps BNC's 1 and 2 for coax use.

Dave open.jpg

After taking out the visible PCB bolts i noticed it was still stuck in its casing. It appeared there is another bolt under the display. but the display is glued on the FPGA sink.
So i had no choice then to use a stanley knife to cut through the kit under it. BUT BE CAREFUL not to cut the display bandcable on the underside!
This display type is EOL and a new replacement would require a code change which obviously i cant do.

Display release.jpg

To get it out, the lockpin of the AES connector has to be removed:

AES release.jpg

Now only unscrew the headphone jack ring and the PCB is free from its casing.

Dave PCB out.jpg

Lets take BNC's 3 and 4 out by unsoldering them, they are part of a single molded unit with 4 electrical pins and 2 mechanical pins.
note: you need to set your solder iron quite hot on 400° to do this. I used a formed thick massive 2.5mm wire over all pins to heat them all together.

Dave BNC out.jpg

I wanted to build my Avago RX units inside DAVE without nuts on the outside, keeping the wires secure and short so i grabbed my iron saw and cut a L shaped piece out of a metal strip.

Strip metal.jpg

The L strip with drilled holes for the RX units and placement on Daves PCB. Two 2mm screws just fit through the PCB holes which before kept the BNC's in place:

L strip mount.jpg

The lower unit couldnt fit cause of the strip's screws sticking through, i didnt want to cut those to keep the strip strength so i rasped 2 corners out of the RX unit.
Prior to this i opened the RX unit to find all internal circuitry is sealed inside the tubed part and the housing is almost emty.

1st RX in.jpg

Now the second RX unit on top. Since the RX circuit is so simple and has so few components i decided not to make a PCB for this.
The signal DC decouple caps are soldered straight on Dave's PCB. I only used one GND pin since they are shared already.

2nd RX in.jpg

I want no external PSU or batteries to feed my optical link so i get power from Dave's own 5VDC power rails. The PCB has free solder pins aside the PSU connector.
There are no groundloops and picking up net RF possible this way. So i applied the same solution as in my Mscaler

Dave 5v pot.jpg

Now my Dave is ready to receive its dual data optical link and get a Mscaled signal free of any RF noise !
So lets put it back in its casing and make some final pictures of my new stack..

Both units with dual data optical: (i guess i will make my scaler's optical nuts black too)
20221002_103409.jpg

I already received my short dual fiber cable to neatly fit on my stack.
20221002_103612.jpg

20220928_230639.jpg

20221002_103306.jpg

20221002_104927.jpg

Thanks for reading my posting :)
Its finally time to really enjoy my music !!

20221002_104245.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #39 of 170
I give you my sincere compliments for all the work you have done.

In addition to the technical culture you had a lot of courage in doing all this!:clap::clap::clap:

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #40 of 170
Oh my word! Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on a project that you’ve realised to its full potential. Would you do it again….? Be prepared as you going to get an influx of requests… especially when the announcement arrives of the new Choral MScaler which may be priced out of almost everyone’s reach. I salute you! 🫡

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 170
Omg 😬 tears coming.. playing Lord of the Rings 48/24 to 768 what a grand stage..

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #43 of 170
20221002_232619.jpg

I can listen all night long.. what a difference no RF ..even with my most piercing recordings the harsch is completely gone..

Btw 8 y/o AK120 still going strong as transport with a optic output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back